Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Questions about Krav Maga

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    the-revenge

New guy here looking into Krav Maga. Finally have a place in town to go check it out.

I’m especially interested in the defense against weapons. Do you guys feel the techniques are realistically usable? In today’s age I just feel the likelihood of someone pulling something out in a situation is much greater than in the past.

How do you feel about KM overall?

Here’s me: Solid boxing background, a few years of BJJ, (not to sound like a tool) but can get very violent in a fight. I think that’s also one of the reasons I’m intrigued by KM. I’ve only seen videos of it up to this point. But over the years of fighting I’ve seen a real disconnect between sport martial arts and what really happens or works on the street. I’ve never used BJJ in a street fight, boxing, yes. KM appears to be a good tool to add to my bag, plus at 42 there’s no more rings or cages and hopefully no street fights for me.

Thanks

petervdberge

Re: Questions about Krav Maga

what i feel is that Krav Maga hes some solid techniques against knife or gun attacks, but what i always keep in mind, even IF you have mastered all the techniques. even IF you kan disarm someone in a snap, to me its also luck. the situation is just that unpredictable. thats why, when your at gunpoint, or threatened with a knife, you should avoid escalation at all cost, cause krav maga comes with no ensurance.
    But to respond to your question, i think krav maga has the/one of the most effective defense techniques against gun or knife threats. and if you are looking to teach yourself to defend against such an occasion, krav maga is the way to go for me.

With my experience in the Marine Corps Martial Arts Program, Krav Maga isn’t all that different, just a bit more accelerated. Pretty effective, but you have to have a survival mindset, not an ass-kicking one. The disarms work; if they’re very close to you. If they’re 3 feet away with a pistol pointed at you, there’s very little you can do, short of waiting for him/her to look away/become distracted, or come close enough to have the firearm redirected.

lions2011

Hello Revenge. The weapon stuff deals with guns, knives, long guns and some sticks.
    Their are several if not more defenses for guns and knives at the basic core level. At expert level their is probably a massive amount of stuff but I no where near there.
    Basic stuff.

Such as gun to the side of the head, front of head, behind, execution position on knees, in mount, behind arm, in front of arm to name some.

Knife such as overhead, upward, straight stab.

At my school you have to pass level 1 core program before they even allow you to partake in the weapon classes. Core level takes around 6 months.

As the previoius poster said. It is always best to never have to use them.
    I do think after several months of practice they would work but I never want to ever find out.

I have been doing weapons for 6 months now and would need another 6 months before I can say how confident I am. Right now I would say i am not.
    A krav brown or black belt would be able to have a great chance in coming out alive against a weapon. I am a green belt.

lions2011

Revenge, I never had any BJJ but I think one day it would be cool to learn the core stuff. In case some big thug takes me down. BJJ has proven itself as the most successful system in the UFC and I would love to learn how to properly learn a arm bar or kimura or triangle.

I have been doing Muay Thai the last 15 months and even through i am not good I have benefited greatly even at the basic level.

I agree combining a few systems is the best way to go.

kmyoshi

quote TacticalTimmy:

With my experience in the Marine Corps Martial Arts Program, Krav Maga isn’t all that different, just a bit more accelerated. Pretty effective, but you have to have a survival mindset, not an ass-kicking one. The disarms work; if they’re very close to you. If they’re 3 feet away with a pistol pointed at you, there’s very little you can do, short of waiting for him/her to look away/become distracted, or come close enough to have the firearm redirected.

What a lot of people also forget is that this statement is true in any art. KM cannot defy or break the rules of physics.

kevinmack

I don’t understand the idea of waiting for a year or so to introduce students to weapons.They should be introduced to knife defense as soon as you teach 360 which should be done in a new students first couple of classes. Most of the 360 positions are meant to defend knife attacks.Positions 1,6 and 7 are only for a knife stab. Positions 2 and 3 can be used to defend against a punch of knife and I found that introducing the knife right away forces students to do the defense correctly. The knife keeps you honest and doesn’t let you cheat on pressure.

quote The revenge:

plus at 42 there’s no more rings or cages and hopefully no street fights for me.

Revenge

Do you participate in any sparring? I am not talking point sparring, but free sparring. In my opinion you need to keep fighting to develop your skills. We have several older gentlemen in their 60’s that can hand most people a butt kicking. Injuries do happen, but they are minor. Train like you fight, fight like you train.

Someone on here said “proper technique is important, but in the end training and conditioning is what saves you”

Fight Hard and be safe.

tysonlee

I’m just a blue belt, but guess what if I wanted your black belt I’d come take it from you and you coudn’t do a damn thing about it. Lol…..

eli

quote KevinMack:

I don’t understand the idea of waiting for a year or so to introduce students to weapons.They should be introduced to knife defense as soon as you teach 360 which should be done in a new students first couple of classes. Most of the 360 positions are meant to defend knife attacks.Positions 1,6 and 7 are only for a knife stab. Positions 2 and 3 can be used to defend against a punch of knife and I found that introducing the knife right away forces students to do the defense correctly. The knife keeps you honest and doesn’t let you cheat on pressure.

This.

When I introduce 360, we do it in three stages: haymaker, knife, and stick. They all get taught together with the reasoning that, in the dark, you only know something is getting swung at you: you don’t know if it’s a hand or a knife. So naturally the defense has to have the same initial response otherwise your strategy boils down to hope.

Even kids who have trouble with the haymaker “get it” real fast when someone’s swinging a knife at them. So as usual, listen to Kevin. Regarding effectiveness, yoshi is right. The techniques are cutting edge, and generally considered to be based on industry best-practices, backed up by a not-insignificant amount of field testing. However, nobody can teach you to survive an assassination, so keep that in mind. Time, distance, and awareness are your key factors here, so situational awareness first, then maybe you’ll have the opportunity to employ a krav technique before you get hit.

But you’re not going to find “better” or “more correct” knife techniques in other systems, IMHO. Look at what Mike Janich came up with independently for counter-blade concepts, and you’ll realize all the modern counter-blade and gun disarming techniques look strikingly similar if they’re truly practical.

Hope this helps,
    -Eli

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Eli, “Krav knife techniques are cutting edge” theres a joke in there someplace lol.

On a serious note I always tell students your not making a defense against a knife/bottle/haymaker, your defending the angle of the attack. Unless you have advanced warning, by the time you realize what your going to be hit with it’s already too late.

Case in point, I tucked my chin, covered for a haymaker and got sliced on the arm. I came back with a straight right, he went down. At first I thought I’d been punched in the arm THEN I saw the knife and was told I was bleeding.

eli

Haha Sean I think there is…or maybe a tagline for a seminar?

That’s a great story. I’ve heard it many times from many different squared-away guys, and I have one that’s pretty similar. I love that verbiage, of defending against an angle of attack. That’s going in the toolbox: thanks man.

-Eli

anissa
    Blocked

:wav::wav::wav:Krav Maga has a philosophy emphasizing threat neutralization, simultaneous defensive and offensive maneuvers, and aggression. Krav Maga is used by Israeli Defense Forces, both regular and special forces, and several closely related variations have been developed and adopted by law enforcement and intelligence organizations :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: