Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    simplythomas

So I was at training earlier, and we had a sparing session, and one guy consistently kept beating my defences with punches and roundhouse kicks (Iím rather bruised as a result). I know how to block the attacks, and I was throwing my blocks, but my reaction times just seemed to let me down. This guy wasnít anything to special, he was just the only one actually hit me hard, which I donít mind as it helps me learn, but it got me thinking, has anybody else had this problem where the brain just doesnít send the signal to ëmoveí fast enough, and have you found any way to improve reaction speeds?

bulb98930

Re: Reaction speed

I have that same problem all the time…I really don’t know how to speed up. I’m glad I’m not the only one with this problem. Any suggestions?

simplythomas

Iíve been looking around… and I found a method to improve reaction and recognitionÖ You basically go to some fairly thick woods with lots of obstacles to avoid.. And you sprint through it! Having to duck and weaveÖ LOL! Sounds so mad it could just workÖ

don

can’t type much right now, a couple of pesos off the top of my head:

Hard to comment without seeing you guys “spar” or knowing your respective background/skill levels, but him “scoring” on you could be a result of quite a few different factors, including:

could be he’s more skilled than you – he’s good at non-telegraphing his attacks, he’s mixing up elements from the “5 ways of attack” (JKD), he’s able to read you, he’s been sparring longer than you, etc.

could be he’s faster than you or has more reach than you – maybe genetics, maybe skill, maybe he’s more relaxed, maybe you’ve got some holes in your defense you’re not aware of, maybe you’re not picking up little things he’s doing before he strikes, maybe you Are recognizing when he’s about to attack but you’re positioning yourself too close (he’s inside your reactionary gap), etc

could be you were on a “low physical” day (biorhythm type stuff) – hard to be at “peak level” every time, every day. There are days when I’m out at work and feel like I’m “half a step behind” in everything I do. Even professional athletes (name your favorite sport, team, player, etc) have their less than peak performance days.

couple things I might do (besides training myself harder) – watch him more closely when he fights/spars others and see if you can pick up little hints when you’re not the one in front of him; straight out ask him if there is something you are doing or not doing that is making it easier for him to hit you – how is he able to consistently hit you, something fault of yours or something extra that he is doing, etc.

some suggested reading:

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/ray.d8/article5.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OODA_Loop

bulb98930

Does it also guarantee magical fighting skills after? lol

bulb98930

Don, I’m a newbie level 2, in general I’m am just S-L-O-W.

My reaction time is just 2 seconds too slow. A non-krav friend was standing right in front of me the other day at my house messing with me. He did a front kick (which I saw coming) and after he fully extended his leg I blocked.:thunbsdown: It feels like my eyes are faster than my appendages.

quote bulb98930:

My reaction time is just 2 seconds too slow. A non-krav friend was standing right in front of me the other day at my house messing with me. He did a front kick (which I saw coming) and after he fully extended his leg I blocked.:thunbsdown: It feels like my eyes are faster than my appendages.

WOW, How do you deal with the 360 defense positions? :confused:

simplythomas

Thanks for the advice Don, Il definitely ask for some feedback next time I spar. He was more experienced/skilled than me, although it seemed more down to me than him to be honest. Slightly going off topicÖ but you seem like such a wise man Id appreciate your help 🙂 Ö.I was thinking maybe it was a psychological thing rather than a physical thing. Iím a spring chicken(18 years old) and in good shape, and Iíve never really had to worry about my reactions theyíve tended to be good, it just seems to be this damn sparingÖMaybe my mind subconsciously was just thinking ëohh nothing to worry about its only a bit of sparing, its not life or deathí. Have you ever experienced that? Where the aggression switch just doesnít flip on. Have you any pointers on how to make training more real for my self, Id like to be able to ëflip that switchí on a moments notice, and stay in 100% control of everything, with all the adrenaline/fear rush.

bulb98930

You know…sometimes I get it sometimes I don’t.

I think part of my problem is that I need to spar with faster people (might make me want to speed up to avoid getting hit?) and I end up with some of the newer lvl2’s that are at my same level. So instead of letting things happen and continuing to gain a rhythm, one of us ends up wanting to start over (which drives me crazy!). Some people are also still a little nervous about full contact as well so sometimes I don’t even know if my timing is right.

I think we might need to start some training on taking hits or something…maybe that’ll learn me lol

don

quote bulb98930:

I’m so slow it takes me an hour to cook minute rice… :beer: ;):

IMO, your eyes (and especially your brain) will typically be faster than your extremities. OTOH, sometimes your eyes may have some trouble tracking Another Person’s extremities. When your adrenaline is going, it’s not unusual for your brain to go into another gear and make your body feel like it’s moving in slow motion.

don

quote SimplyThomas:

Thanks for the advice Don, Il definitely ask for some feedback next time I spar.

Cool. 🙂 If you have good training partners, they will be helpful and willing to share information to help you improve (even if it means giving up some of their “secrets”).

He was more experienced/skilled than me, although it seemed more down to me than him to be honest. Slightly going off topicÖ but you seem like such a wise man Id appreciate your help 🙂

Are you calling me OLD? 😡 I’m getting very sensitive about my age! 😡 ;):

Ö.I was thinking maybe it was a psychological thing rather than a physical thing. Iím a spring chicken(18 years old) and in good shape, and Iíve never really had to worry about my reactions theyíve tended to be good, it just seems to be this damn sparingÖMaybe my mind subconsciously was just thinking ëohh nothing to worry about its only a bit of sparing, its not life or deathí. Have you ever experienced that? Where the aggression switch just doesnít flip on.

In training yes (due to improper mindset), in real life not yet (knocking on my head).

Have you any pointers on how to make training more real for my self, Id like to be able to ëflip that switchí on a moments notice, and stay in 100% control of everything, with all the adrenaline/fear rush.

IMO, “flipping the switch” AND “staying in 100% control of everything” can be a BIG ORDER (much easier said than done). 1st, you’re never fully in control of everything. In a physical altercation there are more things that you do NOT control than you do – e.g. you won’t have any control over TIME, LUCK, your opponents’ mindset, skill level/abilities, conditioning, number of opponents, weapons, environmental factors, etc.

All else being equal, the more time you spend training in an “adrenal state” (under stress, with your heart jumping into your throat, etc), the more comfortable you will be and the more in control you will be.

IMO, the more “realistic” training is – the more you run the risk of serious and/or lasting injury. We have to strike a balance between “properly” preparing ourselves for a worst case scenario and being able to physically, mentally, and emotionally go on living our every day lives (e.g. becoming so injured you can’t go to work or participate in sports/hobbies, etc).

If you’re not feeling adrenaline pumping, it could be that you’re crazy (lol) or perhaps there isn’t enough “risk” (e.g. you’re not going to experience some type of pain or humiliation for “failure”) in what you’re doing. For me, realizing that Hey, I could get knocked out or choked out by this guy is usually enough to make me work a little harder… ;):

rfc

Where are your eyes? Where are you looking? If you are purposely (or unintentionally) staring at some particular part of your opponent then, you cannot see the whole picture of what’s coming at you. You can only see what you’re concentrating on.

When I spar (of any kind), I don’t stare at anthing in particular. Try aiming your overall view of things in the direction of your opponent’s center of mass and try not to focus on anything -at all. This is particularly helpful when the fight is very close-in.

The trick I learned is “Don’t look at anything but, see everything and let your brain comprehend the visual input”. It seems the arms and legs will react instantly when you do this.

A couple months ago, I just figured this out and have been doing it regularly. My blocking success rate and accuracy went from about (esitmating) 70% to 90%. When I’m doing it right, I get this feeling of “being in the zone”. Everthing around you seems like it’s going in slow motion and your brain is still aware of all the movement and your arms and legs naturally protect you from anthing that gets too close.

I learned to do this in other sports and activities and it seems to work with Krav too.

Ray

PS: This seems to work for me. YMMV.

bulb98930

I’ve been taught the soft eyes thing since I started. It works well, I see things coming…I just don’t move as quickly. :dunno:

michaelmall

I believe there is an article in Black Belt magazine
    about the eye and how to use your perifial vision .
    It is the issue after the krav one.

michaelmall

Sorry it is in the april 2009 issue.
    It is called the dragons gaze.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: