Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics potential hand injury – seeking advice

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    omfgnoogies

first off im a righty

heres the issue. I’ve been doin Krav about 4-5 times a week for about a month now and my hand is really starting to bother me. My pinky and my ring finger on my right hand are fairly sore, and the space between the knuckle has swelled up to the point where the dip isnt much of a dip anymore. There is no other swelling and what i have currently does not seem so bad. There is some bruising as well. I know what the culprit is. I’m working on the problem in class every punch i throw (concentrating to impacting with the top 2 knuckles). The pain which isnt much, has traveled down my hand slightly and is now closer to my wrist. Its not a bad pain, but its that somewhat sluggish feeling like when someone gives you a dead arm.

I spoke to a few instructors at the gym and they said to tape it up. That is what i have been doing.

I just sort of want a second opinion before i goto the doctor because i feel like this is a fairly common issue as far as any combat sport is concerned.

Do i need to take a week off? Should i be wearing mma gloves instead? Should i wrap and use the gloves?

I’m thinking of just rolling into class wearing 16 oz gloves. Not only will it be an incredible work out with all the punches we throw, but it should soften up the beatings my hands are taking and allow me to heal.

Throw me your 2 cents. Is there a cause for concern? Boxers break (more likely a super slight sprain) maybe?

If im being a bitch let me know and ill just suck it up.

Thanks in advance

i feel like this post is a cluster**** of what i wanted to say. Probably cause im hungry and its time for food. So if i need to add some more, let me know

kirsten

Re: potential hand injury – seeking advice

First, take a week if your not going to see a doctor. I recommend going to see a doctor, but keep in mind that if its a hairline fracture in the hand it may not be visible with an XRay. However there are many posters here trained in the medical field and I am sure they can give your more direct information on going to a clinic and getting help. I never go to the doctor for anything, so I won’t really lecture you on that. 🙂

Here is my real advice and I say it all the time here:

-When doing striking, wear handwraps THEN your 14 oz (minimum) gloves OVER them. I don’t know a single professional fighter that does not do this. Take care of your hands.

-If your training for an MMA fight, then gradually start to wear your MMA gloves OVER your wraps. Then as the bones in your hands get used to the impact and your form improves start to phase out the boxing gloves. If you prefer MMA gloves to boxing gloves as I do, then gradually do this.

While your on the mend, tell your pad holder to decrease the amount of “holding resistance” they give you when your hitting the focus mits. Stay off the heavy bag during this time.

Hope you heal up soon.

tech94

im an RN and have seen many injuries like this. i definetly agree that you should see a doctor or go to local er and be seen in the fast track er where they can shoot an xray and do whats needed for the injury. whether you go to get medical attention or not definetly take time off from training to prevent any fracture if there isnt one or to prevent an existing one getting worse

omfgnoogies

quote tech94:

im an RN and have seen many injuries like this. i definetly agree that you should see a doctor or go to local er and be seen in the fast track er where they can shoot an xray and do whats needed for the injury. whether you go to get medical attention or not definetly take time off from training to prevent any fracture if there isnt one or to prevent an existing one getting worse

exactly what i didnt wanna hear 🙁
    i think im gonna go to the orthopedic surgeon tomorrow wish me luck guys

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: