Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Overzealous teenagers

• This topic has 16 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 18 years ago by daki.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

why is it teenagers have something to prove in krav class during sparring? I had one kid who was good decide he needed a human punching bag. Next time I will jog in place or do pushups and waste his time and preserve my body.

al

Sparring is hard for the novice training in Krav Maga. Most people seem to think that it is a win/lose competition, rather than a time to work on one’s skills. I often find that less experienced sparring partners become frustrated easily and start swinging for the fences to make up for their lack of skill. I find that there are two courses of action you can follow; talk to them and tell them to back down or throw a good beating on them. I’d recommend talking because we are all in class to improve our technique and your training partner may not realize the pain he is imparting to you. I have on occassion had to hit a couple of guys a little harder than they liked however just to get their attention, and make it clear that I will give back what they give me in spades.
    You may also have to discuss this with your teacher. He should be aware of what is happening in the class and controlling the pace of the training. While you need to know how it feels to get hit and to be able to hit back when stunned, you are not there to be anybody’s whipping boy.

dkst

Drop him and then apologize.

g-v

Re:

quote \”dkst\:

Drop him and then apologize.

😆

emil

I think sultan is saying that he doesn’t yet have the option of dropping the teen. Sultan, I have three words of advice for you: 1. stick it out, don’t quit because of another person in class. your skills will suffer, not his. 2. talk to the guy before you start sparring, and give him feedback right away as you feel him getting out of hand.3. check your own level of aggression. i found that often it’s hard to self reflect, perhaps the guy is getting out of hand in response to you.

michael

Work on your defenses and counters?

😀

I did talk to my instructor afterwards and it wasnt this kids first time showing off. It’s only my second time sparring but sweeps and head kicks are not necessary no matter what.

kurtuan

Sultan, you need to be clear with your instructor. Let him know that you are there to learn not be someone’s punching bag. If this kid is just \”showing off\” then I’m sure your instructor will set him straight. Especially if he’s doing high kicks and other flashy moves then he’s not really working on his Krav skills. Work on your groin kick, that should give him a wake up call when he tries that next high kick!

g-v

Re:

quote \”Michael\:

Work on your defenses and counters?

😀

What he said.

Though no good all the time you spar, sparring with an occasional spaz makes for some realism, and adds to the fun. Ha!

Although, maybe Sultan just didn’t like getting his ass kicked by a kid. Hehe, just kidding. Hey man, the first time I went to fight class, I got my ass kicked by a girl. A pretty girl…not some bulldy…you know, ugly girl.

daki

I’ll remember that when we spar G.V. 😈

g-v

Re:

quote \”Daki\:

I’ll remember that when we spar G.V. 😈

Hey dude, I’m gonna email you something via your blog.

daki

Uh oh.

sunnysd

As far as the sweeps or high kicks, I’d say they absolutely belong in sparring, since you want to learn defenses for those in case you’re attacked by someone with some fight training. I once got **nailed** by a spinning back fist, but thanks to that experience it hasn’t happened since.

As your instructor to teach you some defenses against high kicks and you can \”surprise\” the kid the next time he tries one. 😈

g-v
    ffdo

High kicks are GREAT during sparring….. It gives you the perfect time to demo why high kicks are pretty much useless on the street…… (Yes, I know IF someone is good, they might sneak a good one in….) But, in general, if you catch the leg high, hold it there and bust the crotch or knee, well, just not a good idea for those of us that haven’t trained at the Olimpic level in TKD or weren’t raised by a Sholin master…….

JC

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: