Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    jusjay

I am not in a km class right now, but practicing with my husband at home. We have already kneed each other and are not really able to see what we can do for having to hold back to keep from hurting each other. So its time to get some kind of gear. I wanted to see if there are certain kinds of groin and face protection that is used . I went to Dick’s sporting goods today and didnt really see what I wanted. i am thinking that something with foam material like a boxing glove is what I want instead of hard groin cup or face sheild. Or is that what everyone else uses and just wears gloves? That does not seem very realistic. For the one who is practicing being the victim anyway. I dont want to be wearing gloves because I wont be in real life. SO if you can tell me what some of you do. I suppose it would vary from school to school…but let me know! Thanks

clfmak

In my experience, I have not seen any lightweight, flexible protection that will totally protect the groin. Groin protection helps, but a hard knee to the groin will still hurt.
    Face protection- there are all kinde of headgear, but sot headgear will not stop a knee to the face. I would say that you should get some gear, but don’t go all out and knee each other in the groin with knees, kick each other in the neck, stomp each other out, etc.

jusjay

We have been trying to be careful…but we have to do everything in slow motion to be sure we dont strike or knee too hard….so thats not really realistic is it? i mean if we cant practice them fast then its hard to know how effective we will be in a real situation. How do you guys do it in training drills?

emil

justjay, i am only aware of two places that make gear for full contact knees to the head and groin-there are the bulletmen suits made for adrenal training and the tony blauer suits. both of those are extremely expensive and bulky. consider these options: continue to practice slow, and invest in some striking pads that you can hit full force. or get some quality fight gear designed for boxing or Muay Thai. however, even with that you have \”pull\” some power on knees and elbows. otherwise your practice will be very infrequent due to concussions and other injuries. furthermore, it’s not just being able to hit hard, it’s hitting when it counts. so work more on taking your partner off balance,being undpredictable, \”invading\” his space, making him uncomfortable and unable to attack you, work on your ranges and finding appropriate exit strategies. you can do all these things full power while being safe.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: