Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Student Lounge Phase A preperation

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    jdejongh

Im nervous and excited about upcoming phase A training in a few weeks. Any helpful tips would be appreciated

crazy-train

Re: Phase A preperation

Hydrate, power bar type foods during the day (something that stays down, over eating and heavy foods are your enemy), aleeve was a good friend to me as was tiger balm. Review what you have learned shortly after the days training is done, and before passing out. Use time inbetween to relax. Listen to what is said, ask questions, and give 100+% every day. Not much else I can give as advice. Good luck, and most importantly, have fun!

mara-jade

BEST WISHES AND KICK A$$thumbsup

nosceteipsum

Hot Tub did wonders for me and my classmates.

nosceteipsum

I don’t know why I capitalized “hot tub”.

crazy-train

quote nosceteipsum:

I don’t know why I capitalized “hot tub”.

It was that important 🙂

kirk

It is that important. Epsom Salts, Icy Hot, Ibuprofen every 4 hours, and it is ok to cry as long as no one see’s you and if they do blood better be mixed in. 😉

phlegmon27

+1, Kirk. I’m going to add Arnica and/or “Traumeel” cream. Works wonders on those 360-defense bruises 😉

Also, never miss a chance to hydrate and/or snack on some trail mix.
    Have fun!

hemibuck

Hydrate…hydrate…hydrate!! Pace yourself…you will want to come out guns a blazing, but being able to hang in there for 8 hours a day for 7 days requires a ton of endurance. Eat well, ice whatever is sore and get good sleep every night.

For me every story I heard was true and them some. Most of all listen to your instructors and learn to work well with your partner they need you as much as you need them. Good luck!

kravmdjeff

JDE, solicit as much feedback as you can from your Phase instructors. Be the squeaky wheel. You’ll get the most amount of gain for your pain, and their input will help lightbulbs go off in your head that otherwise wouldn’t.

Also, I strongly disagree with hemibuck about pacing yourself. The Phase instructors will set the pace that’s most appropriate according to the technique, skill, drill, etc. that you happen to be working on. They’ll also usually explain why. Go the pace that they tell you to go, even if you think you can’t.

Also, take the initiative to get in front of class when offered. When it comes to mock-teaching or leading warm-ups, be the first person willing to go. This will help to calm any nerves you may still have about being in front of people, and it will also demonstrate a willingness to be a leader.

Know what your weaknesses are, and pay extra attention when the Phase instructors are teaching through them. Ask for input even after the day’s training is done. This may sound crazy, but I had two candidates from Kentucky at a Phase B in Maryland who stayed late, even after an 8-hour day of training, to work on side kicks and back kicks, since they knew they weren’t their strength. The effort alone was impressive.

Also, know what your strengths are, and make sure that they stay strong throughout the training and the test. You should have at least a few things you do that are impressive, even among a group of instructor candidates.

Finally, if you’re traveling, be sure to do two things to off-set the downtime after the training…1) Get to know your fellow candidates. Aside from making the KM community stronger and more enjoyable, this will make the training sessions easier if you have some closer comrades training with you…and 2) Keep in touch with folks back home. Phase training is as difficult mentally as it is physically…and that’s on purpose. Make sure to keep in touch with family and friends when you’re not training. Trust me, it helps.

I’m not going to tell you anything like “don’t give up” or “give it your all.” If you didn’t already know you should be doing that, you probably shouldn’t be going anyway.

gregg

From my experience of instructor phases, I would say that:

– Don’t play the tough guy. If you’re injured, you’re injured and if you don’t deal with it it won’t get better and you WILL be impeed.

– Stay focused, the most important thing is not to be able to do the technique 5 times perfectly bu to be abble to do it very good for 5 minutes keeping your aggression (not so easy).

– Do not think in therm of “time left” but in therm of “time done”. Ex: Dont say to yourself “Crap, still 3 days to go” but “Already two days behind me, I can keep the pressure”

– It could sounds like a very european advice but if you have the chance, go donwtown at the evening to have two pints of beer and a bag of chips 😉 It really helps the day after…

jdejongh

good stuff, thanks so much

jdejongh

Thanks, it was a wild ride and a great experience, and to top it off I Passed. Thanks again for all the good input… it did help

unstpabl1

:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo: Congratulations

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: