Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    edsko

Hi,

Is there a definite description somewhere (or can somebody tell me here :)) how the various instructor training phases correspond to the belt levels (as far as Krav Maga Worldwide is concerned)? I’d like to know for each phase (phase A, phase B, phase C, expert level 1, etc.):

– What belt the instructor must be (it is my understanding that at the end of each phase, the instructor must test in a particular belt?)

– Up to what belt level the instructor can teach, and

– Up to what belt level the instructor can grade his or her students

Thanks!

mara-jade

Re: Phases vs. belts?

Welcome Edsko!

I’ll leave it to the instructors to answer your question. I”m a student so I’m not familiar with what you’re asking. 😀

brentw

Phase A allows you to teach Level 1
    Phase B allows you to teach Level 2 and test for Level 1

The progressions follows from there with the exception of Expert 3, 4, and 5.
    Expert 3 and 4 are prep for Instructor 1st degree Black belt. Expert 5 is invitation only and it is the actual test. Once passed you can test brown belt students (lvl5) and teach them black belt material.

There will be specialization certs for Instructors to teach Gun, Advanced Gun, Rifle, Stick, and Knife that fall outside of the regular Level/Belt progression.

giant-killer

So if an instructor passes let’s say expert 1 (equivalent of blue belt?) or even expert 2 or higher, he could not teach weapons defenses, even though they are part of the curriculum at that level? He would need additional certifications?

edsko

Thanks for the reply. Sorry to ask basic questions — our school is currently switching over from IMKF to KMW 🙂 I thought that KMW uses belts? Or they do only use levels? Or are they one and the same thing?

giant-killer

They are switching? How come?

We use belts from white (beginner) to Black Belt and above. The levels are 1-5. LV1 is for beginners, LV2 yellow belts, LV3 orange belts, LV4 green belts, LV5 blue belts and above. LV1 -5 are what the classes are called and they cover different material from beginning to advanced. We don’t actually wear the belts by the way, but you are still called a “yellow belt” when you pass that test. More confusion… 🙂

brentw

GK,
    The specialization certs (for lack of any official term that I am aware of) are for instructors that don’t have the time to commit to a full phase or just want the ability to teach weapons without going higher in the system. If you go through the Expert series, then yes you can teach anything contained in that course curriculum (weapons, throws, ground, etc.)

edsko,
    The only reason we ever use belts is so that other systems have a better idea of equivalent ranking. If you say I’m a Expert Practitioner, no one outside the system has any idea what that means. That being said, we never wear them. The last time I used mine was in a belt drill. A much better use in my estimation.

edsko

Yes, I understand the belts are never worn. In fact, I trained in the States for a few months (in Bellevue, Seattle) and they indeed used the belt only in a belt drill 🙂 So that seems to be a common theme 🙂

But, I’m still slightly confused 🙂 In http://kmforum.kravmaga.com/showthread.php?t=2133 it was claimed that “Phase A includes yellow belt and orange belt material” — but that seems to contradict what was said just now (Phase A corresponds to level 1 according to BrentW, but Giant Killer says — unless I misunderstand) that yellow and orange belt correspond to levels 2 and 3, respectively).

Note that I’m not a newbie at Krav Maga (though by no means an expert either :); I’ll be taking the Phase A instructor training in December (one of the reasons for switching to KMW by the way is the better instructor training). I’m just a newbie at the whole phases/levels/belts thing, because we didn’t use any of that in our school so far 🙂

stevetuna

quote edsko:

Note that I’m not a newbie at Krav Maga (though by no means an expert either :); I’ll be taking the Phase A instructor training in December (one of the reasons for switching to KMW by the way is the better instructor training). I’m just a newbie at the whole phases/levels/belts thing, because we didn’t use any of that in our school so far 🙂

If you’re going to Phase A in December, don’t worry about the belts. Get your Krav Maga book out and learn the material in the first section cold!!! Know your choke defenses. Get into the gym, put on the Bas Rutten CD and make sure that your conditioning is at its best. Be prepared for a great challenge. Talk to your instructors about their teaching methods. Think about what you like, as a student, from the classes you’ve taken. Imagine yourself teaching a technique (or, better yet, ask your instructor if you can do a little mock teaching for the instructor to critique).

Good luck to you, edsko! Get yourself as ready as you can be!

craig-p

quote edsko:

But, I’m still slightly confused 🙂 In http://kmforum.kravmaga.com/showthread.php?t=2133 it was claimed that “Phase A includes yellow belt and orange belt material” — but that seems to contradict what was said just now (Phase A corresponds to level 1 according to BrentW, but Giant Killer says — unless I misunderstand) that yellow and orange belt correspond to levels 2 and 3, respectively).

Phase A-C in a nutshell (or in Krav terms in a RNC)Ö In Phase A we train extensively on level 1 (yellow belt) and to a lesser extent level 2 (orange belt) techniques. Passing Phase A certifies you to instruct level 1 only. In Phase B we train extensively on level 2 material and to a lesser extent level 3 techniques. Passing Phase B certifies you to instruct both levels 1 & 2. In Phase C you will perfect your level 3 techniques and can instruct levels 1-3. Donít worry about the advanced instructor training beyond phase C right now as it is too far off in your training to worry about.

Phase training is tremendously rewarding but definitely one ofÖ ok the most, challenging experiences of my life!

Hope that clears it up for you.

brentw

edsko,
    In each phase you are shown higher level material so you can work on it between phases and get ready for the next one. That way you don’t have to learn the stuff in a week and be tested. You should have been working on it for 6 months and we do the clean up and little detail work over the week. Did you train with Chris and Nick in WA? They were my students when they lived in LA. They really have the krav mentality.

edsko

So is the following summary fair?

Level 1 = training for Yellow Belt
    (i.e., having completed level 1 you’d get a yellow belt if belts are used)
    Level 2 = training for Orange Belt
    Level 3 = training for Green Belt

Phase A: train level 1 (and some level 2) and pass level 1.
    Having completed Phase A, you can teach up to level 1.

Phase B: train level 2 (and some level 3) and pass level 2.
    Having completed Phase B, you can teach up to level 2 and grade for level 1.

Phase C: train level 3 and pass level 3
    Having completed Phase C, you can teach up to level 3 and grade for level 2.

Is that about it? Do you need to do Expert Level 1 to be able to grade for level 3?

edsko

quote BrentW:

edsko,
    Did you train with Chris and Nick in WA? They were my students when they lived in LA. They really have the krav mentality.

Yep. They are great guys and excellent instructors!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: