Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Offensive Weapons Training

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    anonymous

So, would you hold a karambit (or any other knife that is curved) in a reverse grip or a regular grip? Would the curved part always point away from your own wrist? If the attack is done with a very narrow hook motion, I guess the 360 defense may be hard to do. Something else to try….

tehillim,

Once in a while, we do a little stick against stick or knife against knife in level 5. In one class we even put on some gear and did some light sparring that way, trying to put the individual defenses into practice. Great training – you are right, it helps with footwork and speed, also recognition of the attack and reaction time (and the cannibals, of course! 😉 ).

clfmak

A karambit is usually held in a reverse grip with the hooked edge extending away from the wrist, so a hook or uppercut motion will cut with the hooked edge, and a hammerfist motion will hack with the other edge. The karambit is built to be gripped this way- you can’t really hold it in a reverse grip with the edge in. You can grip in in a forward grip with the ring around the pinky, or in the reverse grip you can sort of spin it around on the ring to an extended position thats kind of hard to describe. This is used in certain techniques- Steve Tarani has an interesting book on these knives.
    Other curved knives can be held in different ways. Knives like the clinch pick and disciple by shivworks, along with some hard to find name brand knives are built with an edge opposite where you would expect in relation to the handle. Some people think the blade was put in backwards. Imagine a kitchen knife with the handle turned around. These are meant to be infighting knives held with the edge in in a forward or reverse grip (mostly reverse grip). I’ve read that this knife style and method was used with those knives you see in the middle east with the curved talon shaped blade (I don’t claim to know a lot about this field, but I believe its the same knife used in the sikh tradition- the kirpan). The main cutting edge was the inside one, not the outside one.
    Basically the curved part won’t always move away from your wrist- only on a karambit or hawkbill style blade with the edge out. Karambits are designed that way. Most knives will curve towards the wrist because they curve back towards the point and most people will use the edge out grip rather than the edge in.

jarcher

Re:

quote \”usnavy_233\:

If you have to draw a firearm in defense you only have ONE choice, fire the weapon until the bad guy stops whatever action made you draw the weapon in the first place.

Walt, I’m sorry but I have to respond to this. Over 97% of the time a firearm is used in lawfull self defense it is NOT fired. Studies of various types conducted by various entities (including the US Government) indicate that a firearm is used in lawfull self defense from 700,000 to 2,000,000 times each year. All studies indicate that from 95% to 98% of the time the weapon is not fired. The attacker imediately runs away.

Now I do agree that a firearm should never be drawn or displayed to gain \”leverage\” and should only be drawn when the use of lethal force is justified, but if the attacker turns and runs as soon as they see the firearm, you had best not fire. Shooting people in the back is not only morally wrong but will also land you in prison.

usnavy-233

\”Walt, I’m sorry but I have to respond to this. Over 97% of the time a firearm is used in lawfull self defense it is NOT fired. Studies of various types conducted by various entities (including the US Government) indicate that a firearm is used in lawfull self defense from 700,000 to 2,000,000 times each year. All studies indicate that from 95% to 98% of the time the weapon is not fired. The attacker imediately runs away.

Now I do agree that a firearm should never be drawn or displayed to gain \”leverage\” and should only be drawn when the use of lethal force is justified, but if the attacker turns and runs as soon as they see the firearm, you had best not fire. Shooting people in the back is not only morally wrong but will also land you in prison.\”

I couldn’t agree with you more. And yes, that’s absolutely right, if you draw your weapon and the BG immediate turns and runs, game over. BUT, when you draw that weapon, in your mind your only course of action should be to fire until the BG stops his attack. That’s all I was saying.

clfmak

Well, I received some Comtech stingers and Executive Ice Scrapers in the mail today. The stingers are some of the most convenient weapons I’ve come across. They’re lightweight plastic, but very solid. I put one on my keychain. The grip is very comfortable, and would do some good damage with a good punch to just about anywhere. I highly recommend it. The ice scraper is a little bigger and doesn’t lend itself to a keychain as well. Rather than a piont, it has a sturdy edge that would damage the hard parts of the body. A chopping hammerfist with the corner does the most damage. This thig would bust up the bridge of the nose, corner of the orbital bone, or philtrum. Its alright, and worth keeping in your car if you live in an icy area.

clfmak

The stinger would also make a good window breaker in emergencies.

anonymous

Why just an icy area? You mean I can’t bust noses in the desert?

I wonder how quickly you could deploy such a weapon if it’s on your key chain. Do you actually have keys on the chain as well and would they interfere with the weapon? What are the legal ramifications of using it in a fight? Would you get in trouble for carrying a dangerous weapon?

Talking about key chains, how about using ordinary keys as a weapon? I’m thinking, if I took a key and put it between my fingers, so that the pointy part is sticking out when I make a fist, and then I struck somebody that way, it could cause some damage (almost like a tiny knife or dagger, although not as sharp, but if I hit soft tissue, such as the face or neck, it could yield some good results. 😉 ) Have you tried this? Or better yet, do you know of a special website for house key fighting? 😉 )

anonymous

Oh, another thing I just thought of, if you held a bunch of coins in your hand, and then struck a person, would that increase the power of your punch (because your fist would be heavier)? If yes, by how much and would that be a good thing to do if you happened to carry a lot of change in your pockets when you are being threatened by somebody and a fight is inevitable? Or would it be better to just use an ordinary fist without the change (to prevent breaking your knuckles)?

clfmak

A fistload is anthing you put into your fist to reinforce it and/or add weight to the fist. One of the most common fistloads is actually a roll of coins, another is the spark plug. Also regarding coins, knifemaker Fred Perrin makes a self defense wallet:
    http://www.realfighting.com/0503/cweapons.html
    Its near the bottom of the page. The basic idea is that there’s a pouch at one end that you fill with change, so it makes your wallet into a sap. Personally I would hate carrying enough change to be a weapon.

With the stinger, I keep it on my keychain, and you can punch with it without removing the keys. When I carry may keys, I naturally grip the stinger in its punch alignment simply because its a comfortable way to carry keys. With any weapon, it seems the fastest way to deploy it is to already have it in your hand. The legal issues can get complex because weapon laws are deliberately vague. There’s a lot to be said about use of force laws, but as far as carrying it around, unless you’re doing something suspicious, a cop probably won’t give you any trouble- if they recognize it they are probably a fan of self defense gadgets.

A lot has been written about the use of keys as a weapon. One of the interesting ways I’ve seen is to clip your keys to the back of a baseball hat to add some weight, then if trouble breaks out you can whip it off and use it like a sap/flail. This assumes some somewhat heavy keys and a clip or carribeaner. If you experiment with this, you can generate some impressive force. I think this was on a James Keating video.

cqbmd

Many instructors in use of lethal force (guns and knives) suggest the carry of some kind of less lethal weapon as well. Civilians are often completely restricted from carrying guns, and in some locations even knives. Certainly training in Krav makes us better able to use our hands, feet and other body parts than the average person. However, I have found the ASP Street Defender to be an excellent adjunct tool for self defense. It is essentially a hollow 6î aluminum cylinder that has a pepper spray cartridge in it. It can simply be used for delivery of OC, but will also function as a Kubaton, hand load, key flail, sap, force concentrator for hammer punches and, with a little training, is very useful for pain compliance and control techniques. The other advantage over many other tools is that, without training, the bad guy is not likely to use it effectively against you.

The Street Defender is the largest model, and is far superior because of greater OC spray capacity, but ASP also offers a Key Defender which is thinner and slightly shorter, and a Palm Defender which is sort of stubby. Your keys can be carried by stuffing the Defender down the inside of your pants, with the keys showing, and is admittedly somewhat nerdy looking, but allows it to be very quickly deployed, if not already in your hand. I have carried one for years, and have used the Kubaton techniques on drunk or drugged idiots who I was forced to deal with and ìencourage to cooperateî because of my work.

There are at least three different books out on Kubaton techniques. ìThe Persuader Batonî by Monadock PR-24 Training Council, Inc. and ìOfficial Kubaton Techniquesî by Takayuki Kubota are restricted to law enforcement, but ìAction Kubotanî also by Takayuki Kubota is the civilian version that has most of the useful striking techniques in it, but leaves out the pain compliance and restraint techniques. Any martial arts instructor who knows how to use a yawara stick can show most of these to you. Reportedly Kubota designed the Kubaton to use techniques developed for a pen or yawara stick, but be less likely to cause permanent injury. Mas Ayoob teaches a course through Lethal Force Institute that he calls the ìPersuaderî which is very good and covers many of the above techniques. He doesnít specifically advocate the Defender, but the pepper spray seems to be a useful item to have and the rest of the techniques are equally applicable.

Please donít misunderstand me. This is not a substitute for a rapid escape, and I would still advocate the carry of guns and / or knives if you are legally able to do so and willing to devote the time to proper training and practice. The Defender just might provide an additional tool for intermediate options between fists alone or lethal force, and could certainly be used in combination with striking techniques, if appropriate. As is often said on this forum: just my 2 cents worth.

anonymous

If you follow the link for the wallet, there is actually a baseball cap too, already loaded with coins. That could work, but it may be heavy to carry on your head all day. Another thing that was interesting was the sharp credit card, to be used as a knife.

I usually only carry a few keys, which may not be heavy enough to be swung, but if you took one key and held it in between your thumb and index finger, you could probably cause some damage if you hit a soft, vulnerable area, such as the neck. But then again, maybe a strong punch would do a better job.

How much more effective would your punch be, if you held maybe a roll of quarters while punching? Enough to make a difference?

kravmdjeff

Giantkiller…I would strongly suggest not using your keys to strike an opponent. Damaging your keys could stop you from being able to get in your car and take off at the right moment…several people have tried and found themselves in a situation where their escape was cut off.

clfmak

The roll of quarters thing seems to be effective enough for it to be common knowledge. Personally I feel that I generate more power through the body, not the weight of the fist. It also reinforces the fist like those bars in bag gloves.
    Although normally I don’t feel the need to have a heavier fist, but I remember when I used to get in fights as a kid it would feel like my fists were really light. Its kind of a weird feeling, maybe from boxing. Psychologically it may help aside from the actual eight and reinforcement.
    There’s a good article on fistloads:
    http://www.donrearic.com/fistload.html

anonymous

That’s a pretty good article.

As for damaging the keys, I’m not sure one could damage them, since they are made of metal. But I guess it’s possible to lose them during the fight. I wouldn’t do it with my car keys, if I planned to get away with that car. However, if I’m far from home, I might be able to use my house keys, since it wouldn’t matter too much if I lost them at that point.

kravmdjeff

Giantkiller…I’m saying that it’s been documented that people have used them. I’m not bringing up a theoretical point.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: