Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Pulled Groin ^%#&*!@$($#!!!!!!!!!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    guitarded-1

So I am in my 2nd week of Krav, and due to having two amazing instructors, I’m positively addicted. So yesterday I hydrate well, get to class early, do some stretches, and all seems fine. We line up and then step outside for a run. On the first step of running (a completely normal step)…BAM…my inside thigh is killing me. I suck it up and train 100%.

Today, it’s clear that I pulled my groin muscle. I think that it’s not the most severe case, but it feels pretty problematic. Common wisdom says to stop training for a while, but I seriously can’t bear the thought. What pisses me off is that this happened for no good reason (that I can tell). In fact, it’s entirely possible that I actually injured it from my stretching before the warm up.

No real point here, other than I’m going to go crazy if I can’t get back to training soon. I’ll lay out for 3-4 days and then see how it goes. There’s a lesson in here somewhere, but I don’t know what it is yet. :confused:

nauticus

Re: Pulled Groin ^%#&*!@$($#!!!!!!!!!

The lesson is that you were either stretching incorrectly, or you weren’t in good enough shape to go as “hard” as you did. I hope you recover quickly!

kirsten

quote guitarded_1:

There’s a lesson in here somewhere, but I don’t know what it is yet. :confused:

The lesson is, warm up the joints before class then do some light activity, start to sweat then stretch a little before class. Its the pre-class warm up.. 🙂

I hope you feel better soon.

OUCH!!! Sorry to hear this & hope you have a speedy recovery. I would agree with Kirsten.

rfc

Guitarded_1,

This is a subject I have all too much experience with. Please see this thread which chronicles the events…

http://kmforum.kravmaga.com/showthread.php?t=3669

In a nutshell, groin pulls can be really nasty and I suggest you take care of it right off the bat. A pull can lead to other forms of tendonitis if not taken care of properly. In my case, the pull/damage occurred where the tendon attaches to the pubic bone. Other tendons attach in that area and the inflammation can spread all over the place due to decreased blood flow from the initial inflammation. I didn’t take care of it in the beginning and trust me, it was no fun having intense, radiating pain in groin area.

You will need rest, anti-inflammatories, heat and cold packs and most important, frequent stretching and massage. Stretching should start out lightly and then build-up to deep stretches. Hold the stretechs for 20 seconds. It must be done 3 times a day (do both legs to even things out) for 10 mins each time.

Massage is absolutely necessary. Press deeply length-wise on the adductor muscle all the way from your crotch down to your knee then back again. Also, press and massage with your fingers deeply into the ligament with a circular motion. This increases blood circulation and breaks down the collagen scar tissue that naturally forms around the area where the damage occurred.

FWIW:

Till this day, I have occasional tenderness especially when doing guard position but, strength is 100%. I will always need to do my stretching and resistive (rubber tube) exercises but, on a positive note, flexibility is better than ever and I can slap kick much better than most due to the increased flexibility.

Pay now or pay later… Hint: Pay now.

Ray

guitarded-1

quote RFC:

Guitarded_1,

This is a subject I have all too much experience with. Please see this thread which chronicles the events…

http://kmforum.kravmaga.com/showthread.php?t=3669

In a nutshell, groin pulls can be really nasty and I suggest you take care of it right off the bat. A pull can lead to other forms of tendonitis if not taken care of properly. In my case, the pull/damage occurred where the tendon attaches to the pubic bone. Other tendons attach in that area and the inflammation can spread all over the place due to decreased blood flow from the initial inflammation. I didn’t take care of it in the beginning and trust me, it was no fun having intense, radiating pain in groin area.

You will need rest, anti-inflammatories, heat and cold packs and most important, frequent stretching and massage. Stretching should start out lightly and then build-up to deep stretches. Hold the stretechs for 20 seconds. It must be done 3 times a day (do both legs to even things out) for 10 mins each time.

Massage is absolutely necessary. Press deeply length-wise on the adductor muscle all the way from your crotch down to your knee then back again. Also, press and massage with your fingers deeply into the ligament with a circular motion. This increases blood circulation and breaks down the collagen scar tissue that naturally forms around the area where the damage occurred.

FWIW:

Till this day, I have occasional tenderness especially when doing guard position but, strength is 100%. I will always need to do my stretching and resistive (rubber tube) exercises but, on a positive note, flexibility is better than ever and I can slap kick much better than most due to the increased flexibility.

Pay now or pay later… Hint: Pay now.

Ray

Thanks, Ray. I appreciate the input. As I suspected, I think that my pull was pretty minor…but I don’t want to assume too much at this point. 5 days later, I have zero pain or discomfort. Granted, the muscle still feels a little tight, but seems to loosen every day. I have been to the gym a few times and have done an assload of cardio on the bike and stairmaster with no problems whatsoever. Granted, I haven’t done any complex movements to really test it out. Nevertheless, my body isn’t giving me any warning signs.

I’m going to Krav tomorrow afternoon and we’ll see what happens. I plan on being really careful with it. If I had any pain or discomfort whatsoever, I would lay off the Krav, but all signs point to it being okay. I’ll post an update soon.

Steve

rfc

Glad to hear it and I wish you the best… If you get into that cycle where it’s OK for a couple days then, gets irritated when you do Krav, watch-out. That’s how mine got out of control. As it healed, I could jog and do elliptical but, lateral motion and kicking was a real trigger…

Sorry for my previous long rant but, I would only wish this on my worst enemy. This is the kind of thing that benches professional athletes for months… Surgical procedures to fix this are “iffy” and often not successful. [Imagine getting a cortisone shot that close to the groin… Yikes!].

Later…

quote guitarded_1:

Thanks, Ray. I appreciate the input. As I suspected, I think that my pull was pretty minor…but I don’t want to assume too much at this point. 5 days later, I have zero pain or discomfort. Granted, the muscle still feels a little tight, but seems to loosen every day. I have been to the gym a few times and have done an assload of cardio on the bike and stairmaster with no problems whatsoever. Granted, I haven’t done any complex movements to really test it out. Nevertheless, my body isn’t giving me any warning signs.

I’m going to Krav tomorrow afternoon and we’ll see what happens. I plan on being really careful with it. If I had any pain or discomfort whatsoever, I would lay off the Krav, but all signs point to it being okay. I’ll post an update soon.

Steve

guitarded-1

quote RFC:

Glad to hear it and I wish you the best… If you get into that cycle where it’s OK for a couple days then, gets irritated when you do Krav, watch-out. That’s how mine got out of control. As it healed, I could jog and do elliptical but, lateral motion and kicking was a real trigger…

Sorry for my previous long rant but, I would only wish this on my worst enemy. This is the kind of thing that benches professional athletes for months… Surgical procedures to fix this are “iffy” and often not successful. [Imagine getting a cortisone shot that close to the groin… Yikes!].

Later…

It’s all good. I need to hear the straight dope. I’m looking at tomorrow as a way to test the waters. If it flares up, then I plan on backing way off and getting real serious about it. Thanks again.

tko99

does Yoga help??? Should I start doing it or should I wait until all the pain is one?

We actually started off with kicks before we stretched and resumed back to kicks (I think the instructor forgot initially b/c our class was extremely huge).
    Lesson of the day: stretch on your own before class

rfc

Yoga would probably help -and the people taking yoga classes don’t sweat as much as we do…

You need to do deep massages on the adductor muscle, combined with stretches. When you stretch, warm-up a little first. Current wisdom says stretches should be held for at least 30 seconds to do any good and you have to repeat them a few times. Do it a few times a day.

If there is pain, don’t do krav and stick with the massage and stretching. Advil/Ibuprophen for a few days will help too. Start-up slowly and listen to what your body tells you.

Don’t let it get out of control or, you’ll be looking at a 3 month (or longer) recovery.

unstpabl1

quote RFC:

Yoga would probably help -and the people taking yoga classes don’t sweat as much as we do….

Thats not necessarily true…check out Birkims yoga which is done at 100degrees and power yoga class can be very sweat worthy. Its not the cardio, but the breath work that gets you thumping

Check out YRG…Yoga For Regular Guys..google it..By Diamond Dallas Page..yeah the rassler..good stuff and a lot of online support..it’ll help your krav..alot of times we see training as strength or endurance and forget that toughness includes flexibility and resilency

Ever consider that your pull had nothing to do with improper warm up, but doing too much too soon….body needed time between w/o’s. Just food for thought…many top conditioning coaches don’t stretch till after a workout,,,start slow, its a marathon, not a race

be well

bradm

unstpabl1,
    You took the words right out of my mouth. I was going to mention the “Hot Yoga” you spoke of. I haven’t done it, but know of some who have. They have told me that they are totally spent at the end of class.

unstpabl1

quote BradM:

unstpabl1,
    You took the words right out of my mouth. I was going to mention the “Hot Yoga” you spoke of. I haven’t done it, but know of some who have. They have told me that they are totally spent at the end of class.

Us older guys think goodrofl2that YRG is worth looking into as it has 20,30,45 minute routines. yoga is solid work, but I didn’t realize its need till I turned 50

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: