Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    kravjeff

Don’t know if these have been posted yet …

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwLibR8LZ-4

Then there’s these idjuts …

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7dMQUs_-IM

And an interesting read …

http://www.pekiti-tirsia.net/openHand.php?lang=en&soundsParam=on&file=openHand

I learned a similar technique at a seminar (WinterCamp in Colorado this year – Thanks Jimmo !!!) … It appears to be devastating.

kpalena

I love palm heel strikes. They are a lot harder and safer than fists. In a real fight, I don’t think I have to be as careful about placing my shots.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

I actually saw Bas do an open hand hook to the body and they had to stop the fight because of that liver shot. Heal palm strikes should not be taken lightly!

kravjeff

I totally agree with the effectiveness of palm heel strikes, but notice that these techniques are not palm heel strikes. The first vid shows an open hand slap, likely to the side of the neck at the jawline / base of the skull … At least the guy was kind enough to put the guy he KO’d in the recovery position !!!

In the other vid, they’re slapping with an open hand in a whipping motion they call the \”Bear Paw\” (IIRC) …

vwr32

There’s always Crazy Monkey Boxing too… lots of vids on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC-lIMuBkko

g-v

Re:

I prefer open hand strikes, together with clawing, grabbing, scratching, ripping, etc.

You guys ever hear of Richard Dimitri’s shredder? Good stuff.

giant-killer

Haven’t watched the videos yet, they take so long to load, but I think slaps (as opposed to palm heel strikes) can be very effective, too, if done correctly. One good thing to do with a slap like motion is to hit the ears, preferably simultaneously, to get the opponent off balance.

G.V., yes, I like to rip, too. R.I.P brodder…. 8)

vwr32

I don’t think I’ve ever slapped anyone….

Broke a bone in my hand back in highschool during a fight, but have always resorted to closed fist rather than open hand. Guess it’s all in how you train. If there’s one memorable open handed strike, for me it has to be when 200 pound Keith Hackney dropped 600+ pound Emmanuel Yarborough during first few seconds of an early UFC fight. Nice.

giant-killer

The \”Giant Killer\”? Yes, I remember… 😉

oldkravdude

When teaching law enforcement we usually show them to do palm strikes instead of punches. Punching someone’s thick skull can easily break the bones in your hand (which makes it hard for them to grip their higher force option). Something to think about if you have law enforcement officers in your classes.

bradm

CJ’sDad
    I attended a Bas Ruten seminar a couple years ago and he made it a point of demonstrating the open hand technique and how devistating it can be. Jeff Jemino (sp) was there too, helping him wiht his seminar. his siminar was awesome.

jl

Everything said here I believe to be true.
    That said, I do like the vertical knuckle straight punch/knife defense.
    I like the vertical punch when defending a hook as well. Most students can learn this form of striking relatively quick. These strikes are usually to the face and neck region, but can bring the wind out of an attacker from either side, without injury to the hand as well.

But for all else, a well placed open palm strike can be devastating(i.e. jaw line, ears, side of the neck, etc.). Besides,
    the {Bas} uses it, so I use it too! 😉

bradm

They showed one or two of Bas’ fights on the IFL last night. I noticed that he used the open hand slap frequently against one opponent. Seemed to be quite effective too.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: