Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums KM Techniques & Krav Maga Books question about gun defense

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    kravmaga-ism

ok guys, I’m still fairly new to KM and have yet to learn a gun defend, but after watching a ton of video clips on the subject I can’t help but wonder about the attacker pulling the trigger while the defend is doing his thing.

I saw couple of defense where the barrel of the gun is grabbed while a counter is applied to the attackers face, groin, etc. If I was the attacker and I see the counter coming, I would immediately start shooting (regardless of aim). The recoil of the semi-auto would surely loosen the grip the defender has on it. The only conclusion I came up with is that any gun technique needs to be applied quick enough so that the attacker does not have time to react to pulling the trigger. But we’re talking less than a second here.

Can someone enlighten this newb here? thanks!

jamesh-d30

In actuality, the gun defense is not racing the gunmans trigger finger speed, but the recognition that they should even pull the trigger. That, in conjunction with the actual decision making process and then the act of pulling the trigger usually ends up in the trigger not being pulled at all or well after a counter attack or two (it’s tested, constantly.)

Also, the recoil of even a .45 acp is a non issue (also tested, constantly), especially when you factor in the stress of a life and death struggle.

If you have a place where you can train in Krav Maga gun defenses with a qualified instructor, please ask them to show you how these apply.

kpalena

Because of the physics of the recoil, your grip should not be loosened. If the recoil is sufficient enough to break you grip, the gun will also be in a position that the attacker is going to heve one hell of a painful shot to the wrist. If it is a large caliber..like a 1911, you may cut the hell out of your hand when the sight hits your skin….but you will be alive.

mack

Re: question about gun defense

Also, a gun may malfunction after firing while gripped. You see, when you grip the gun and affect the slide from opening and shutting correctly, the empty cardridge may get stuck preventing a fresh bullet from entering the chamber.

This means the gun cannot be fired again (but still can be used as a striking weapon). So the looser grip becomes less relevant. Nevertheless, don¥t depend on it. 😀

BTW, i am talking about semi¥s of course, not revolvers etc.

blindfold

If you know enough about the techniques of the defenses and enough about firearms you will note that as your momentum brings you around you are probably not going to grab directly on top and not move backwards at all.

As said previously:

As you turn you will more than likely grab the slide and carry it back ever so slightly. This will in turn cause the gun to unlock the slide and the hammer may fall, but it probably won’t hit the firing pin at all. This would cause the gun not to fire. Now I wouldn’t recommend practicing this way.

Also, if the gun does fire with your hand on top. As stated before it will more than likely cause the gun to jam and not fire again. As well it may pinch or burn your hand. If you want to test that it burns find someone to touch one after shooting a few rounds and watch a slide slam forward on a hotdog or the palm of a hand and just think about the band-aids you’ll need. This will help to increase the severe beating for the injuries you have sustained.

chair

If you know of someone who shoots alot they can probably tell you stories of a firearm jamming because the bullet casing doesn’t seat correctly, feed problems, or the slide not cycling all the way back into locked position. They happen all the time. Your grab will more than likely cause one of these responses, but don’t plan on it.

If you watch in class some people will take away the gun and pretend to rack the slide back. This is to clear any jams that may have been caused and allow them to use the firearm themselves, if needed.

kmcat

Another thing to consider is the mental state of the attacker.

If the attacker is holding a gun to you, as opposed to just shooting you from 10 feet away with no warning, this means that the attacker wants something from you. Your wallet, your pin number for your ATM card, if the defender is a women a male attacker may be planning a sexual assault.

All that means the attacker is not thinking about shooting you. He is thinking about threatening you to intimidate you into doing what he wants. Thus you have that critical second to move the gun’s line of fire off you and counter.

Most of the gun defenses are assuming it is the situation described above. There is not as much you can do if the attacker just shoots you from beyond your reach with no warning.

paragon

quote blindfold:

If you watch in class some people will take away the gun and pretend to rack the slide back. This is to clear any jams that may have been caused and allow them to use the firearm themselves, if needed.

Yes, I have seen that in almost all the gun takeaways. For the non-gun people here, that manuever will clear most of the malfunctions, but not all. A double feed cannot be cleared this way, for example. If anyone is training to take away the gun and use it, I would suggest learning to shoot, at least learn the basics. Learn how to clear the malfunctions of a semi-automatic. Otherwise, remove the gun from the situation and beat the hell out of the guy. 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: