Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    nixxon

Re: Protecting the groin

quote CJs Dad:

I think he means the plucking defense on page 118 of Complete KM

Correct. My instructor has always called it “rowing” so thats what I refer to it as.

simon

quote Nixxon:

Correct. My instructor has always called it “rowing” so thats what I refer to it as.

Some of the slang terms always crack me up

ìstir the potî (hook punchs)
    ìswat the flyî (gun to the side of the head)
    “dust your butt” (gun fron the back)
    ìcatch the grounderî (another gun technique)
    ìpez candy dispenserî (finger under nose, tilt the head back)
    ìbird feederî (bend at waste during headlock from the side)

LOL I think this could be itís own thread!

gp

quote Nixxon:

Crossing your legs over each other to protect the ground? Bad move in my opinion. Why on earth would I want to balance on one leg and then twist on it while swinging my shin to deflect a kick? I think the defence your thinking of is against a round kick.

To all those who have the “don’t drop your hands” mentality. I’m totally eye-to-eye with you on that one. However, your really not going to find anyone who is going to do a groin kick and then immedietly punch, especially if your using your hand (or hands) to control thier leg and sweep them off balance. Plus, whats keeping you from moving your body around or your head to avoid that perhaps awkward and powerless punch with thier leg in the air?

IMO best case scenero is you deflect with the hips, however in a instinctive reation I’m most likely dropping my hand or hands to deflect and control then leg and then burst in with a hammer, plam heel or punch to the throat, if not give them a knee to the groin while I still have control over that leg.

Its hard to explain on here, but if we were standing off I could show you what I mean.

No, I’ve seen this defense using the lead leg to block the groin strike. The variation is to drag the lead leg toes on the ground in until the knee crosses the center line to block the kick. I’ve used it and it’s not a problem for me.

My biggest problem with dropping hands is that you may set yourself up for a punch if the kick is the feint.

michaelmall

Nixxon I am not talking about some crazy crane kung fu
    I am talking about raising your knee up and about 5 inches at
    the most.I do know this if you drop your hands you will get hit.

the-hammer

I know the leg defense and it’s really just a small move, so it should work well. One possible risk could be that you might bang shins with your opponent (although that really shouldn’t be much of a factor if you are doing it right).

If you are in a fighting stance, then your hands would be up while defending with your leg, however, in a street situation, if you don’t expect the kick, it’s possible that your hands may be down initially (however, the defense would still work and hopefully you’d raise your arms up, immediately after making it).

Crossing the arms and scooting back the hips is probably the most instinctive motion you could make, especially if you saw the kick late and did not expect it. If you move in that fashion, your upper body will bend down and thus your arms will be crossed in front of your face, so they are not really “down”.

Then you will scoop the attacker’s leg past you while it’s still in the air and at that time he probably won’t be able to hit you with much power anyway. You’ll also move to the dead side, where he’ll have less weapons, and you’ll punch right after redirecting his leg, before it even hits the ground, so, all in all, this can be an effective defense, although a slightly more elaborate one than just lifting your leg up.

oneness

quote Nixxon:

To all those who have the “don’t drop your hands” mentality. I’m totally eye-to-eye with you on that one. However, your really not going to find anyone who is going to do a groin kick and then immedietly punch, especially if your using your hand (or hands) to control thier leg and sweep them off balance. Plus, whats keeping you from moving your body around or your head to avoid that perhaps awkward and powerless punch with thier leg in the air?

Nixxon – You are describing a superman punch. Now that MMA is more main stream it is a very popular strike. Done correctly, you will get knocked out or hit very hard. Youtube GSP vs Hughes II and you will see a great example. Dont ever defend with both hands down. One defending your face and one “plucking” is fine.

The shin deflect is also a great defense and can be used. its all timing and something you will have to work on. The best is to just spar with groin kicks and get used to recognizing the strikes. If you are getting hit alot then tell your partner to slow down and let you practice. start to figure out what comination they are throwing that is not letting you see the attack.

Work on it – visualize defending and train against it; that will improve your defense.

clfmak

I’ve done a good deal of southern kung fu (8 years), which is interesting because the structure is always designed to protect the groin, by being bladed or being in a stance where the lead leg can quickly check. One of the principles is that the lower body should defend itself, and the upper body should defend itself. You don’t reach down to block low kicks just like you don’t use leg checks to block punches. Some techniques used to protect the groin:
    -use a more direct front kick to their groin, which also covers you just in case if you do it right.
    -the inward shin check (quan geuk)- like someone mentioned it might be a bad idea to pick up one leg and cross your centerline with it, but it protects your groin and sets up a side kick.
    -use the inside edge of the shoe to jam the shin of the kicker (the outside is an option if you’re really bladed, but I’m not a big fan)
    -jam the attack.
    Using the legs allows you to keep your hands up, and possibly counter simultaneously. Here’s a good example:

http://www.mma-video.com/mma/karate_bunkai/Mawashi%20empi%20bunkai.mpeg
    Note the second application.

clfmak

My link didn’t work- here’s one. Look at the mawashi empi application:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nlq6sxaiSI

unstpabl1

Good vid C

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: