Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Question for everyone about kicking…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    vicious

Who here has thrown a kick in a \”real\” self-defense situation (or \”fight?\”)?

What type of kick did you throw? I’ve been in several \”fights,\” but i have never kicked anyone. i have used knees, but never a kick.

i believe it is because 98% of the situations i was in started at punch range. i am a HUGE advocate of Geoff Thompsonís fence which kept people at punch range, not kick range. When i haven’t used a fence it was because i was \”sucker punched\” and was always at a range where kicks were not effective.

So, who here has thrown kicks in \”real\” life, AND what kick was it?

… OK, i’ll even add who has even SEEN a kick in a real fight? I KNOW some of you have seen and probably used a kick in a fight. I just have not.

And i know i should count kicks to a downed opponent, but i’m not. i’m only referring to kicks executed while you and the other person were standing.

Thank you.

(Iím secretly hoping someone has used or seen a jump spinning back hook kick to the face 🙂 )

anonymous

Okay, I’ve never USED or SEEN a kick in a real fight, but I HEARD someone tell about using one once. Not sure if this counts, but here it goes anyway:

A friend of my mother’s is a BB in Karate. He’s mellowed down now, but he used to get into plenty of fights when he was young. One time, he practiced a high kick to the head for hours against the heavy bag, getting really good at it. Later that evening, he had an argument with another, bigger guy inside a bar. He decided to use the kick he had practiced so diligently against the bag and landed it perfectly, full speed and power, right on the guy’s temple.

Next thing he remembers is walking outside with two friends supporting him, not having the faintest idea of how he got there.

Shows things don’t always go well for the kicker… 😆

unstpabl1

I’ve used the Thai push kick twice, both at guys charging unexpectedly. One caught a guy so square and so perfect he still may be trying to catch his breath. Isaw a Thai kick as a response to a push that instantly ended the agression and probably resulted in knee surgery. I’ve also seen groin kicks work. I however think the most effective kicks are shin kicks and knee kicks. There outta most sight lines and tend to drop most people in there tracks. Steel toe boots add to the effect like brass knuckles for the feet.

Alot of SD guys recommend boxing and wrestling as the core systems to eliminate kicking as complicated. I think keeping it simple and ugly is probably the key. Though I am anything but an expert. These are thoughts based on working in bars

anonymous

Kicking the groin and shin could probably also work at closer distances.

I just thought of another kick story I’ve HEARD about (sorry!):

I remember Amir telling how he was once talking to some guys next to a stairwell and saw, with his peripheral vision, someone sneaking up to him from behind, ready to attack, figuring he didn’t see him. As soon as the attacker was close enough, Amir used a back kick, making the guy fly down the flight of stairs. As to the attacker’s injuries, Amir would just say that \”they caused a lot of problems\”. 😆 One of his legs is about as big as all of me, so I can certainly believe that. 8)

bradm

A few years ago a friend of mine told me how he used a front kick when he was attacked. He had left a grocery store with a bag of groceries, walking to his car. A guy approached him with a knife and demanded money. My friend said he said \”here\” and threw the bag of groceries towards the guy throwing him off guard and then immeadiately front kicked him in the stomach/solar plex area. The attacker fell to the ground gasping for air. My friend said he quickly picked up his bag of groceries, jumped in his car and drove off.

unstpabl1

Re:

quote \”BradM\:

A few years ago a friend of mine told me how he used a front kick when he was attacked. He had left a grocery store with a bag of groceries, walking to his car. A guy approached him with a knife and demanded money. My friend said he said \”here\” and threw the bag of groceries towards the guy throwing him off guard and then immeadiately front kicked him in the stomach/solar plex area. The attacker fell to the ground gasping for air. My friend said he quickly picked up his bag of groceries, jumped in his car and drove off.

I love stories like this 😆 I saw a story the other day about 3 guys who tried to rob some senior citizensh a knife. a 70 y/o man ended up killing his 20 something ass…er mugger. The old guy got him in a headlock

anonymous

I think the \”old guy\” was an ex-Marine. I bet Brad would have done the same thing… 🙂

unstpabl1

Re:

quote \”Giantkiller\:

I think the \”old guy\” was an ex-Marine. I bet Brad would have done the same thing… 🙂

Prekarious1 isn’t old, why are you calling him an old guy 😆 Oh you meant the 70 y/o

clfmak

I’ve seen several kicks thrown in fights. The one that I’ve seen work to best effect is a straight stomping motion to the stomach. It generally works like a push kick. I’ve also seen weak kicks to the legs thrown at diagonal upward angles in conjunction with a windmilling attack. In the only real fight I got into during highschool, I don’t remember what happened but I remember afterwards noticing that I had some bruises on my shins. I figure I caught some toe kicks, but I didn’t notice.

story from when I was in fifth grade: my friend Pat angered a guy in the grade above us. This kid was always in trouble for something. Anyway, this other kid kicked Pat in the face with a spinning outward crescent kick, dropping him to the ground. Somehow, the kick forced his upper lip underneath his metal retainer band. It looked pretty painful. The guy glared at me like he wanted to fight, and I started walking backwards.

groin kicks, nothing above the waist.

blindfold

I have personally used knee strikes to both extents. I crushed some guys knee from the side in a fight and I have used a knee strike when going for a kick a guy moved in too close for the kick. I kept my foot from extending for a round kick to the ribs and used the knee. I am a firm believer that if they can’t beathe or walk they can’t stop me from leaving.

jaeroo

PUSH KICK (FOOT JAB)

I’ve used it once in an altercation with someone I knew that kind of was pissed and tried to advance during a verbal confrontation. As I ordered him to back off (I was also in a bladed de-escalation stance) and told him I don’t want any trouble, I push kicked him once in the solar plexus and then told him that if he advances again, I’m gonna use something much worse than a push kick. After crumpling to the floor with the wind knocked off of his diaphragm, he angrily backed off and left to cool off. In case he called the cops, I had several in the house who witnessed it and agreed that I was the defender instead of the aggressor. He could be a jerk with anger issues sometimes. Luckily, no cops were called and he didn’t got seriously hurt. He apologized to me the next day and thanked me for showing restraint and he said he had no doubt that I could have destroyed him that day.

rattler

A few years ago a bigger, younger guy took a few swings at me. I used a right front kick to the groin which he blocked with his left hand. It must have hurt his hand because he didn’t use his left on me after that. I threw a combination of punches to his head and followed those up with a right round kick to his ribs. The wind rushing from his mouth almost knocked me over. A few more punches and a left front kick to the groin 😯 that connected and down he went. I was really pissed at this guy and seriously thought about continuing with a whole lot more kicks but I left. That would have been my chance to do some of those fancy spinning kicks but at the time I was an Orange Belt and didn’t really know how to do those very well.

clfmak

At the Pankration tournament over the weekend, I saw a thai boxer drop a guy with three fast rouundhouse kicks to the outside of the thigh. One of the guys from my school won a match by knocking the wind out of his opponent with a kne strike to the solar plexis. Another guy from my school knocked a guy on his ass with a side kick to the body. Another guy had his tibia snapped when he blocked a hard low kick with it, incapacitating him. Keep in mind this is a venue where a lot of people have the sole intention of rushing in for a takedown.
    But I suppose the question was regarding streetfights because they start inside kicking range. I would argue that the range can be so fluid that its really not too different.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: