Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author

Re: Pepper spray defense

quote BradM:

I’ve never been hit with with pepper spray, but I have done the gas chamber thing several times during my military carreer. I know I hated it.

I’m going to order that pepper gel. My brother (who spent a long time as an anti-war and animal rights activist) told me that it hurts worse than anything else and you can’t get it off. We all need test dummies I guess thumbsup

quote downforlife76:

I’m going to order that pepper gel. My brother (who spent a long time as an anti-war and animal rights activist) told me that it hurts worse than anything else and you can’t get it off. We all need test dummies I guess thumbsup

LOL. I can only imagine how this stuff would feel hitting my face. And the thought that it lingers even longer because of the form that it is in makes me cringe.

Glad it’s not me who would be on the receiving end of it. 🙂

giant-killer

“Sticks like glue – attempts to wipe the gel away rub it in deeper” Wow, sounds bad…

So, for those who haven’t had the joy of being sprayed, it sort of feels like rubbing the juice of the hottest pepper imaginable all over your face and into your eyes? Can this damage the eyes? Is there anything else in the spray besides pepper that might make the effects worse?

I wonder what the penalty is for an attacker using this spray on a victim, compared to the same attacker using a knife or a gun (or even his fists) instead. The spray couldn’t really be considered a “deadly weapon”, could it? So maybe an attacker would risk less jail time using it instead of a knife or gun?

quote Giant Killer:

“Sticks like glue – attempts to wipe the gel away rub it in deeper” Wow, sounds bad…

So, for those who haven’t had the joy of being sprayed, it sort of feels like rubbing the juice of the hottest pepper imaginable all over your face and into your eyes? Can this damage the eyes? Is there anything else in the spray besides pepper that might make the effects worse?

I wonder what the penalty is for an attacker using this spray on a victim, compared to the same attacker using a knife or a gun (or even his fists) instead. The spray couldn’t really be considered a “deadly weapon”, could it? So maybe an attacker would risk less jail time using it instead of a knife or gun?

Yeah that is a pretty good comparison GK. Damage to the eyes, not really. The only only contents besides capsaicin (The stuff that makes peppers hot) is alcohol and or water which is only used as a medium by which the pepper can be sprayed.

The spray is not considered a deadly weapon and the consequences for using it differ depending on the location. From what I have read it is considerable to attacking someone so assault or battery could be charged.

http://pepperspray.lifetips.com/cat/59738/pepper-spray-law/

There is however a risk that those with Asthma can die from being exposed to it because of the effects it has on breathing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepper_spray

Now I didn’t read all of this article so I may have missed something so please don’t sue me.

guerriere

quote Giant Killer:

Pepper spray is illegal in the District of Columbia so I doubt it would be any benefit to the attacker. I imagine it would be used in a different type of crime. The point of the spray would be to disable the victim in order to do something else – like rape or kidnapping. Using the knife or gun for those crimes they’d probably just brandish it. Actually hurting someone with a knife or gun would seem to be on the tail end of the crime rather than the beginning of it.

quote Guerriere:

Pepper spray is illegal in the District of Columbia so I doubt it would be any benefit to the attacker. I imagine it would be used in a different type of crime. The point of the spray would be to disable the victim in order to do something else – like rape or kidnapping. Using the knife or gun for those crimes they’d probably just brandish it. Actually hurting someone with a knife or gun would seem to be on the tail end of the crime rather than the beginning of it.

Wow, is anything even remotely useable to help defend ones self legal in our Nations Capitol? All of these tools are made illegal in the name of protecting the people, yet it’s still a crime ridden shit-hole. The last time I was there I was very glad I had my pistol. If some miscreant decided to attempt a rape after a pepper spraying, it would probably only happen once, as said spray would undoubtedly migrate towards said miscreants genitals. Most good sprays stay viable for a good long time, and speaking from years of using it, it gets all over the place and is readily transferable from body to body.

quote downforlife76:

When dealing with Animal Rights activists and Anti War demonstrators, I prefer to use pepper ball guns. (Imagine a paint ball gun on steroids filled with balls that contain OC). This is the preferred tool for several reasons, including but not limited to the following:

– These types rarely bathe, so distance is our friend.
    – Stupidity is not contagious, but why risk it?
    – Standoff distance equals time to enjoy the sights and sounds of panicked stupid stinky people running around in circles.

I’m sure that there are more reasons, but this is a good starting point.

kmcat

I’m fighting a cold and my eyes started watering and closing up just reading this thread!

Thankfully the closest experince I have had to this is spicy dishes at Thai resturants.

Speaking theoretically, since trying to run away and not being able to see where you are going you might get to a more dangerous positon like the lady GK mentions.

It might make more sense to move in close to grapple and strike the attacker. If you are in physical contact you know where he is and as mentioned some of the spray could rub off and affect him.

giant-killer

If you see the spray, but are too far away to make a quick redirection defense, maybe you could just hold up your arms in front of your face, to keep the spray from hitting your head. Then maybe move closer, either redirect the hand holding the spray bottle if possible, or try to hit the guy’s face with your arms that are now full of pepper spray. Once the stuff gets into his face, at least now you are on equal footing as far as pain is concerned.

Actually, the attacker in this case attempted to sexually assault the victim, he pulled off her pants I believe, but then he fled. Maybe he did get some spray on his own body and felt the effects.

quote Jeremy Stafford:

When dealing with Animal Rights activists and Anti War demonstrators, I prefer to use pepper ball guns. (Imagine a paint ball gun on steroids filled with balls that contain OC). This is the preferred tool for several reasons, including but not limited to the following:

– These types rarely bathe, so distance is our friend.
    – Stupidity is not contagious, but why risk it?
    – Standoff distance equals time to enjoy the sights and sounds of panicked stupid stinky people running around in circles.

I’m sure that there are more reasons, but this is a good starting point.

Haha.. I’m sure some of the cops on this board have used some of these techniques on me and my brother when we were young and dumb thumbsup

When I was at school some guy pulled out a can of pepper spray from somebody’s pencil case, without actually knowing what it was, aimed it at me and almost sprayed me (as a joke I guess, he didn’t know what it was!) but luckily my quick reflexes saved me and I deflected his arm (like a gun defense I guess), controlled the arm and shouted at him to not do it, until he got the point LOL.

This was at school, when I was totally unprepared for being attacked or anything, so if I could do it it’s possible to be done…of course if somebody wants to be very malicious they can hide the spray, bring it up very quickly and try to spray you, they won’t stick it in your face, but still.

guerriere

quote Giant Killer:

If you see the spray, but are too far away to make a quick redirection defense, maybe you could just hold up your arms in front of your face, to keep the spray from hitting your head. Then maybe move closer, either redirect the hand holding the spray bottle if possible, or try to hit the guy’s face with your arms that are now full of pepper spray. Once the stuff gets into his face, at least now you are on equal footing as far as pain is concerned.

Actually, the attacker in this case attempted to sexually assault the victim, he pulled off her pants I believe, but then he fled. Maybe he did get some spray on his own body and felt the effects.

I reacted to pepper spray that went off accidentally in someone’s purse, about fifteen feet away. After that experience I’m pretty sure I don’t want to carry any myself! If I used it on someone else I’d get a pretty good whiff too. Your story reminded me of that. I wonder if we could count on the attacker being affected too in this scenario. I don’t know how cops use it without feeling its effects. Maybe they do but adrenaline and training keep them on task. :dunno:

quote Guerriere:

I reacted to pepper spray that went off accidentally in someone’s purse, about fifteen feet away. After that experience I’m pretty sure I don’t want to carry any myself! If I used it on someone else I’d get a pretty good whiff too. Your story reminded me of that. I wonder if we could count on the attacker being affected too in this scenario. I don’t know how cops use it without feeling its effects. Maybe they do but adrenaline and training keep them on task. :dunno:

I’m not a cop so I can’t speak for one but I know that one of the reasons in the Navy Security Force we had to get sprayed with it ourselves in order to carry it is so that we knew what to expect when exposed to it and could still maintain.

Granted you never become immune to it but you get more used to the effects of it. You also have to get exposed to it once a year to keep your qualifications up.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: