Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Pushing or snapping punches in Krav?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    magpie

Which type of punch should I try to develop in my KM training? I’ve had instructors who urge students to make each punch a “pushing” or knockout punch, where one punches ‘through’ the target. Then I’ve had other instructors who extol the virtues of the ‘snapping’ punch as used in boxing.

Would love to hear others’ .02…:confused:

lennykravist

Re: Pushing or snapping punches in Krav?

My understanding is a “pushing” or knockout punch and a punching through target are one and the same. As far as a “snap” jab, that seems more a peppering punch, which seems against all Krav teaches (go hard, fast and brutal).

pstrauss

A “Snap Punch” is not a jab. If done right the hit is just as hard as a “Push Punch” but the opponent does not fly away allowing you to continue attacking them.

An example is if you stack multiple bricks spaced by 1/4″wood spacers you use a “Push punch” to break the bricks on the bottom. If you hang a 1″ pine board on the corners with string, using a “Snap punch” breaks the board into two and the board swings sideways, not backwards.

Trust me a “Snap punch” to the head can knock someone out or double them over with a punch to the solar plexus.

magpie

Yes, pstrauss…that’s what I was referring to. I can certainly appreciate the theory of punching ‘through’ the target, but I’m finding that I tend to not recoil my punch as quickly when I do that.

I guess I need to find a happy medium between the two types of punches. Been doing a bit of online research lately into the topic, which has unearthed some pretty helpful training tips and visualization techniques.

doublestrike

Hi Magpie –

Your question is an important one and has been brought up many times amongst my KM peers most often in Level 1 and more so from people who have prior boxing / martial arts experience.

My opinion is that the foundation of KM is self defense and to inflict as much damage as possible when striking. With that being said, I adhere to the school of punching through your target w/ full power vs. the flicking / peppering jab-like strikes. The theory behind this is that you may only have *ONE* punch available to strike your opponent. You should make each and every strike a finishing strike.

A fast peppering jab has its use in sparring and boxing, but would you choose to dance around your attacker for a few rounds? Or would you rather throw 1-2 punches w/ full power and end it the situation without any doubt? I bet 10 out of 10 people would choose the latter.

Please note that it is possible to throw a full power punch *AND* have a fast recoil. But one should first try and develop power and aggression first and then factor in the speed. You certainly don’t want to throw a punch and leave your arm hanging out there for your opponent to grab, etc.

As for the pushing punch comment, I don’t agree w/ this technique. To me, if you’re having to push your punch, then you’re already in close range and the situation is better suited for an elbow strike.

catapult

It seems to me that people are getting hung up on semantics. Different people mean different things by pushing and snapping. Some will call a slow, pawing punch a push and a crisp punch with lots of power a snapping punch. Others call a powerful punch through the target a push and a light flicking one a snap. Regardless of the words they use, I’ll bet all your instructors are telling you to punch the same way — punch friggin’ HARD.

catapult

But let’s not forget CJs Dad’s sage advice about learning to punch.

quote CJs Dad:

Theres a running joke with my students, I have a mantra with combatives.

“Slow is smooth, smooth is accurate, accurate is deadly”

I don’t train to be fast, I train to be accurate, speed and power is just a side effect of perfect technique.

kmyoshi

I’ve had instructors tell me to punch “through” the target, but don’t “push” the target. Similar to how a shove works, a shove doesn’t hurt. It might jolt you a little or make you off balance but it doesn’t hurt. Whereas a “snapping” punch, the receiver feels the point of impact and it goes through them.

kmman

A pushing punch will know someone back while a snapping punch can drop them straight down.

One of the first things a boxing coach will pick up on when someone starts hitting the heavy bag is they are pushing.

Many advocate pushing through but only using a 2 inch penetration. This allows for the snap and getting the most power.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: