Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Krav Maga Videos Old School Advanced Punch Defenses

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    kevinmack

here is a video of me teaching an old school Krav Maga punch defense. I think this was in blue belt in the old curriculum. This was shot unplanned in tonights class so it is kind of rough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XVmUjQHhHI

You can see Imi performing this technique at about the 3:20 mark in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tlXZXgCJUE

don

Re: Old School Advanced Punch Defenses

Thanks for sharing Kev!

IME, lots of similarity to some Wing Chun principles/techniques… 😉

(btw, you can download a copy of James Yimm Lee’s Wing Chun book here:
    http://ishare.iask.sina.com.cn/f/10092141.html
    click on the green rectangle middle left, where it says 13.48mb… don’t worry the book will be in English… lol then check around page 125…

kevinmack

My mistake…it is in green belt.

mara-jade

Nice video Kevin-thanks!:wav:

stuartf

This is interesting. Why was it taken out of the curriculum?

kevinmack

The second defense is still in the KMWW curriculum..you can see it in Complete Krav Maga. Not sure why the first one was removed. The IKMA still does a variation of it…their version involves more of an angled step.. Not sure if the IKMF still does it.

kevinmack

In the original KM black belt syllabus you see this technique utilized a lot as most of the techniques in that section answer the question of “what do you do if you are fighting someone who knows Krav Maga?” This punch defense is used a lot in that regard.

sicpuppy

quote KevinMack:

In the original KM black belt syllabus you see this technique utilized a lot as most of the techniques in that section answer the question of “what do you do if you are fighting someone who knows Krav Maga?” This punch defense is used a lot in that regard.

Elegance in its simplicity!

I have always felt the inside defense was a bit unnatural, for me at least. But I love the ‘old-school’ method! One move- bam!

Not too sure if I could develop enough punch power in the 360 defense variant, but again, one move!

Tres kewl!

quote stuartf:

This is interesting. Why was it taken out of the curriculum?

It hasn’t been removed from the curriculum as far as I know. 4th degree BB David Bluestein taught it to me when I was an Orange Belt and I was tested on it when I tested for my green. I teach it to my Intermediate class. Maybe the Complete Krav Maga isn’t as complete as it leads on… FWIW, David also taught us some pretty cool one handed defenses against multiple punches that were taught to him directly from Imi in the late 80’s-early 90’s.

kevinmack

Jeremy,
    I filmed something tonight that might be what you are talking about. I will post it later..let me know if thats what you were talking about.

kevinmack

Here is part 2. I am not really happy with how it turned out. It was kind of rushed and I left out some details. I also wanted to show more of the defenses against multiple strikes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5j1E3cJ5BE

kevinmack

Here is a picture of Imi at my instructors old school teaching the “punch over punch” technique.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.158603046287.129726.158600226287&type=3#!/photo.php?fbid=281106761287&set=a.158603046287.129726.158600226287&type=3&theater

tuberaider

Thank you very much for taking the time to post the movies. This is very useful for beginners such as myself.

Hmm, interesting.

To me it feels like the defense in video 2 is more natural than the basic inside defense. Actually, the way it is performed is the way I instinctivly wanted to defend when I started learning krav maga. So, for me it is more like the inside defense feels more advanced when I compare. Strange or does anyone else feel the same?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: