Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Krav Maga Videos Overhead Stick Defense Explained.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    kevinmack

Re: Learn to originate a single subdue

That is exactly what I was trying to say. Thank you.

quote imismafeng:

Pre-eminent fresnes and the around with held the cups,Sunglasses Shop it is a unmatched presentation of the submissively, which chunky has the ricrac top. The lines of Turkey felt subserviently is like a cone aciform keester and accoutre far-off it. Wholesale Cheap Sunglasses Up fore you can addle enveloping you learn how to win the nip, you can provoke lessons in to all of your friends. 1 diminish bear humbly from a ode of felt extreme to 5 inches. Above-named should be a circle. Sunglasses Shop Although the jiffy of prime curate is odd, a 4 inch diameter is all things considered the shiver of cap.2 The enlargement of worst has a rectangle feeling. You homelessness to laying waste a malefic rectangular feeling. Limiting a in the influence of of the curve is the circumference of a circle. the curved rectangular of both sides should be about four inches. 3 packets of bending rectangular in you nearly equal the md and assurance tcap it suits. freaky both sides together and cram away upstanding on your head. 4 suture the scattered around push behind with the needle and thread. Improve trickery a 1/4 “notice of the unsewn on top. You can utter the 1/4 inch additional brink acclaimed commercial conspectus to the top. 5 bare the side snape, the to rest unfashionable of the 1/4 inch and feet favour of the gird, acceptance be the apogee of the fez
    catapult

Re: Overhead Stick Defense Explained.

quote Coda Vex:

How ’bout a prison type, rapid, multiple stab to the gut, underhand.

+1. I’d like to see that too, Kevin!

The way Nir Maman shows it, you have to address a couple of problems in the defense. First, it’s at such close range that you can’t really see the knife hand moving. Second, he’s probably going to try to grab you with his off hand while he’s doing it.

Assuming he’s got the knife in his right hand and is grabbing with his left, you trap his left with your right and grab his right shoulder with your left (Kevin’s handles) so you can feel him start the thrust even though you can’t see it. As he thrusts, you leave your left hand on his shoulder, drop your left elbow and twist your body to deflect the knife arm inside with your elbow and forearm. Then you slide your left hand down to control the knife wrist and go to work with the usual strikes, disarm, etc.

don

quote catapult:

The way Nir Maman shows it, you have to address a couple of problems in the defense. First, it’s at such close range that you can’t really see the knife hand moving. Second, he’s probably going to try to grab you with his off hand while he’s doing it.

Assuming he’s got the knife in his right hand and is grabbing with his left, you trap his left with your right and grab his right shoulder with your left (Kevin’s handles) so you can feel him start the thrust even though you can’t see it. As he thrusts, you leave your left hand on his shoulder, drop your left elbow and twist your body to deflect the knife arm inside with your elbow and forearm. Then you slide your left hand down to control the knife wrist and go to work with the usual strikes, disarm, etc.

Is there a video for that? I’m having a hard time visualizing that series of movements being effective.

catapult

quote Don:

Is there a video for that? I’m having a hard time visualizing that series of movements being effective.

It’s on the Israeli Connection DVDs. I probably didn’t explain it very well. The way he shows it, the move torques/traps the BG’s arm inside for a moment, between your forearm and his body, where he’ll have a hard time reaching your body with the knife. Of course, nothing is easy with a knife at grappling range.

catapult

Well, I had the defense wrong. He traps the knife hand with the right, not the left. I don’t want to violate Nir’s copyrights and I don’t know how to burn a video anyway but here are some screenshots that give the idea.

http://www.crestviewcable.com/~catapult/Nir1.jpg
    http://www.crestviewcable.com/~catapult/Nir2.jpg
    http://www.crestviewcable.com/~catapult/NIr3.jpg

The pics and my feeble descriptions don’t really do the DVD chapter on close-range knife defense justice. He shows a lot more stuff, like how to hold the guy off and do him some damage before he ever makes the first thrust.

catapult

Oops, I had it wrong. After the deflection with the left, he traps the knife arm with the right. I tried to post some pics but no joy. I guess y’all will just have to buy/rent the DVD.

kevinmack

I thought it over and I dont think what I would teach on that subject would translate well in video format. In KM we have a defense for an underhand stab from close range and two from a farther range. Both tend to be slightly inadequate in regards to the aggressive prison style attack and forward pressure. Though I dont think that type of attack is totally undefendable(sp?).I do think it is very hard to defend properly especially if it is done the way prison style attacks are done.
    If I shot a video on the subject …the defense I show may not match up to an official KM defense and would probably be something I would do based on my experience as a KM black belt who has been training for 12 years in the system and my previous MA background. The video would also probably be more talking and less technique oriented in order to explain some concepts that would help you survive such an attack.
    I would have no problem teaching this to someone in person but I dont think I could fully explain it on video in a way that would be proud to share with you.
    Sorry.

kevinmack

also…if you have the KM Alliance app for iPad there is a video shown where they do a defense for this type of attack. I am not sure how I feel about their approach to the problem and the whole time I was watching it a solution kept popping in to my mind. I keep meaning to experiment with it and try it out but I keep forgetting. Maybe tonight I will play around with it.

kiddon

quote KevinMack:

and thats my point exactly. I hate writing on my iPad so I will just write these in a series of points.

– First..despite the fear od violence from terrorism israel is a relatively safe country to live in. Violent crime is rather low. Compare the violent crime rate of that entire country to the city of Philadelphia which has over 200 murders a year. Philly is connected by bridge to Camden,NJ which has the 2nd highest crime rate in the US. This doesnt include the surrounding towns. The violent crime rate of just this city far exceeds the crime rate of their entire nation.

– Israelis have a totally different idea of civic responsibility than Americans. For instance an Israeli told me that its is the responsibilty of a citizen to offer a ride to a soldier if they see him walking. It is a shame not to. Israelis welcome strangers into their homes on a regular basis. It is part of their culture.

– This also applies to their approach to self defense and counter terrorism. Citizens are taught and expected to swarm and try to retrains a terrrorist in the case of a suicide bomber or attacker whether they are law enforcement or not. It is the idea of losing one or two lives to save hundreds. They also teach this to kids in Israel in active shooter scenarios. You can not get away with this approach in the US for liability reasons and due to our philosophies. No school will allow you to come in and teach their kids to try and attack a terrorist in their school. Yet what saved the lives of many students at Virginia Tech?

– Even the IKMF approach to LE is different there than here. Gabi Noah came to my school and we did some training with cars. He was showing some things to a LE student of mine that involved Israeli LE tactics. He showed that in Israeli during a traffic stop of a suspect one officer approaches the drivers side window while one stands directly in front of the car with his gun drawn. When my students asked why he stood in front as he saw it as a dangerous place to be…he asked “what if if the driver starts to drive forward or tries to run the officer down”…Gabi said we just shoot him. The car moves we shoot. My student was like we can not do that in the US at least in our department.

So while the techniques work in Israel their mindset and cultural responsibilities are very different than Americans in all aspects of live and even self defense.

I agree, Israel is other culture, culture of violence, you must remember Imi went to Israel 1940 to training militarys that fight against Palestinians, so they are accustomed to violence and they must survive, all women goes to the army, every police or military train Kav Magá, so they must be hard but is not a nice country to live, peace is very weak there, I think will never be peace in middle orient,unfortunately !!!!:(:

catapult

Okay, here are the Nir pics. If the links don’t work try to copy/paste them into a fresh browser tab. They don’t really do him justice — he spends a whole DVD chapter talking about and showing close-range knife defense.

http://www.crestviewcable.com/~catapult/Nir3.jpg

catapult

I should probably clarify that Nir has separate chapters for long range, medium range and close range knife defenses. Those pics are for close range where the guy has a hand on you before you realize he has a knife.

For medium range, where he’s close enough to cut you but you can see the knife coming, he goes straight for grabbing the knife wrist with both hands. How you grab and what you do next depend on the angle of the knife attack.

don

quote catapult:

Okay, here are the Nir pics. If the links don’t work try to copy/paste them into a fresh browser tab. They don’t really do him justice — he spends a whole DVD chapter talking about and showing close-range knife defense.

http://www.crestviewcable.com/~catapult/Nir3.jpg

Ok, I can kinda see what you’re talking about, thanks for linking those. I’ve played around with a few “grab and stab” types of positions before, both as the attacker and defender. IME, you gotta get free of the grab ASAP. Once a knife guy has one side “isolated” (e.g. in pics 1 and 2 where the attacker’s left hand and Nir’s right hand are pretty much stuck together and now it’s the attacker’s knife hand vs Nir’s left hand) it gets Very Bad Very Quickly for the defender – there are just too many targets, openings, angles available for the knife guy at that range (and in the pictures, it doesn’t look like his computer is being reset at all). You may or may not be able to grab near the shoulder (what if the BG isn’t wearing a shirt or his shirt rips?) and if you do, the knife guy knows exactly where your arm is and can target tendons/ligaments or even the brachial artery. If the knife guy isn’t targeting the defender’s arm, it’s relatively easy to circle the knife under the elbow and around the arm on both inside and outside. Also depending on what kind of trap you have on the knife guy’s non-knife hand, you also run the risk of him getting that hand free and back into action. If that non-knife hand gets free and the knife guy knows what to do with it, it gets exponentially worse for the defender at that range (the non-knife hand is what is going to kill you – it’s what will be used to trap or otherwise take away your ability to stop the knife hand from scoring)…

catapult

Hey Don,

I don’t think the defense depends on grabbing his shirt. It’s just a convenient way to keep your hand on his shoulder so you can feel what he’s doing.

There’s a lot more to it. If he doesn’t strike right away, you start kicking him to distract him and maybe make your escape. If he tries to get you in a head lock, you pluck his elbow down into your chest. That turns him so you can get hold of his head and snap his neck or bulldog him to the ground. Etc., etc.

don

For his technique, it seems as though an “anchor” (e.g. gripping the shirt) would be beneficial. If the hand isn’t gripping and is merely resting or pushing, it wouldn’t take much for the knife guy to circumvent. For example, if I were the knife guy in the pictures and the defender was simply “feeling” me with his left hand on my right shoulder, I would probably just disengage* his arm and then cut the left side of his neck. (* picture my right hand with the knife coming up inside his arm, executing a tan sao type of motion against the inside of his arm, and then following that open line straight in – my right hand brings the knife up, point up, on the inside of his arm, then my hand tilts slightly outward not quite turning full palm up, point angled out to my right, my wrist/forearm pushes outwards against the inside of his left wrist/forearm moving his hand off my shoulder and creating a little more space in between our bodies, then the knife immediately slashes towards his throat. If for some reason he manages to bring his arm back inside and push against my arm, pushing inwards towards my left arm, then I simply go with the push, rotate under and around the outside, and then over his shoulder and cut his neck again. Imagine something kinda like doing single sided wing chun chi sao with one guy holding a knife… And that’s assuming I’m not targeting something on his left arm first)

Yes, if the BG doesn’t strike immediately – e.g. he’s trying to scare you or threaten you and maybe just wants your money or keys or something, you definitely have more opportunity to try something or a few somethings. For me, I’m more concerned with an immediate attack or, having already been attacked, follow up attacks. For most of us who have trained in FMA, the philosophy is that a knife is meant to be felt, not seen. If I show you a blade, it’s usually because I’m looking to draw out a particular reaction or movement – i.e. I want you to see it.

IME, you gotta do your best not to get grabbed, get free if you do, and you gotta gotta gotta get your combatives in ASAP! Any kind of blocking or trapping is only a temporary measure. You have to scramble his brain otherwise he has the time and opportunity to continue his attack(s) or modifying his attack(s) to counter your defense.

catapult

Thanks, Don. It’s nice to hear from someone who knows a helluva lot more about knife fighting than I do.

I guess, if he doesn’t have a shirt, you could always do the jaws of life on his trapezius muscle. That might distract him with some pain as well as giving you a nice anchor.

My thinking is the defense might work more often than not because the average street punk isn’t an FMA master and is probably already committed to the belly stab by the time you get your hand on his shoulder. A variation is to raise your elbow if he tries to go outside and over.

Give it a try sometime and tell us what you think!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: