Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Question about becoming fluent in Krav…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    guitarded-1

So I’m about 3-4 weeks into Krav, and I love it. My instructors are fantastic. Many of these techniques taught, although incredibly effective, obviously take hundreds (if not more) of repetitions to to develop muscle memory and the “auto pilot” mindset.

I attend Krav 3-4 times a week. While I would love to study outside of class, it’s just not an option. So as these techniques are flying by each class, I wonder:

How long does it take to become reasonably fluent in Krav technique(choke defenses, gun defenses, etc)? When I say fluent, I mean in a real life situation and not the class room. I know it differs from person to person, but I’m looking to get an idea of how long it takes to really get these techniques burned into the brain and ready to use when faced with a full adrenaline dump.

Discuss.

don

Re: Question about becoming fluent in Krav…

quote guitarded_1:

So I’m about 3-4 weeks into Krav, and I love it. My instructors are fantastic. Many of these techniques taught, although incredibly effective, obviously take hundreds (if not more) of repetitions to to develop muscle memory and the “auto pilot” mindset.

I attend Krav 3-4 times a week. While I would love to study outside of class, it’s just not an option. So as these techniques are flying by each class, I wonder:

How long does it take to become reasonably fluent in Krav technique(choke defenses, gun defenses, etc)? When I say fluent, I mean in a real life situation and not the class room. I know it differs from person to person, but I’m looking to get an idea of how long it takes to really get these techniques burned into the brain and ready to use when faced with a full adrenaline dump.

Discuss.

Like you said – it’s case by case. There is no magic time frame. All else being equal, the more you do it, the better you’ll get at it.

kirsten

You don’t have to take classes to work on techniques. Pick a defense or a combative and randomly work it throughout the day by yourself with a “pretend” attacker. Work 360 defenses with counters, choke defenses, gun defenses- whatever. You will gain wonderful training from this and build muscle memory. Its like breaking leather at the beginning of every shift to work your gun draw and holstering… You don’t need to be on the gun range to build a solid foundation.

quote guitarded_1:

I would heed the all the suggestions from Kirsten about practicing on your own doing ‘dry drills’ – this will make a difference.

Also to remember the small details – it can help to keep a KM ‘diary’ and write down the lesson material & technique components after each class.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: