Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Pratical Self Defense

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    mpossoff

Hi all, I’m looking into taking KM.

How pratical or not practical is KM for real life self defense?

Marc

Re: Pratical Self Defense

quote \”mpossoff\:

Marc

That is like walking into a Ford dealer and asking them how good their cars are.

Here are my views:

http://12.107.28.178/viewtopic.php?t=2503&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

(scroll down to my 3 posts a third of the way down the page)

In short, it will totally depend on your instructors. There seems to be a huge range in the quality of instruction and schools out there. Mine appears to be as bad as they come.

mpossoff

Re: Pratical Self Defense

quote \”Strictly Street\:

quote \”mpossoff\:

Marc

That is like walking into a Ford dealer and asking them how good their cars are.

Here are my views:

http://12.107.28.178/viewtopic.php?t=2503&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

(scroll down to my 3 posts a third of the way down the page)

In short, it will totally depend on your instructors. There seems to be a huge range in the quality of instruction and schools out there. Mine appears to be as bad as they come.

Thank you!

I’m looking at a couple of schools in the Philadelphia area. Do you know anything about Ernie Kirk’s school.

Marc

jburtonpdx

On a business trip earlier this year I was in Philadelphia and stopped by to train at his school one night. It was great, Gerry Walsh taught the Krav class that night and the training was top notch and intense. I also got to train with Ernie and Stephen before the Krav class, though that class was not Krav it was still top level training.

I had heard that there was some sort of falling out between Ernie and Krav which is to bad as I think that both are great. I hope that is worked out, but dont know. Either way – I believe that any training you get at Ernie’s school will be top level stuff.

Of course I would really hope that you get Krav training, as I personally believe it is the best way to take somebody to a high level of proficiency in a very short period of time, while providing an amazingly intense workout.

giant-killer

Yeah, Ernie used to be with KMAA, not sure what happened.

Street, why are you going to that school if it is \”as bad as they come\”? No other options? 😕 Anyway, sorry to hear.

mpossoff, I do think KM, as a system, is great for self-defense. There are defenses against unarmed attack as well as weapons, even weapon vs weapon later on. It’s based on simple, instinctive movements and is easy to learn, yet very effective.

One thing you may want to make sure of, if you are interested in all aspects of KM, is that the school you choose offers advanced level classes also. Weapons don’t officially start until LV4, maybe some in LV3, so if that level isn’t taught, you may not get to see these techniques. So, you could ask them about that.

jburtonpdx

I see that now – Ernie is not with KMAA any more. That sucks….

Anyway – good luck with training, train hard and often.

justin53ro

\”Marc[/quote]

\”That is like walking into a Ford dealer and asking them how good their cars are. \”

I would rather put Krav up there with something better than a Ford!!! maybe a Fararri or even a Toyota? ha ha
    😀

maskedkat

Re:

quote \”Justin53ro\:

\”Marc

\”That is like walking into a Ford dealer and asking them how good their cars are. \”

I would rather put Krav up there with something better than a Ford!!! maybe a Fararri or even a Toyota? ha ha
    :D[/quote]

Hey, hey, heeeyyy!!!

I am a Mustang gal – don’t mess with a Mustang chick who does Krav! 😉

rick-prado

go to erniekirk.com if you want to train with him, he’s still teaching in the Philly area.

rick-prado

Sorry, here’s the link.

http://www.kirkspma.com/index.cfm?page=4

kravjeff

I had the fortune of working with Ernie at a seminar a couple of years ago – I really enjoyed it and would definitely train with him.

That being said – I don’t know anything about his split from the KMAA. My personal concern with anyone not affiliated with the KMAA, if I wanted specifically to learn KM specifically, would be whether or that instructor was teaching KM in accordance with the KMAA or if he or she was teaching their \”own\” SD style, which may be very effective, but may not be \”pure\” KM. Again – I don’t want to imply anything here. Just a thought.

stevetuna

To answer the original question in a different fashion – I’m a cop, and I wholeheartedly believe in Krav Maga to help me to make it home at the end of each shift. My Krav Maga training saved me one particular night, no question about it.

I’m a father, and I wholeheartedly believe in Krav Maga to help my two young daughters survive in an increasingly savage world. I won’t always be there to help them, so they are going to need to know how to defend themselves. Krav Maga training will provide that.

I hope that these very basic answers help you.

If you ask why I believe these things, I’ll give you my short answer: stress training. Krav Maga is taught in a realistic manner. We train from a position of disadvantage, so as to thoroughly test each technique.

As with anything, your mileage may vary. Good luck to you!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: