Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Student Lounge No Krav for a bit ::cries::

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    zen4me

I guess I’m just posting mostly because I’m feeling a bit blue and want to cry on the shoulders of folks who’ll relate the most. I’m scheduled for ACL replacement next week and will be out of Krav for at least 6 months. It sucks!!

I recently tested for L3 and now I feel like I’m going to completely lose everything I regained after my accident last year and the subsequent recovery involved. Some words of encouragement would be hugely helpful.

I’m down 🙁

Thanks,
    Kelly

carpecanis

Re: No Krav for a bit ::cries::

Kelly,

You have my sypathies. I’m just getting back to KM after ACL surgery last October. It is frustrating as heck, but the time passes quicker than you’d expect.

My advice:

– Get a cryocuff, Donjoy Iceman, whatever… and lots and lots of ice. That Iceman was the best thing for a quick post-surgery recovery. Much better than icepacks or frozen pees. However, it’ll still chew up ice so load up your freezer before hand.

– Physical therapy and lots of it. Whatever they tell you to do, do it…. but if you’re into KM you already know about pushing yourself…

– Find a physical therapist that understands Marital Arts (I know, KM’s a self-defense system). I ran into this problem at the 4-month recovery mark. The PT folks I was seeing were used to dealing with old folks and soccer injuries. They were very helpful for the first 4 months but after that you should be working on sport-specific training. The first folks had no idea what to do at this point so I had to track down a different PT guy who had a TKD black belt.

Here’s some great advice for preparing yourself and your recovery space for the first fun-filled week of recovery:

http://users.jmts.com/~jimbo/acl/postop_list.html

Here’s a good blog for inspiration… good links to other blogs too:

http://middlema.blogspot.com/

Good Luck!
    Jason

zen4me

quote CarpeCanis:

Kelly,

You have my sypathies. I’m just getting back to KM after ACL surgery last October. It is frustrating as heck, but the time passes quicker than you’d expect.

My advice:

– Get a cryocuff, Donjoy Iceman, whatever… and lots and lots of ice. That Iceman was the best thing for a quick post-surgery recovery. Much better than icepacks or frozen pees. However, it’ll still chew up ice so load up your freezer before hand.

– Physical therapy and lots of it. Whatever they tell you to do, do it…. but if you’re into KM you already know about pushing yourself…

– Find a physical therapist that understands Marital Arts (I know, KM’s a self-defense system). I ran into this problem at the 4-month recovery mark. The PT folks I was seeing were used to dealing with old folks and soccer injuries. They were very helpful for the first 4 months but after that you should be working on sport-specific training. The first folks had no idea what to do at this point so I had to track down a different PT guy who had a TKD black belt.

Here’s some great advice for preparing yourself and your recovery space for the first fun-filled week of recovery:

http://users.jmts.com/~jimbo/acl/postop_list.html

Here’s a good blog for inspiration… good links to other blogs too:

http://middlema.blogspot.com/

Good Luck!
    Jason

Thanks for the info and encouragement, Jason. Much appreciated! Thankfully, the folks I’ll be going to for PT (and the doc that is doing my surgery) are well acquainted with MA’ists from what I’ve seen. Hopefully that will translate into a recovery that is geared more towards my needs.

– Kelly

mara-jade

Oh dang – bummer Kelly. I’ve had several friends who’ve gone through ACL surgery and came back to KM. Yup, PT will be of great help. One friend of mine was able to start training early by working hard on her PT.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery and congrats on testing Level 3:wav:

night-robin

Best of luck to you.

skelegirl

Good Luck with the surgery and hopefully you’ll be up and kicking sooner than expected. I’m getting ready to take a necessary break from Krav (and probably posting) because I’m leaving for Africa around the first of June.

carpecanis

If you don’t mind my asking, how’d you snap your ACL? What kind of graft will you be using?

In my case, it was a front (left) leg round kick during sparing. I was tired, rushed the kick, and didn’t properly get up on the ball of my right foot. My shoe stuck to the mat and I pivoted around my right knee joint instead and, well, POP!

Graft-wise, the doctor recommended the hamstring auto-graft so that’s what I went with.

kirk

OUCH! One of my greatest fears! Good Luck and take care! Krav will still be there when you get back!

zen4me

quote CarpeCanis:

If you don’t mind my asking, how’d you snap your ACL? What kind of graft will you be using?

In my case, it was a front (left) leg round kick during sparing. I was tired, rushed the kick, and didn’t properly get up on the ball of my right foot. My shoe stuck to the mat and I pivoted around my right knee joint instead and, well, POP!

Graft-wise, the doctor recommended the hamstring auto-graft so that’s what I went with.

I’m think I’m doing the hamstring auto-graft as well. My injury originally happened playing baseball. Stole second and didn’t slide – foot caught on the base and I torqued my knee. It swelled up nicely and I got it checked out but it seemed ok. Next time it happened I was at practice shagging grounders, field was muddy, cleat stuck and my body continued towards first while my lower leg stayed planted. Again, some swelling but otherwise I was able to walk around. ::shrugs::

Krav just exacerbated things cuz my knee would occasionally buckle and put me out for a couple days but then I’d be right back in because there was no lingering pain. This time, there was lingering pain afterwards.

– Kelly

carpecanis

Outside of the post-op pain, the first few months of recovery are not bad. You’ll be going to PT several times a week and you’ll have set goals, mainly recovering range-of-motion and that sort of thing. I enjoyed having a goal to achieve and that I could then push myself to surpass. If I was supposed to be able to get to 90-degrees and 20 leg lifts I’d go for 95-degrees and 25 leg lifts, that sort of thing. Think of it as an opportunity to challenge yourself, like say, oh, Krav Maga, and it make it more enjoyable.

The worst part for me was the 3.5-6 month period. You don’t have any more clear goals to achieve, your leg feels pretty darned good, you’re itching to get back into action, but you can’t. You can still stay sort of active, but no sports… except jogging and I loath jogging… You’ll also be tempted to really push things, but don’t give into that temptation. My Doc informed me that the 4-some month period is when most people tear their new graft because they feel fine and go and do something stupid.

When’s the big day?

jenn

I know your pain. I haven’t punched anything since Feb. 3rd – 13 weeks, 3 days. yup, I’m counting the days – and you will too. I had left shoulder repair done. Listen to your PT – don’t try to come back early. On Tuesday I did the Conditioning Class and instead of just doing my PT authorized shoulder exercises I air punched. Let me tell you – I paid for it. So LISTEN TO YOUR PT & DO WHAT S/HE SAYS.

Yes you’re going to lose cardio & muscle strength. It’s a fact of life. But, ya know what? It comes back.

Good luck & breath after your surgery. Take the pain meds; they’ll keep you from tightening up.

zen4me

Holy Cr@p, why didn’t y’all tell me it would hurt so much? Good grief! Surgery went well, I had it last Wednesday and I’m back to work today (mostly because of major cabin fever). When I had the MRI done, the doc thought I had about 10% of the ACL still attached, turns out I had none left attached – definitely good that I had surgery then. Anyways, just wanted to post an update. Thanks for all the well wishes and recommendations.

– Kelly

carpecanis

Don’t worry, that’s just weakness leaving your body… 😉

Yep, fun stuff. The drugs are your friend.

Good for you that your back to work so soon. I was out for a week and a half. Are you driving already?

How’s your range of motion coming along? I’ll admit, I think that was the worst part of the initial PT. I was so worried that the pain was a sign that the screw was going to pop out and fly across the room that it held me back at first. However, the doc told me that I couldn’t damage anything with the heal-slides and that the pain was just pain, not a sign of tearing, so I drugged up and went for it.

Oh, but one warning that I didn’t head, those friendly painkillers will, um, well, how shall I put it… clog up the works down below. Laxatives are your friends as well in this case.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: