Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Private lessons question

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    rbsc

Hello all. New to the forum and to Krav. I have a bit of a tough schedule and am trying to figure out how to make it work with Krav lessons.

The local Muay Thai lessons really fit my schedule better, but I’m more interested in Krav. The only way I can make the Krav classes fit my schedule, though, is to take private lessons. They’re not cheap, so I’d probably only spring for about three classes per month (one hour each), maybe four classes some months.

I know that this is far less than and ideal amount of classes, but was wondering if the one on one aspect might help make up for the lack of volume.

So, does anyone have any thoughts on this? Obviously, I would also commit to training at home several days per week, but wasn’t sure how much that would add. Would appreciate any thoughts you might have.

Thanks.

kmyoshi

Re: Private lessons question

Hey rbsc, welcome to the forums. I’ve never attended any private lessons per se but I have attended classes where it was just me and another student and the instructor. It was a great class because the instructor’s attention was just on the two of us so we were able to work on perfecting the techniques being taught. I feel that you would get valuable training time with private lessons as long as you get a good instructor.

krav-math

I agree with KMyoshi.

I have had private trainings and I have always felt I’ve learned more in a shorter time than I would in a class of 20-45 people.

Do you have any friends or a wife/husband that you could train at home with? Maybe another classmate that needs extra training too?

The Muay Thai lessons will help with your combatives at least (among other things) . . . you just need another person that will allow you to perform the necessary number of repetitions for the self-defense techniques you learn in class/privates.

jacgue36

An actual partner is great but a mirror will do in a pinch. I’ve spent many an hour in front of mine!! It also allows you to see what you need to clean up.

mara-jade

If you can spare the lessons and if you can’t find a partner to train with outside of class, private lessons help. Hubby and I used it a few times when we tested for our level 2 and level 3 tests.thumbsup

rbsc

Thanks for the replies, guys. It sounds like it might be worth a shot, even if it is less than ideal. Thanks again for the help!

lions2011

What do krav privates even cost per hour??

Private lessons are expensive!!
    Tennis can be 50-100 dollars per hour. Golf can be up to 100 an hour. Skiing can be like 200 per 90 min or something.
    I think the Gracies charges like 300 per hour or something lol. For BJJ
    My Kru in Muay Thai is like 80 per hour.
    Expensive.

kevinmack

I charge $120 an hour with discounts if you buy packages of five or ten sessions. Thats at my gym. If lessons are held at someones home or work there may be a travel fee added.
    Remember you are not just paying an instructor for his time to teach you details but you are also making him work out for an hour as your training partner. If he does multiple sessions in a day plus group classes your instructor could spend hours working out,straining his body,etc.
    I know of another instructor who charges $650 an hour so its all relative.

lions2011

How many lessons do you do on average per week.

I wonder how much Ashton Kut. Paid for his lessons at the Santa Monica location in Krav Maga. He did dozens of months of privates. Now it appears he is doing BJJ privates.

Well he can afford it.

Yes good point. the wear and tear on your body adds up.

I used to do some private lessons in Boxing and Tennis.

anddrrival

It’s good to learn all the lessons in the class but private classes are also very helpful for it.

rickprado

Some people might say 120.00 an hour for a private session is a lot, but in Kevins case, you get all of his shared experience with some of the KM pioneers. That experience doesn’t come cheap!

I would think, if you came with a partner, you could get a better hourly rate since it would be divided by 2 people.

To put it in perspective, I heard pilates was a good way of dealing with muscle imbalances. I went to a group class and got nothing out of it, spending 25.00 for an hour.

A friend told me about another pilates place and how the instructor was a physical therapist as well. I signed up for privates. After 3 1 hour sessions, my leg/lower back pain has diminished by 75%. Hell yes it’s worth the 85.00 an hour.

pinkgloves

Nothing beats working with someone with a diverse background who knows their stuff. However, if price is an issue and you’re just looking for help with the basics (as it seems the original poster is) then consider taking lessons from a L1 or L2 certified instructor. We’re cheaper (I charge a venti, white chocolate mocha for two hours.), and it helps us as much as it helps you.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: