Home Forums Private Forums Instructors & Licenseeís Instructor Forums Rape Prevention – Moscow, Idaho

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    bull1189

A delayed report about Krav Maga of Moscowís Rape Prevention Seminar.

We held ours on April 26th and had 22 women from the community attend, including 8 high school girls. The class size was very manageable for us and we were able to give the attendees good attention throughout the day. My second instructor is a Sheriffís deputy and we also had one of my deputy students there in uniform.

We basically followed the KMWW suited mugger curriculum, with a few modifications because we only had one Red Man suit, and the suit was not the well made for choke from the front or bear-hug from behind defense. So, instead, we taught bear-hug from the front and used that for the fighting scenario.

The class went really well ñ the students enjoyed it and learned a lot from it. This is the first time Iíve done this sort of seminar and what was really rewarding was to see such a large group of novices leave clearly having learned some self defense techniques.

The biggest lesson learned was regarding the suit ñ again, a first for me. The suit did not have sufficient head protection for the mugger, so we had to stand next to him to make sure that the women didnít get around to his side or start striking his head. V-E-R-Y unfortunately for our mugger, it seems the women ñonce being taught how to strike ñ were instinctively going for his head and throat. Which, although being what we would want them to do if attacked (so it kind of made me happy), was hard on our mugger. Also, the suit is designed for training with another suited person, so it was not safe for the women to strike at his face because the suit has a plexiglass face-shield that could hurt their hands and wrists. We knew about that problem, so Travis and I had already planned to block his head. Still, I was quite surprised at the violence of the instinctive head strikes and will definitely be watching out for them in the future more.

The good news there ñ Travis is his departmentís training officer and has already gotten them to commit to buying a FIST suit to replace the red-man.

All in all a very successful event and, although we did zero selling during the event, it has caused a spike in local awareness of our school and weíve already signed up a few folks who found out about us from talking to students from the seminar.

I want to thank all the folks at KMWW ñ especially Kelly ñ for taking the time make sure we had what we needed and a good curriculum for the program. The teleconferences regarding the seminar were EXTREMELY helpful in planning and preparing the seminar and actually running it. This is particularly so for new schools such as mine, where we haven’t done this sort of thing before. Thanks to all ñ here are some pics.

Krav Maga of Moscow’s own Deputy Ryan Sillers suited up and ready to go:

He bolstered the suit’s protection with his Tac-Entry vest. Really wasn’t the best suit for this kind of thing, but it sure was fun testing it: Does this hurt – WHACK! No? How about this WHACK! rofl2

And a very unfortunate picture of my fiancÈ landing a knee. I will keep my safety distance when she gets mad at me.

stevetuna

Re: Rape Prevention – Moscow, Idaho

I agree with you about the limitations of the Red Man suit, Mike. It’s good to see that the women picked right up on how to attack vital areas / soft targets. As the father of two daughters, I can state that there’s a great deal of instinct at play there…

BTW – yeah, that’s a mean knee strike – mind your manners!

kirsten

Re: Rape Prevention – Moscow, Idaho

Hi MIKE!!!!

Nice turnout for the seminar, great job! We don’t use the redman suit and instead use the Hitman for this very reason… It just doesnt provide enough protection.

Are we going to see Travis for the next course? Email me if you guys are interested in course dates… I don’t think they have updated the schedule with them yet…

Kirsten
    Krav Maga of Oregon

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: