Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics question about training children

• This topic has 11 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 17 years ago by sip.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    jusjay

Heres a ? for those of you familiar with different types of training. I do not live where km is offered, so i will have to settle for something else for my children. Their ages are 8, 6 (and 3, but mostly its for the older two)…it will have to be something that is offered close to me like karate or taekwando …aikido? or hapkido??? i don t know …the question is which type is good for their ages and which will be similar to km for example teaching self defense and discipline, but not all the spiritual stuff that is often associated with martial arts.>?????
    thanks
    Jamie

sean-akrav

Aikido is good but may be too complicated for them to learn, perhaps? It takes a little while to become efficient in it. Good art though for sure.

Hapkido is good but from what I have heard it has not adapted to modern needs.

TKD is supposedly more of a sport art now then anything, however I can tell you my KM instructor did it for 12 years and can probably beat anyone up.

Maybe you can get some KM books/DVDs and learn it yourself and teach your kids?

anonymous

I hear Wing Chun is supposed to be similar, but I can’t be sure, because I haven’t studied it.

jusjay

I already have the dvds and i had been learning the techniques…but thats the whole point…i want them to learn in a group setting with other boys from someone who knows more than i do about how to train. The main reason i stopped training by dvd is because i dont feel it is as effective in my living room with children running around trying to mimic us without any order… I dont feel i can train myself much less the boys.. Any suggestions>?
    Jamie

garddawg

jusjay,
    Check out the article at the end of this link entittled \”Tell Your Kids it’s Okay to Fight\”. I believe the best training comes at home. It’s where you can best teach the mindset necessary to fight back.

http://www.brandxmartialarts.com/pdfs/BXKIDSCFNEWSfina11.pdf

This page has a few videos of us working with kids that you can adapt for home. Scroll down to CrossFit Kids Self Defense Videos.

http://crossfitkids.typepad.com/crossfitkids_videos/

klem2

For kids, I generally think any martial art is good in a physical sense. It will provide a great foundation for other arts as they get older. Strength, flexibility, balance, basic fundementals, the ability to learn in a class enviornement.

A little reasearch, watching a couple of classes, and talking to instructors, will tell you if the school is more focused on competitions, self-defenses, philosophy, conditioning, etc… As all are different based on the style, school, and instructor.

I have experience in Judo, Karate, boxing, and KM. I have some biases against Tar Kwon Do, but currently have my 7 year old son enrolled in a TKD school because I think the instructor is good at what he does, and for now, TKD serves my son’s needs.

As fas a self defense against adults. Unlike the movies, a 5 ytear old blackbelt would have difficulty from a technique stand point against a large adult male. The beneift from the training is in the childs confidence and attitude to become resistant. In fighting against other kids, hopefully that same confidence would keep some bullies at bay.

clfmak

I’ve heard and seen a lot of good results from teaching judo to kids. It should fit your needs well if you find a good instructor.

kravjeff

I have my boys (six and eight) enrolled in Premier Martial Arts, and provided the instructors are good (they’re awesome at our school) I’d highly recommend it.

PMA is a combination of traditional arts such as Karate and Kali, with kickboxing, groungfighting (submission grappling) and self defense as well. I think it’s a great mix for kids!!!

http://www.pmaschools.com

kravmdjeff

Sean, you’re lying. Your instructor is a wuss…I’ll fight him any day!!!

Seriously, having done a few different types of traditional martial arts, the effectiveness and quality really does come straight down to the instructor in question. There are great tae kwon do instructors, and there are horrible ones. There are great aikido, hapkido, jiu-jitsu, shotokan, kung-fu instructors who will teach them quality concepts, and there are those who won’t.

glenngordon

jusjay,

Exactly what martial art schools (types) are in your vicinity?

Glenn

jusjay

klem2- can you tell me why you feel biased against TKD?
    Thanks also gardawg for the links. I have been calling around and getting alot of answering machines but locally to me are mostly karate and TKD but so far not judo. There is one place that calls themselves a Self Defense Studio and say theyre the home of team mei kei or something. There machine has american girl but I have not talked to her personally. Do any of you feel that the training schools run by Asian people are more into the spirituality of it, or again, does it mostly depend on the instructor>?
    J

sip

TKD biases

I trained for quite a while in TKD, and I do not feel that it gives practical preparation for self defense in a violent confrontation. That said, it can be a fantastic art (provided there’s a quality instructor) for building confidence, coordination, balance, fitness and instilling good values. It emphasizes a lot of jumping and/or spinning kicks that look great and build a lot of coordination, speed, and balance. However, I would not advise using these techniques for serious self defense. Where I trained there wasn’t a lot of emphasis on philosophy/spirituality. I don’t think Asian instructors are automatically more likely to focus on philosophy. This has more to do with their style, how traditional their training was, and how closely they choose to hold to those traditional methods.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: