Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    charlie1

Does anyone take private lessons to supplement group classes? If so. do you find that it advances your learning at a level that warrants the extra costs?

mara-jade

Re: Private Lessons

I’ve only taken private lessons when I was getting ready for testing at levels 2 and 3. For what we needed, it was worth the cost. We only wanted to take the test once. It worked:D:

My hubby and I found training with higher level students was a great help. Depending on the class size, it may not be possible for the instructor(s) to tweak every student.

What level are you now?

twr3cks

oh wow i didn’t even know you they did private lessons. is it something they charge for or just get together with an insturctor?

charlie1

quote mara_jade:

I’ve only taken private lessons when I was getting ready for testing at levels 2 and 3. For what we needed, it was worth the cost. We only wanted to take the test once. It worked:D:

My hubby and I found training with higher level students was a great help. Depending on the class size, it may not be possible for the instructor(s) to tweak every student.

What level are you now?

Just started level 1 about 2 months ago, but can only go to classes twice per week due to work/home schedule. I was thinking about doing a one hour private lesson before class on some of those days (probably just occasionally due to the high cost) to get more up to speed. As an alternative I could do a KO boxing class after class without any extra cost.

thecrownsown

I’ve taken private lessons for over a year just stopping a couple weeks ago but planning to start again in September (it’s triathlon season now, somthing has to give!! 🙂 )

They are worth every penny. You have the sole attention of the instructor. No chance to skimp on effort or form as there attention is solely on you. The feed back is immediate and specific towards you. I would say I’ve picked up more, and have personally seen more progress by private lessons.

That being said, I think the group experience is important to be exposed to a variety of different types of people/opponents. But to supplement group training with private lessons….absolutely invaluable. If you have the $$$ I personally recommend it. You will see the difference.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

I give several privates a week and I make sure and take at least one myself. It gives me the ability to focus on a specific thing and get live feedback/correction. I agree they are well worth it.

mara-jade

quote TWR3CKS:

oh wow i didn’t even know you they did private lessons. is it something they charge for or just get together with an insturctor?

You had to pay for private lessons. It’s been awhile since we did those so I honestly don’t know if that’s still the case at Pete’s. Best best is give them a call and ask.

http://krav-maga-san-antonio.com/location/

charlie1

quote TheCrownsOwn:

I’ve taken private lessons for over a year just stopping a couple weeks ago but planning to start again in September (it’s triathlon season now, somthing has to give!! 🙂 )

They are worth every penny. You have the sole attention of the instructor. No chance to skimp on effort or form as there attention is solely on you. The feed back is immediate and specific towards you. I would say I’ve picked up more, and have personally seen more progress by private lessons.

That being said, I think the group experience is important to be exposed to a variety of different types of people/opponents. But to supplement group training with private lessons….absolutely invaluable. If you have the $$$ I personally recommend it. You will see the difference.

Can you give me a general idea of a price range for private lessons. I realize that there may be a lot of variables such as level of instructor experience, how many lessons you commit to take, number of students in private lesson, etc. Thank you.

thecrownsown

quote Charlie1:

Can you give me a general idea of a price range for private lessons. I realize that there may be a lot of variables such as level of instructor experience, how many lessons you commit to take, number of students in private lesson, etc. Thank you.

I’m probably not helpful to you re: $$$ as I train in Waterloo, ON Canada. I’d hate to tell you I pay x amount of dollars here and you find out it’s more expensive or less expensive where you are. (I’m assuming your in the US, different currency, cost of living in different regions may effect rates, etc. etc.) Call up your centre, and ask what they have to offer for private lessons. That’s all I did, and I found the prices they offered to be very fair and reasonable. It is a bit more if you want the most senior instructor, but hey….you get what you pay for if you hire the Phd., and not the undergraduate! :): Your instructor could also give you some good input on what would work for you in frequency of lessons, etc. The last part of your posts: # of students, I’d think would be 1. You! 🙂 Or else it isn’t a private lesson. I’ve no idea if anyone offers semi private lessons.

unstpabl1

i workout in a gym where you pretty much learn by doing or following along in the group class. i’ve used this gym many times over the years but never stayed long until now because of it. But the instructors ar top shelf so the privates are very good. So the methodology is poor

In the krav classes I took the group instruction even in big classes was very detailed. You were taught the structure and the why. It was broken down. So you learn an awful lot in group class

A private isn’t always the best way to train but it is the best way to grow simply because the focus for the hour is on you. On your weaknesses, flaws, and even strengths. It can get pricey but is worth the investment

If you ever get the chance take a private with CJ’s Dad…do it!!!! I trained once with him in agroup class and I’ll relate this story as what the result of that class was. I train a lot with the new guys at my gym because my conditioning sucks and also because one of the instructors likes how I work with them. When I hold pads I break down the punches and kicks exactly like CJ’s Dad did. I’ve had guys comment that they learned more from my in 5 minutes than a month of class which is probably true but has nothing to do with me as I suck but has a lot to do with being able to have worked with someone who knew how to teach and took the time to do it right

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Damn Mike maybe I should hire you as my PR guy LOL

unstpabl1

quote CJs Dad:

Damn Mike maybe I should hire you as my PR guy LOL

KMW shoulda done that years ago anyway. Then I could’ve trained LOL

Funny I wrote this before going to workout today and by a fluke was asked to teach the afternoon class. small class, mostly new guys but I broke it down the way you did in FIGHT, so yeah I feel i learned a lot from you that day

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

I am both humbled and honored thank you Mike, I appreciate the kind words.

Private lessons are great, but as someone else said, you need a specific goal in mind. A less desirable goal would be “Make me able to defend myself.” A better goal would be to ask your intended instructor what they think you need to improve in order to defend yourself and work from there. I paid for a private lesson on the Muay Thai Clinch once, and did about an hour of talking to the instructor before scheduling. I just wanted to learn the clinch; he was trying to tailor the session to me and pushed me for what I intended to do with what he was teaching. Turned out I was interested in trips, throws and setting up for trips and throws with knees. I didn’t realize that myself until he pushed me for information.

charlie1

I just took a private 1 hour lesson to get ready for the level 1 test in a few weeks. It was definitely worthwhile and very thorough. It not only showed me how much I’ve learned over the last five months, but I think it also helped me improve and sharpen my skills in many areas. Thank you for everyone who recommended it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: