Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Police Officer Brent Wilkening.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    la-revancha

Score one for the good guys!

It is with upmost pride that I extend congratulations to one of my instructors, the forum’s own 3rd degree black belt Brent Wilkening, for being sworn in as an LEO today.

°Felicidades, Brother Brent!

stevetuna

Re: Police Officer Brent Wilkening.

Congratulations, Officer Wilkening! Some things for you to remember:

1.) Run everybody;
    2.) Never assume;
    3.) Someone is always recording you;
    4.) Take care of your family and yourself – the job is #2;
    5.) Don’t take things personally;
    6.) Not everyone you run into is a bad guy;
    7.) Go home after each shift with the same number of holes in you that you started with;
    8.) When things go south, do what you must to prevail;
    9.) Trust your instincts – when something doesn’t feel right, it probably isn’t;
    10.) Complaicency kills;
    11.) Don’t worry about losing a case – he’ll be back soon enough;
    12.) Small things can be big things. Today’s B&E guy is tomorrow’s rapist. It all counts;
    13.) Be curious, be nosy. There’s a reason the bad guy doesn’t want you to check something…;
    14.) Ask them once, tell them once, then make them. It’s a good rule, not absolute, however;
    15.) If you must use force, use sufficient force (something tells me that you get this);
    16.) Let the bad guys talk. Listen, lock them in. Don’t interrupt if they want to confess;
    17.) You will hear, “Two beers” in a variety of languages..;
    18.) Do the right thing, even though nobody is looking. No matter how much it hurts;
    19.) Be honest. If youíre testifying in court and realize you made a mistake with something, be honest. Itís better to admit a mistake and lose a case than to risk perjuring yourself and being known as a liar;
    20.) Talk to a homeless person the same as youíd talk to a CEO, or a Harvard professor;
    21.) Be firm, be fair, and have a plan to kill anyone you encounter;
    22.) Wear your vest. Yes, it is hot and uncomfortable;
    23.) Wear your seatbelt whenever possible, and practice unbuckling it quickly. Your blue lights don’t make you immune to car accidents.
    24.) The job changes people. It is neither good nor bad, it just is;
    25.) And, enjoy every moment that you have been given the opportunity to have the privilege of being LE officer…even on the crappiest of days. Because there will be one day, sooner or later, that will come along that you won’t be able to or can’t do the job anymore and you will wish for even those crappy days.

We get to share the worst 15 minutes of someone’s life with them. It is a terrible, awsome responsibility. We laugh a lot because we see the funniest things ever. We cry a lot, too, usually when we get off of our shift and reflect on the horrible things we deal with. On Friday night, I had to deal with the suicide of a 20 year old kid whose little sister was one of my first yellow belts. She found him and it was horrible. It takes something out of you to be around that level of pain. Have some good, healthy outlets. Be grateful for the good things in your life and keep them close. Don’t be afraid to ask for help when you need it.

BTW, the above list was culled from the “Cop Talk” section of Glocktalk.com, one of the best LEO sites I’ve ever found. Please check it out.

The last thing to know is that alcohol and badge bunnies claim more cops every year than do bad guys and car wrecks.

Best wishes, Brent. Be safe.

saruotoko

I’ll second all those good wishes. If he brings 1/2 the dedication to his job as an LEO that he does to his personal Krav training, and I’m sure he’ll bring ALL of that level of dedication, he’s going to make an immediate positive impact on his community.

Congratulations, Brent!

ryan

Congrats, Brent!

don

Thanks for the heads up Christian!

Brent, congrats Bro! :woohoo: Welcome to the dark side… thumbsup

Even though you’re not (but should be) wearing tan and green, if I can ever be of any service, please don’t hesitate to contact me (and I’m sure I’m speaking for Mike too). Stay Safe! :wav:

don

Also, to piggyback onto Steve’s post, here is something I hand out to every academy graduate or patrol trainee I lecture/instruct/orient… As you know, we all have our “off” or “less than ideal” days…

http://www.aphf.org/10dead.pdf

http://www.njlawman.com/Ten%20Deadly%20Sins.htm

1. Lack of Concentration: If you fail to keep your mind on the job while on patrol or carry home problems into the field, you start to make errors. It can cost you and your fellow officers their lives.
    2. Tombstone Courage: Just what it says, if time allows wait for backup. There are very few instances where you should try and make a dangerous apprehension unaided.
    3. Not Enough Rest: to do your job you must be alert. Lack of sleep or being sleepy can endanger yourself, the community and fellow officers.
    4. Taking a Bad Position: Never let anyone you are questioning or about to stop get in a better position than you are. THERE IS NO SUCH ANIMAL AS A ROUTINE STOP!!!
    5. Not Heeding the Danger Signs: As a cop you will get to recognize “danger signs”. Movements, strange cars, warnings that should alert you to watch your step and approach with caution. Know your beat and watch for what is out of place.
    6. Failure to Watch the Hands of a Suspect: Is he or she reaching for a weapon or getting to smack you? WHERE ELSE CAN A KILLER STRIKE FROM, BUT FROM THEIR HANDS!!!!
    7. Relaxing Too Soon: YES, the rut of false alarms are accidental or whatever. Still, observe the activity. NEVER take any call as routine or just another false alarm. It could be your ass on the line.
    8. Improper Handcuffing: Once you have made the arrest, handcuff the prisoner CORRECTLY! See that the hands that can kill you are safely secured.
    9. No Search or Bad Search: There are too many places to hide a weapon that if you fail to search you are guilty of committing a crime against other officers that will have contact with your prisoner. Many people carry weapons and are able and ready to use them on you. Never assume that the next guy or the jailer will do a “GOOD” search.
    10. Dirty or Inoperative Weapon: Is your sidearm clean? How about the bullets? Did you clean your weapon since the last range? Or have you even shot or practiced drawing your weapon recently? Can you hit your target in a combat situation? You must practice faithfully and religiously.

psyops

Big Brother Brent!

Congrats my friend. I am so happy for you as I know that you have worked so very hard for this day. Once again you have set a goal and accomplished it. You always excel and there is no doubt you will be a fantastic representative of the law enforcement community!

Congrats Brother,

Donavin

mara-jade

CONGRATS!!thumbsupthumbsup

ncsam160

Congrats Brent! Great job.

brentw

Wow, thank you to everyone. You guys are the best. Since the Krav Smurf left it out – the two awards are top recruit in Shooting (Thanks Uncle Scotty – ITTS) and Arrest and Control. I may not be a smart man but I will kick your butt if you make fun of me. 🙂

Again, thank you to everyone.

Congrats! Be safe out there!!

jenn

Ummm, I’m going to show my naÔvetÈ with this but I’ve got to ask anyway. What is a “badge bunny”? If it’s what I think I am ashamed for my sex. Please be kind 🙂

Congrats Officer Wilkening.

quote Jenn:

Ummm, I’m going to show my naÔvetÈ with this but I’ve got to ask anyway. What is a “badge bunny”? If it’s what I think I am ashamed for my sex. Please be kind 🙂

Congrats Officer Wilkening.

Yes, it’s what you think it is…Also known as a holster sniffer. Every profession has it’s groupies I guess.

silas

Well so far I havn’t found the groupies for Forensic Toxicologists or chemists, but oh well.

Congratulations Officer Brent.

brentw

Groupies?! Really?! I thought I would have to work vice for that kind of fun. Wow, christmas comes early!! (Or Chanukkah if I can get 7.)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: