Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Preparing for Yellow Belt Test in November

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    kravazon

So… I’m gonna go for it. I’m gonna test in November for my yellow belt.

I’ve talked to a few people who have taken the test to get some pointers and they’ve pretty much scared the crap outta me. 8+ hour test? Non-stop? 100%? Yeah. Uh huh. We’ll see. This makes me think I should start preparing now.

I have a month and I’m sure I’ll need every class I can take to just make it through the test alive. Here’s what I’m thinking so far:

• Iím going to start running (or other cardio) and practicing my defenses on the days I donít go to Krav.
    • Iím going to work up to going to every Level 1 class I can. By the end of October, I will be going to every possible Krav class, including multiple classes per night.
    • My birthday is coming up too. So in celebration of that, Iím going to treat myself to a one-on-one session with one of my favorite instructors.
    • A week before the test, Iím going to hit the Krav and Crossfit classes hard.
    • Rest up a few days before the test.

Any other suggestions?? What did you guys do to prepare for your belt test? (Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!)

mattp

Re: Preparing for Yellow Belt Test in November

Looks like a well thought out plan. My guess would be that you are one determined individual!
    As far as your conditioning plan goes I would highly suggest taking some Bag classes at your club and also get a hold of Bas Rutten’s Workout CD’s and start them ASAP. I would also suggest starting Cross Fit now and would do Bas and Cross Fit instead of running(JMHO). This will work your anerobic capacity, which you will need for the test.

Best of luck.
    Matt

mara-jade

Definitely need some cardio/endurance classes. A big part of the test is to ‘fight’ while you may be the most tired, the most exhausted.

The night before hubby and I carb’d up big time – steak, potatoes, you name it. The day of the test, you need energy but having a big breakfast before the test (unless it’s at least several hours before) WOULD BE A BIG MISTAKE.

Even if you think you screwed up a move – DON’T STOP-FINISH IT. In a real fight, how the heck would the attacker know if you did it wrong?

Take plenty of liquids, extra shirts, etc.

Ours was 5 hours – had our cardio, workshop and then test.

Good luck on your test! :wav:

I’ll add one more thing.

Wear groin protection……………..

When I tested Yellow my partner did NOT…… After 4 hrs even the best will have trouble with control. I did the best I could but he did get popped a couple of times. I felt really bad; At least we both passed.

RS

uncleruckus

Good plan. I wasn’t able to go to multiple classes a day when I prepped for my one (beginning of September) so I was in the gym at lunch on the treadmill, elliptical, and bike (I don’t know if they have different benefits, I just get bored easily so I switched it up). Your plan for conditioning seems on point, you should be in great shape when the test comes.

For your techniques, make sure you’ve seen everything at least once. Some of them are simple enough so that if you’ve practice it a few times you’re a pro. Others need lots and lots of practice, and the testers will know who hasn’t trained as much as they should have (for my test it was inside defense against a low straight punch that a bunch of people were slipping on).

For nutrition, no carb diets don’t work because your body goes into survival mode and when it finally gets carbs it stores them away more so than if you ate them normally. You can use that to your advantage, go no-carb for a few days before the test then have your big carb dinner the night before and breakfast the day of. Bring lots and lots of liquids. I did a 50/50 gatorade and water mix and went through a gallon of it during the test. If you want to bring energy gel packets, do it. If you don’t use them you’ll just be relaxed that they’re there if you need them.

My test was just under 6 hours of hell, but all of us walked out of there with huge grins on our faces. Go 100% the whole time, have fun, and let us know how it went.

kravazon

This is great advice! Thank you so much! Every time I think about it I get so pumped…

And I’ll definitely let you guys know how it goes! EEEEP!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: