Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    seeq-qc

Hello all!
    I was doing my Complete KM book exercises at home and i came across an issue related to movement and i really hope i can communicate the scenario clearly and get some ideas.

From the combat ready position with the right leg back if i wanted to move to the rear i would move the right leg first and if i wanted to move forward i would initiate with the left leg that would be in the forward position – the key being moving the leg that is in the direction of my planned move.

My question is if i wanted to move diagonally forward, for instance diagonally to the right but forward, would i begin with the forward leg which would be on my left and would necessitate a “crossover left over right” type move or the rear leg which would be on the right side and then I would not be leading with the forward leg as is customary? :confused:

I hope you could all follow that. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

CQC

kevin-mack

Re: Question about footwork

you would step fowardand out to 2 o clock with your rear foot…as if you were using an inside defense with a counterstrike. A fundamental rule of fighting is to never cross your legs.
    Your footwork should be mainly foward and lateral with quarter turns(tai sabaki) to open up angles.The movement you decsribed should be used in the way I described.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

To further illustrate what Kevin is saying;

Bursting forward would be to the 12:00 position

Bursting to the forward right would be to the 1:00 position.

Your lead foot in this case your left would move to the 1:00 position your back would follow in a traditional “step/step” you then placing your weight on the lead foot (left) pivot counter clock wise readdressing the opponent.

A basic scenario would be as Kev described, a lead hand left punch is coming in, with your right hand you execute inside defense while possibly countering with your left punching to his face area. Simultaneously your bursting with the aforementioned footwork which would put you on the dead side of your attacker.

Hope this helped.

prekarious1

The way it was drilled into me when I started kickboxing:
    Have a friend watch as you do it, have him call out directions for you to move. He can push you as your are moving.
    If you cross your feet while moving you will notice very quickly that you are not only worse off balance but that you don’t have the time it normally takes to recover.

seeq-qc

Thanks all! Great responses!!

Appears that I’ve got some differing points of view on this. Let see if we can get a little consensus going.

There is no dispute that the diagonal move that i am asking about requires a more lateral movement with a pivot toward the target. Understood. So do I start this move with the left/front or right/rear foot because my reading of the proceeding posts sounds like i’ve got votes both.

Thanks again guys!

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Technically you could do either, in fact theres a myriad of things you could do moving to your right side direction.

However to answer your original question as I understand it “move forward diagonally to the right” you would shift your weight to the back foot, pick up your left foot first and move it off center to the right then follow with your right behind it. That is a diagonal right side burst, landing you to the deadside of your opponent.

Keeping in mind I actually teach intro fight class a few times a week with the emphasis on footwork in just about every class as part of the warm up. 🙂

kevin-mack

i think the question needs to be a little clearer in regards to context

seeq-qc

Actually, i think i’ve been able to discern the answer to my question. Thanks for the assistance!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: