Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Hi I have a question:

At my last KM class we were doing a certain combo that involved blocking a hook coming from the outside. I’ve always done these blocks with my forearm near my wrist, and my hand in a knife blade shape, but one of the supervisors of the class told me that I should do the block with a closed fist, so that I cannot knock any of my fingers on his arm or get caught up in his clothing with my fingers.

My argument for knife hand is that it makes your blocking area bigger and makes it harder to “slide” out, it’s faster than throwing up a fist, and it also makes it easier to grab the opponent’s head if you hand is already open. On the other hand I can understand that you don’t want to bump your fingers into your opponent’s arm by mistake or get caught up in his clothing.

So what is the technique? I can’t remember now how it was demonstrated previously in class.

crazy-train

Re: Outside defence

there’s the 360 defense to use against hook punches, but it sounds like your instructor was describing the extended defense v. hook. they’re basically the same, ‘cept one is open hand, and the other is closed hand.

mara-jade

There are outside defense techniques in Level 3. I think that’s what he was talking about?

This was against a hook punch….so what should it have been, closed or open fist, and what’s the difference and when do you use which? I’m sorry that I’m not so clued up on the KM terminology because I’m in Israel and we use Hebrew terms.

We tend less to “classify” the attack than to just describe it as the attacker attacking in such-and-such motion.

We also don’t have levels in the class I’m at. We do a whole mix of stuff, but we’re currently doing this defence against the hook over and over and over again, with various defences against it.

To be honest I wish our classes were much more organized. Like, recently very few people have been coming to the classes, and occasionally somebody new joins, and the class is just once a week for an hour, of which 20 minutes is warm up. So it’s very little and we tend to do the same thing over and over, and then occasionally learn something new.

I still find some of the stuff quite difficult to do, we do a lot of taking the opponent to the ground after defending and it can be tricky, but that’s ok I feel I’m improving all the time and our instructor is really fussy about correct technique.

giant-killer

Taking the attacker to the ground after defending? Hmmm, we rarely try to take someone to the ground here, unless it’s with a quick cavalier during a knife defense or such.

If they only have limited classes, maybe there is a facility close to you that better suits your needs? Seems that in Israel you shouldn’t have a problem finding good KM training.

As for the closed fist vs open hand, we usually do closed fist against a hook because it is stronger, but open hand against a knife attack. There are also some defenses against a straight punch from the outside that can be done in different ways, hand open but either thumb, pinkie or back of the hand toward the attacker’s wrist. There are advantages/disadvantages to all, some defenses are stronger, others faster, so you would have to try which ones work best for you.

Yeah, I think we have quite a few KM classes around, but this one is really close to my flat and is realllllly cheap (on a tight budget here). I don’t have too much time to dedicate to it anyway so that suits me, but I still think the class could be better managed with the limited time and resources that we have.

giant-killer

Maybe join the army for some free training… thumbsup

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: