Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Optimal Fighting Weight

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    eastcoast

Ok… let me start by saying I am a 5’4″ medium build female. I train with a very hard core school that I hope to test for Level 1 at the end of August. Let me explain our tests a little… 3 to 4 hours straight of INTENSE activity- ie burpees, running, repetitive Krav technique, low crawl, climbing mountains, with one or two minutes rest per hour (usually lots of puking by at least 20% of studentsthumbsup).

I am in the best shape of my adult life (46 years old) but was around 110 when I was a competitive national level swimmer (age 14 to 20). When I started Krav I was 147 and now I am down to 135. I wanted to get down to 130 before the test, but my instructors say not to get “too skinny”. What does that mean exactly?

Keep in mind that 80% of the people I train with are men that weigh anywhere between 145 to 280 (and most of them are 6 to 12 inches taller than me). Does weight really matter? :dunno:

don

Re: Optimal Fighting Weight

If you try “too hard” to lose weight (look up weight cutting), you may end up sacrificing some physical attributes (e.g. strength, conditioning/endurance, power/explosiveness, etc). Unless your testing requires you to weigh in, I’d say don’t worry about weighing specifically X or Y pounds – test at whatever weight allows you to perform your best for the scheduled activities.

eastcoast

Thanks Don. I’m looking at it as adopting a healthy eating plan and seeing a nutritionist next week. I don’t want to risk injury or my training progress. I’ve also slacked off the strict 1500 cal a day thing. I’m originally from Wisconsin, so I’m addicted to cheese.:D:

kmyoshi

I would also not do any drastic change up to your diet the week of your test, unless your test is months away and you are already on said eating plan and you know how your body reacts.

kmman

Fighters that “cut” weight cut weight to qualify for that division. The weigh in is the day before. In fact, boxing watches you and regulates you gradually cut weight which is considered safer than the MMA way of cutting last minute and drastically.

Keep in mind, come fight time, these fighters have already gained 10+ pounds from the cut, otherwise they’d be weak as hell and would have no energy.

eastcoast

This is all good info. I’ve never wrestled or fought in a formal or regulated setting. I went to nationals at 16 in swimming and was trying to make Olympic trials. I hit puberty and never got that fast again.

I did Kung Fu for five years and I was much lighter say 120. It didn’t really matter because we didn’t spar much.

I was so lucky to find my Krav school. At that point I was pushing 150.:thunbsdown: Now I’m motivated. Most of June I did a healthy food plan. Now I just want to improve to a point where I’m happy with my body and to keep up good nutrition is essential for that. I do not starve myself because that’s messed up. Anyhow I’ll get more professional help with it soon. thumbsup

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: