Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Student Lounge Pa. student flashed 2 knives, injured 20

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    kmyoshi
    quote :

MURRYSVILLE, Pa. (AP) — A 16-year-old boy “was flashing two knives around” when he injured 19 students and a school police officer who eventually subdued him with the help of an assistant principal at a high school near Pittsburgh on Wednesday, a police chief said.

Murrysville police Chief Thomas Seefeld said the bloody crime scene at Franklin Regional High School, some 15 miles east of Pittsburgh, was “vast” and may take a couple days to process.
    Police haven’t named the suspect, who was taken into custody and driven from the police station in the back of a cruiser for treatment for a minor hand wound.
    Investigators haven’t determined a motive, but Seefeld said they’re looking into reports of a threatening phone call between the suspect and another student the night before. Seefeld didn’t specify whether the suspect reportedly received or made the call.
    Two student victims were in critical condition, according to Dr. Mark Rubino of Forbes Regional Medical Center, the closest hospital to the school where eight victims were taken.
    The University of Pittsburgh Medical Center treated a dozen patients. Officials said a 17-year-old boy and 14-year-old boy were in critical condition, a 17-year-old boy and a 16-year-old boy were in serious condition, and a 17-year-old boy and two 17-year-old girls were in fair condition.
    Five patients had been discharged, including three 15-year-old boys, a 16-year-old girl and an adult.
    Seefeld wouldn’t detail the carnage beyond saying, “The juvenile went down the hallway and was flashing two knives around and injured the people.”
    The chief said someone, possibly a student, pulled a fire alarm after seeing some of the victims being stabbed. Although that created chaos, he said, it also resulted in students running out of the school to safety faster than they might have otherwise.
    “The fire alarm being pulled probably assisted with the evacuation of the school and that was a good thing that that was done,” Seefeld said.

http://news.yahoo.com/police-pa-student-flashed-2-knives-injured-20-160307745.html

I’ve done knife drills where one needs to defend against an attacker with one knife… and that’s difficult enough, but two?

idbl-fanatic

Re: Pa. student flashed 2 knives, injured 20

quote KMyoshi:

http://news.yahoo.com/police-pa-student-flashed-2-knives-injured-20-160307745.html

I’ve done knife drills where one needs to defend against an attacker with one knife… and that’s difficult enough, but two?

I think that if you could get control of both arms, maybe arm bar/take down, and then take control………..I dunno honestly

kmyoshi

Not knowing how the attacker went about his rampage, it’s hard to say exactly how I would defend… If I saw someone flashing 2 knives around a school/campus, I have plenty of tools at my disposal: I would use my backpack and book(s) as a defensive barrier for distance, and phone, pen, calculator as projectiles/throwables for distractions and if you have it, a ruler as an offensive tool to increase my reach and it keeps me at a safer distance from their tools.

Given the fact that he has 2 knives, I would find it hard to be able to control both hands, and if you got control of one, you still have another knife to deal with.

lennykravist

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/09/justice/pennsylvania-school-stabbing/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Looks like he’s being charged as an adult! Hard to say what I’d have done other than run if I had that option.

tech94

Keeping him at a distance is the best thing I can think of too. Maybe keep him at bay with kicks. A slash to lower leg is better than an arterial slash higher up the thigh. Using the back pack as a Sheild is also a great idea. All in all, not easy defense.

sch-thurston

Yeah, sadly another scenario to walk our minds through. For one person with KM experience, in a crowd of panicked, untrained others I’m not sure what I might try to do. But having some objects that can be thrown – preferably objects with a bit of mass that can be hurled aggressively, like a cellphone – would be my first choice if I had one. (Objects to throw are probably more available than a long stick, although in a school you might think there would be a few baseball bats nearby.) A distraction followed up by some kicks is about all I can come up with. Ff anyone is thinking of running this as a drill in a class I’d be interested to hear what you learn!

magpie

Yeah, I would’ve run for it too. And I agree that a hurled object as a distraction followed up by kicks would probably be my approach if unable to run away.

A stick-type weapon (broom, baseball bat, etc) would’ve certainly been useful. If I were armed with a stick and confronted by such an attacker, I’d probably attack his arms/wrists/hands in order to cause him to drop the knives (the ‘defanging the snake’ principle employed by escrima). followed up by strikes (with the stick) to his face/head.

I hope none of us ever have to find out what our response would be for reals…

I would use my backpack and book(s) as a defensive barrier for distance, and phone, pen, calculator as projectiles/throwables for distractions and if you have it, a ruler as an offensive tool to increase my reach and it keeps me at a safer distance from their tools.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: