Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums KM Techniques & Krav Maga Books Protection possible against large groups?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    mh77

I am very much new to this forum, and new to Krav Maga. I had heard of it before, but I saw something today that has triggered me to learn more about Krav Maga, as a very ‘real world’ and practical type of self defense. I would like to get your opinions on what I saw, because I wonder at what point you could say that it was impossible to prevent a confrontation and/or protect yourself from a certain size group.

The movie I saw was captured on CCTV in the Netherlands: a 22 year old boy is attacked by a group of 8 attackers, although only 3 of them participate in the fight. A 4th hesitates but does not go through with it. The boy first takes several punches to his head, then several severe kicks to the head.

http://www.geenstijl.nl/mt/archieven/2013/01/teringtiefustuigh_sloopt_jonge.html

Of course one can only guess what would have happened if the boy would have had the time to react, and/or had seen the confrontation coming. We don’t know if the rest of the group would have joined in or not for instance.

Does Krav Maga offer techniques specifically to deal with these types of situations? And realisticly, are there any good outcomes for someone who faces a group of this size?

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Re: Protection possible against large groups?

Absolutely! It’s a multiple attacker scenario one thats practiced on a regular basis where I train. Keeping in mind you’re only going to be as good as your stamina/cardio will allow.

With an unlimited source of gas in the tank one could in theory go on indefinitely.

kmyoshi

We train for these types of circumstances regularly but these types of situations are not something you’d like to find yourself in. A good technique that comes to mind is called “stacking” which is putting one attacker/assailant between you and other attackers. This makes it more difficult for the others to attack you simultaneously.

mh77

I think I’ve seen some videos of the technique you mention KMyoshi, and looking at them I definitely understand CJs Dad’s reply, it does look like stamina/cardio is a requirement if you’re going to keep this up. Thanks for your responses so far!

wds2

quote KMyoshi:

We train for these types of circumstances regularly but these types of situations are not something you’d like to find yourself in. A good technique that comes to mind is called “stacking” which is putting one attacker/assailant between you and other attackers. This makes it more difficult for the others to attack you simultaneously.

We do a stacking drill as well. Two on one with the goal to keep one of the attackers in between you and the other for the duration, in a limited space.
    Great drill for quickness and stamina.

splatcat

quote KMyoshi:

Yeah, same here. I’ve definitely improved my skill in that regard, but always figured that it’s one thing I don’t want to experience in a real situation…

moni

Where I train we do mayhem drills (I think they are referred to as Balaga (spelling??)). In these drills the class, ~25 people, walk around pretending we are at a crowded place for example a busy market place. Some people have practice knives (it is especially more fun when the instructor secretly hands these out to people so you will be walking around then out of no where BAM a knife), others with kick shields etc. You will be walking with your hands down by your sides (as if you are at a market), minding your own business then out of no where, the person standing next to you will attack you (either engage you with a shield, threaten you with a knife, choke you, try to punch you). You will then have to deal with the attack. At the same time, others will come to you and try to attack you whilst you are defending against the first attacker. If I remember correctly we started doing these drills on our first night (obviously we have built up over the last two months what attacks attackers are allowed to do).

moni

Sorry for the double post, I can’t edit my post.

We also do a short drill where you are in a group of four where you number yourselves off 1-4. We cycle through the numbers with rolling changes which makes it more fun. For example, say you are number 2. You could be in number 1’s face attacking them with person 3 and 4 behind you or beside you trying to attack number 1. Suddenly the instructor yells SWITCH. You could now be in the middle of all the others and have to defend and fight your way out of the middle to a good vantage point to defend.

It is loads of fun, I love it!

don’t have any idea about you question…!
    Currently I just know the Kung-Fu and the little bit about wing-chun, also know little bit about the karate but not sure about the krav maga…!
    I also want to learn this kind of self defence techniques for my interest… any couch you know about for the karv maga, you may tell me about him…!!!

don

quote tobey_maguire:

… any couch you know about for the karv maga, you may tell me about him…!!!

Are you looking for a standard, sectional, futon, sleeper… ?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: