Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics No place to train locally :(:

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    rifle

Hi all…

I haven’t posted in some time now. Life tends to get in the way.

Since I worked with REACT in PHX, AZ, I have moved to Washington State. Unfortunately, a series of physical issues prevented me from training….(Sad face)

But now, I’m ready to get back into a routine, but unfortunately, there’s no KM locations to train where I am…(Another sad face)

So, I’m in contact with a couple instructors who are willing to travel to where I am to train me and several interested people, which is great! But…That would be very limited training..once every few weeks for a couple hours.

I’d like to start working out while focusing on KM skills. So, my question is this:

What drills should I practice, individually, that will augment my KM? I have a heavy bag and gloves for equipment.

Also, I trained for just over a year, and I have a couple people interested in learning KM…but I am no instructor. But given the options, would it be totally crazy to workout with some friends showing them what I know…for my own benefit? They would certainly learn some too…but again I’m no instructor…But I’m, desperate to start training in KM again!

I really don’t know what to do. I want to pick it up again, but I’m in a tight spot.

Desperate in Washington,

Rifle

lions2011

Re: No place to train locally :(:

Well…. Take up Muay Thai or BJJ .. Better than nothing. What can you do…
    Tell me how is the training in the Phoenix KM center called React. I noticed on their website the classes in KM seemed combined. They do not separate out the levels.
    How was your experience there. In my school they have level 1 and the next class is level2/3 then level4/5

mara-jade

Welcome to the forum,

You could start by looking at these KM books. The Beginner one has some excellent drills. Use them well but they can’t be your only source.

http://www.amazon.com/Beginners-Step—Step-Easiest—Learn/dp/1569756619/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1302639503&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Krav-Maga-Self-Defense-Techniques/dp/1569755736/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302639503&sr=8-1

The fact instructors are actually willing to come train you is better than zip in the first place. You NEED the tweaking that a book’s not gonna give you. If you can afford it, go for it on the one-on-one training. Not taking it is a disservice to yourself.

As for other methods
    Kettlebell (Art of Strength DVDs are DA BOMB)

Crossfit

Bas

Hope this helps :wav:

eric-joyce

quote lions2011:

Well…. Take up Muay Thai or BJJ .. Better than nothing. What can you do…
    Tell me how is the training in the Phoenix KM center called React. I noticed on their website the classes in KM seemed combined. They do not separate out the levels.
    How was your experience there. In my school they have level 1 and the next class is level2/3 then level4/5

I won’t speak for Rifle, but I can share a little bit on the React Group in AZ. They are a good group of instructors that are passionate about Krav Maga. Intense classes that push you past your comfort zone…and then some.

When I was with them a few years ago, the levels were broken into 2 levels (Beginner & Advanced). Beginner being Level 1 and Adv. Level = Level 2 on up. I never knew the delineation point between level 2 & 3 or 3/4….it was all mixed together. We also had some weapons work in those levels and we had a separate weapons class, usually on Saturdays. Now they have added something called Tactical Black & Brown levels. I would assume it represents the current KMAA curriculum to some degree, but I’m not sure. Someone else would have to speak to that.

mikejdm

Where are you in WA? I’m here to with no place to train.

First focus is to stay in shape doing something. Personally I do a mix of the Bas CD’s, circuit training with weights, and the Insanity workout videos. That will keep you ready for training and light on your feet. Plus when you do train hard with an instructor you won’t be as prone to injury.

If I had people here asking me to work out with them I’d jump on it. That would be fun. Just tell them you want to train but not be held as an instructor.

rifle

Thanks for the replies.

The REACT organization is good. Intense workouts, fast pace and solid instructors. They separate their krav levels as level 1, then level 2-3-4 after you pass their “test”, which is really just a very long class where you show your skills against instructors in “bulletman” suits.

I have no real complaints. I suppose if I had to be critical, I could say that often the classes are packed (20+ students weren’t unusual) and only 1 instructor. But that’s a small detail. It also attests to their popularity and student retention. They also offer a lot of different classes rather than ‘just’ KM. Which is nice to break up your training somewhat.

Back to my original question….I have been communicating with a Commando Krav Maga instructor….NOT krav maga worldwide, obviously, but aversion of KM anyway. He is willing to travel and train us over a series of classes for what I think is a very reasonable price.

I will be organizing and getting this going. I want to train KM…at least a version of it, anyway, and this is my only option right now. I would rather stick with the KM Worldwide organization because that’s the only KM I’m familiar with, but I really have no other option right now.

@ mikejdm….I have a couple friends that come over twice a week now to workout. 90% of what we do is regular old boxing stuff….I have a heavy bag, gloves, focus mitts and smattering of other gear. They both have an interest in KM but I’m not an instructor. I don’t “train” them. All we really do is cardio boxing work. Maybe after the CKM instructor comes over and I can sit down with him and discuss stuff we can train between the classes on our own, maybe we’ll do more krav related training. I really don’t know.

I am in Yakima. I see that you are in Goldendale. If you are interested in training with us up here when the instructor comes over, PM me and I’ll give you the details.

stuartf

Make sure you read the CKM megathread at https://kravmaga.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2838 there’s also a lot of info at http://www.fakeselfdefenseinstructors.com/ basically CKM is not directly descended from Imi’s Krav Maga. If you want to train in it that’s fine, but know what you’re getting.

mara-jade

Yes, please check those threads out. You didn’t say which KM org the instructor was from. As Stuart said, it’s your choice

rifle

quote stuartf:

Make sure you read the CKM megathread at https://kravmaga.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2838 there’s also a lot of info at http://www.fakeselfdefenseinstructors.com/ basically CKM is not directly descended from Imi’s Krav Maga. If you want to train in it that’s fine, but know what you’re getting.
    quote mara_jade:

Yes, please check those threads out. You didn’t say which KM org the instructor was from. As Stuart said, it’s your choice

Bah…I wish you wouldn’t have showed me that.

I couldn’t care less about all the politics.

I am disappointed in Krav Maga that it really took very little time, on the grand scale of things, for KM to become corrupted and tainted by the infighting and bickering.

Just as the Asian martial arts have done. Much of the same B.S. “I teach the REAL art.” crap.

It’s too bad, really. And too bad that KMWW and the other septs can’t just get along.

MOD: Please close this thread. It’s gone off-topic and I got my answers.

Rifle

stuartf

For the record, I have no problem with the other KM orgs (IKM, IKMA, IKMF, KMG, etc), what I don’t like is when someone just applies the name of a popular system to their own mish-mash of techniques in order to dupe people into paying for something they aren’t getting. Now, if you know what you’re getting and you still want to pay for it that’s fine, it’s the deception I have a problem with. KMWW is by no means the sole heir to the Krav Maga name.

kevinmack

exactly!

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

For the record I have to echo what Stuart said.

And I’ll add –

Krav Maga is a principle based system, I don’t really care who’s teaching it as long as those original principles are valid in the technique. KMW, KMA, KMG whatever, are they following the spirit of Krav Maga? If so fine, go train, stay safe and protect your loved ones.

However – slapping the name Krav Maga onto something that doesn’t remotely resemble Imi’s philosophy is called a marketing ploy. That’s not politics – that’s a straight up LIE.

But hey that’s just my personal opinion

kmman

I’ll add that I have been to one KMWW place locally that does not teach ONE thing from KMWW curriculumand its simply to draw adults in. It’s a pseudo JKD place and its really just a mish mosh of arts. I do not doubt the credentials of the instruct in these various arts but I can say with 100% certainty that zero Krav Maga is being taught.

Sadly, the KMWW banner waves in it’s window and unsuspecting students think they are getting KM when all they are getting is cardio kick/

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: