Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Question about bruising

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Re: Question about bruising

I routinely ask my partners to make sure they hit me harder (with the exception of kidney, throat and nose smacks). I get them to up the force of the hits until I get to the level where it really may leave me breathless or stunned. I’ve found by doing so I can sort of acclimate myself to getting socked. The one that I still have issues with are accidental hits to the temple. I still see stars. HA!
    Oh, and I don’t let anyone kick me too hard in the knees. That could cripple me, especially with some of the MT and MMA guys.

sues

Thank you for all of your replies!

quote smokelaw1:

I used to bruise really badly, too. Eventually, it just stopped. I don’t know if it’s “conditioning” or what…but now I only bruise if we really REALLY beat on each other for a long time, and they are more “normal” bruises not “Holy crap, honey, what happened to your arms” bruises.

… LOL, the “Holy crap” is exactly what I got this time. I thought about it last night, and I hit my partners wrist a couple of times (missed the focus pads) and that’s what probably gave me the “Holy crap” bruises.

I’m here to learn to defend myself and I have no problem with getting hurt while doing it.

Thanks again everyone.

ctkravist

I have to agree with Smokelaw’s theory in that they tend to stop occuring after time*

*reminds self to hit smokelaw extra hard on the forearms and shins next time I can get a Wednesday night babysitter – just to retest this theoryrofl2

smokelaw1

quote CTKravist:

I have to agree with Smokelaw’s theory in that they tend to stop occuring after time*

*reminds self to hit smokelaw extra hard on the forearms and shins next time I can get a Wednesday night babysitter – just to retest this theoryrofl2

I do think that it i spartially learnig how to give/take shots properly…otherwise I don’t knwo why they would stop…I just know that they seem to have for me.

Hey, Andy…anytime baby. Will we see you saturday morning?

ctkravist

quote smokelaw1:

I do think that it i spartially learnig how to give/take shots properly…otherwise I don’t knwo why they would stop…I just know that they seem to have for me.

Hey, Andy…anytime baby. Will we see you saturday morning?

Hi Josh,

I really hope so. The wife is home so maybe I can pursuade her to let me come out to play for an hour or so. I gotta admit (in a manly way of course) that I do miss you night guys!

Andy

clfmak

I sometimes use dit da jow, but I have also found that I don’t really bruise as much and I’m not sure why. Anyway, various liniments are used for bruising in martial arts. Muay thai has its own liniment. Kung fu has dit da jow. In the Phillipines, they have a liniment called monkey guts liniment (named so because the herbs suspended in the alcohol look like monkey guts). I’ve read about liniments used in bareknuckle boxing, using such things as alcohol and brine. Its worth noting that at least part of the positive effects come from massaging in the liquid. In hilot (filipino healing method), massage is at least as important as the liniments. Also, an iron palm guy I talk to who can break all kinds of crazy stuff was telling me the jow he uses is wine based, while most others use a much harder alcohol. As I suspected, the higher water content makes it so it doesn’t evaporate as fast, forcing you to take extra time to massage it in.

susie

360 defenses causes bruising, its gonna happen. Good news is it will clue you in to if you are doing them right 🙂 If they are too high, if you arm is too far rolled over, etc. Your bruises are a road map to training. Look at them carefully, they will let you know how you are doing.

A short story – just to let you know you are not alone – I get it I really do.

I went to the ER after my level one test to find out I had fractured two ribs during a drill.
    When The Dr came in to examine me I had 2 fractured ribs, by elbows were a mess from elbow defenses, my forearms resembled aged steaks more than human skin tone. My shins and knees were a mess and a caught a few knees to my thigh so I had a few pretty changes in color there as well.

The Dr. Looked at me and as calmly as she could said “Can I get you a counselor?” I said “No, I need a Doctor, my ribs hurt a lot.” She then said, I’ll help you, I am a doctor, but I can get you more help, I can send a counselor in, we can get phone numbers for you if thats better.”

I was completely perplexed. I said I didn’t want to call a counselor, I needed a doctor, my ribs hurt. Then I realized, the Doctor thought I was a victim. I had to clarify that I had taken Krav.

I joked that I took a self defense class – evidently I wasn’t too good LOL. I ended up in the ER. I don’t know if the Doctor ever believed me, she told me to take time of from class, but said it sarcastically and handed me a note and a Rx for vicadin.

I went on my merry way, knowing that if I made it through my level one test with 2 fractured ribs, I could face an attacker and keep fighting. It doesn’t matter what the Doctor or anyone in that ER thought. It was good for me to go through. I am stronger for it. (And I passed my level one test despite the ribs!)

Hang tough and enjoy the learning process.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: