Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Other Martial Arts with Krav Maga

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    simplythomas

I’ve been taking KM for a few months now, and Iím interested in taking up a few more MA.. (BJJ, Muay Thai, MMA). I was planning on taking up one, then after a few months adding in another, and so on… I was just curious if anybody else practiced anything else with KM? and if it had an effect on KM..? I wouldnít want to end up in a street fight, and freeze up on KM instinctive techniques like groin kicks, and hits to the back of the head because of the MA training, and visa versa, it might not go down to well if during MMA sparing I deliver a perfectly executed kick to the groin!:): hehe.

kirsten

Re: Other Martial Arts with Krav Maga

I would just ask you what are your goals in training? If its self-defense, then commit to the KM first and stay focused on that for a while before you start to add more… If your in a hurry to take on a lot, you may end up walking away with very little. Reminds me of the phrase “jack of all trades, master of none”… That’s my thought. 🙂

simplythomas

Thanks for replying Kirsten, Yeah I would say self defence is priority number 1. I wasnít really after any self defence from the other styles, more just fitness/hobby.. Like you say, I was a bit worried other styles may get in the way with KM.. Il wait a few months and then see if Iím ready to gradually add more in. 🙂
    Thanks.

rz1

quote SimplyThomas:

I’ve been taking KM for a few months now, and Iím interested in taking up a few more MA.. (BJJ, Muay Thai, MMA). I was planning on taking up one, then after a few months adding in another, and so on… I was just curious if anybody else practiced anything else with KM? and if it had an effect on KM..? I wouldnít want to end up in a street fight, and freeze up on KM instinctive techniques like groin kicks, and hits to the back of the head because of the MA training, and visa versa, it might not go down to well if during MMA sparing I deliver a perfectly executed kick to the groin!:): hehe.

imho don’t neglect sparring (sensibly of course! ie no eye gouges etc :P).

It’s fun, teaches you to take hits, and that no defence is perfect.

And I would in my noob opinion concur with Kirstin, make sure you have basics and are not likely to get confused, and the time before going to look anywhere else. I would suggest a competitive striking / grappling art. Try to avoid any art that isn’t trained in any sort of pressure tested manner (ie no sparring).

But this is a generalisation (and imho I’m still a noob), so caveat emptor.

guitarded-1

I think that Krav is a great primary system for self-defense. Once you get that down, I would consider supplementing with BJJ. Obviously, you don’t want a fight to go to the ground…but if it does…BJJ can teach you all sorts of handy ways to twist and break stuff.

spartankrav

quote guitarded_1:

…BJJ can teach you all sorts of handy ways to twist and break stuff.

More imporantly, IMHO, are the sweeps and simply learning how to move on the ground. I’ve found BJJ to be a great complement to KM.

quote Kirsten:

I would just ask you what are your goals in training? If its self-defense, then commit to the KM first and stay focused on that for a while before you start to add more… If your in a hurry to take on a lot, you may end up walking away with very little. Reminds me of the phrase “jack of all trades, master of none”… That’s my thought. 🙂

I would agree with Kirsten 100%. I tried a boxing class early on in my KM training, then to find my hands & stance was completely offline for KM. Now I train KM only.

stevetuna

I spent about the first eight months of my Krav Maga training learning to get out of my bladed boxing stance! The benefit is that I punch a lot better than most. The downside is that kicking didn’t come as naturally to me. Thanks to Krav’s training under stress philosophy, that is changing.

I always try to learn something from the BJJ folk. I don’t want to spend any time on the ground at all, but Mr. Murphy has a bad way of sneaking up and biting me on the butt every now and again (while his dog bites me on the arm…).

dckm

i take some arnis classes and that goes well with my training.
    as far as bjj i’m interested in taking that as well, but people get injured too much in there so that’s tempered my enthusiasm to take it. i may do a few classes this summer. the ground fighting we do in km comes easily to me

paul

if nothing else BJJ is fun. great excersize and makes you think ahead and plan. not that i ever got to that point. lol i would like to add it into the mix but my son and i are taking muay thia along with KM and that would be too much for me to absorb.

ncsam160

I did Muay Thai for a while before I started doing Krav. I definitely had to relearn a few things as far as stance goes. I’ve wanted to take it back up for a while, but I’m worried it’d clash too much.

However I have been taking BJJ and I absolutely love that. I don’t think I’d go for an arm bar, triangle, or any of that stuff in a real world fight, but being more comfortable on the ground isn’t a bad thing. Plus with how popular MMA is now, you never know if the guy your about to go hands-on with knows a few things, so submission defense is key in my opinion.

Plus I’ve got a real urge to compete, and there’s not many Krav competitions.

night-robin

I don’t really plan to be any sort of professional fighter, but I wouldn’t mind having a few Amateur(I guess would be the word) fights to test my skill. Of course first, I would like to get some skill lol. I’m almost done with this semester of college, and having passed my Level one Krav test, this summer I’m gonna kill myself by taking Krav level 1 and 2 on tuesday and thursday mornings, and coming back tuesday and thursday nights for BJJ and Thai.

nate

I totally agree with Kirsten here – maybe hold off on picking up another martial art until you have a strong base in Krav. Things have to become second nature so you don’t start confusing defenses / stances / etc. Just depends on how you are, but it would probably be at least 1-2 years before stuff starts locking in.

And as a pairing to Krav, like was said before, it really just depends on what you’re interested in. Lots of guys do BJJ so they improve groundwork. BJJ and Muay Thai if you’re into MMA stuff. If you want to learn some fancy kicks then you can pick almost any TMA … Tae Kwon Do is pretty good for that.

rd672

Train BJJ and teach Krav Maga.Love it,especially if you like to compete.Also helps to be well rounded

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: