Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Questions about testing and levels…

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    blindfold

Re: Questions about testing and levels…

Well here is the bad part of the Phase Training for KM instructors, from our TKD school anyways.

They take there Phase Training from an instructor who is from there corportation of schools. He comes down here from Jacksonville and holds a class every couple of years. He was down here about a year ago and hasn’t been back.

Let me say though that this is not a reflection of the instructor. The Corp. HQ of the schools is the ones handing down all of these rules and memos.

I think they are the ones messing things up for the ATA. There are some schools that provide testing, different level classes, and cover what is needed to become an instructor. Then there are a great portion that don’t do any of these things. Florida just happens to be a state where none of these things seem to get done.

I was alos discussing this with another student and she believes that the reason they don’t have testing or belts is because then the instructors might be the lowest ranks in class.

She has been doing this for about 6 years and all of this is very normal to her. She has gone from school to school and feels comfortable with the environment and instructor, but she hates the fact that there is no recognition of any achievements you could possibly reach. At least locally.

kvmorl

Blindfold; Do train in a Victory MA location in Central Florida?

mara-jade

quote leejam99:

point being, i can only help a student so far outside of the class to make sure they are ready for the test. Otherwise i would be there morning through night everyday just making sure who ever is testing knows all the techniques.

I definitely agree – while the instructor is the one training you, unless the class is small and the student comes consistently, it’s not fair to expect the instructor to KNOW when a student is ready. The student needs to take the initiative and find out what they’re lacking and get whatever additional help is needed.

Now if you’re like me that it’s been AWHILE since you got your last belt, it MIGHT be time to get off your butt and do something about it:rolleyes:. I AM working on it though – I swear:D:

jamesh-d30

quote blindfold:

Well here is the bad part of the Phase Training for KM instructors, from our TKD school anyways.
    They take there Phase Training from an instructor who is from there corportation of schools. He comes down here from Jacksonville and holds a class every couple of years. He was down here about a year ago and hasn’t been back……..

I believe this is a mis-statement, and seemingly a violation if true. There are no Krav Maga Senior Lead Instructors sanctioned to instruct Phase Training from Jacksonville. Geographically the nearest instructor that is even able to teach a Phase is Ryan Hoover from NC.

I will say this. Several years ago I taught a few Phase’s in Jacksonville, at an ATA HQ there, both a Phase A and Phase B. I can tell you that some of the Instructors that attended those Phases were ATA guys and very talented. However, I don’t how many of them actually ran schools vs. just instructors at their schools, and my observation has nothing to do with how they might run their programs at their schools.

blindfold

James H I have no doubts that some of these instructors have taken courses directly from KMWW, but I know for fact that a gentleman from Jacksonville come down to Miami and taught a class to about 30 instructors and that certified them to be KM Instructors, for this particular company at least.

I know 4 of these Instructors who all went ot this course and one who was there to assist with demonstrations, if needed. This all took place about a year ago and at that time I asked if anyone could attend for certification and I was told that only people who worked for this company.

From my experiences with this companies headquarters, I have little doubt that these instructors are not making the choices, they are told what is to be followed.

And also , No I don’t train at Victory Martial Arts, but I hear all of the same things about there KM program as with the one I am at. Whether true or not I don’t know. I’ve never even seen a Victory Martial Arts.

bradm

“I will say this. Several years ago I taught a few Phase’s in Jacksonville, at an ATA HQ there, both a Phase A and Phase B. I can tell you that some of the Instructors that attended those Phases were ATA guys and very talented. However, I don’t how many of them actually ran schools vs. just instructors at their schools, and my observation has nothing to do with how they might run their programs at their schools.”

James,
    You may have taught two of the instructors I trained under when I lived in GA. Todd Droege and Jack Kisner, if that ringa a bell. They were both awesome insturctors. I don’t know if they went through Phase A in Jacksonville or in LA, But, I know Jack Kisner went through Phase B in Jacksonville (Master Clarks school, I believe). They are both ATA TKD instructors. Believe me, they took their Krav training very seriously.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: