Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Reality Based Training?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    sean-akrav

This sounds pretty stupid/crazy but I’m going to ask it anyways.

I watched a news clip on the internet a LONG time ago where people were set up and mugged by a fake mugger to see how they would react. Some of them gave up their wallets, and keys among other possesions. Others tried fighting off the guy. Others tried talking it out etc.

Is there/have there been times where instructors have pretended to mug a student with a fake (but real looking) gun/knife? I can’t think of another way that would be more realistic than that, but I could see a huge law suit coming from it or it ending very, very badly.

Has anyone else thought about this before? I guess there would have to be some waiver to sign at the very beginning but then you would know it was coming at some point.

kravmdjeff

Sean, do you know where you saw the clip?

sean-akrav

Re:

quote \”KravMDjeff\:

Sean, do you know where you saw the clip?

No I’ll look for it. How was class today? I slept in today 😥

anonymous

Interesting idea. I like it. Reminds me of the \”Pink Panther\” movies. I don’t think they would go for it though, many of our defenses have immediate counterattacks, so as soon as you block the knife, you may strike the fake attacker and break something. 🙁 Or what if you get hurt (heart attack, or you soil your favorite pair of pants) and then decide to sue the center? 😉

Probably best to do something somewhat similar but in a more controlled drill. I suggested a fun drill in the garage some time ago. I’ll see if I can find it and pull it up again. It wouldn’t be total surprise, but still different from the regular inside the gym routine.

sean-akrav

Yeah it definitely could end up very badly. I was just wondering if anyone else has done this or thought about it. It would have to be done in a VERY controlled enviornment.

I couldn’t find that clip but I may have seen it on the T.V.

kravjeff

\”Reminds me of the \”Pink Panther\” movies.\”

HILARIOUS!!! Kato if I remember correctly.?.?.? It’s funny you wrote this – Just yesterday I was thinking about how nice it would be to have the possibility of a \”training attacker\” lurking around every corner (willing to get you a sandwich 😀 ) and specifically it reminded me of the old PP movies! 😆 😆

anonymous

I actually haven’t seen one of those movies in a long time, but I remember he always had his assistant attack him at the most inopportune moments. It actually would be an awesome way to train, but unless you have your very own trainer or personal assistant, it may be hard to organize, since this would work best when you are far from your KM school and thus completely taken by surprise. Even more so, if a person attacked you you haven’t seen before and so you wouldn’t realize it’s a set up ’til after it’s all over. But then again, those pesky legal issues….

esco

Burton Richardson has this awesome exercise in class. sparring is undoubtedly good becasue you get to practice on a live opponent that is resisting your attack, or defending another persons attack. you get to experience what it is like to use the technique in a fight scenario.

But Burton reasons that when you are attacked your attacker is not going to stand in front of you and you will not already be in a fighting stance. sadly most attacks are by surprise and they come from behind or the side. what he does is take his students outside and in a controlled exercise they all walk around in this grassy area with their hands down. everybody just walks around aimlessly. the rule is that anyone can attack anyone else (in a controlled way, of course, no one uses full force)at any time, no one can raise their hands unles they are trying to launch or defend an attack. so, anyone can attack you from any angle with any technique at any time, you then have to do your best to defend it. at first atacks seem to come from nowhere. it helps because it forces you to realize how much awareness matters, reduces reaction times, and helps you to deal with and work through that momentary brain lapse and paralizing feeling that happens to most of us after a surprise attack.

do you guys do anything like that? i think it’s a great exercise, and maybe some of you can work it into your classes.

kmcat

Re:

kravjeff: \”Reminds me of the \”Pink Panther\” movies.\”

HILARIOUS!!! Kato if I remember correctly.?.?.? It’s funny you wrote this – Just yesterday I was thinking about how nice it would be to have the possibility of a \”training attacker\” lurking around every corner (willing to get you a sandwich 😀 ) and specifically it reminded me of the old PP movies! 😆 :lol:\”

My son and I have actually been doing this at our house. I’ve done a choke from behind several times while he has been playing video games. I’ve mostly stopped this now though as he has gotten a lot better at the counter attack and he has developed wicked elbow strike.

kravjeff

My boys are too young now, but, someday … 😀

anonymous

Oh, yeah, choke the children!! 😯 😆

Esco,

Sounds like a good exercise. We should try it sometime. 😀

kmcat

Re:

Giantkiller:
    Oh, yeah, choke the children!! 😯 😆

Esco,

Sounds like a good exercise. We should try it sometime. 😀
    —————————————————————————-

I have to say, at this stage of our training its becoming somewhat dangerous for me to try this…

anonymous

Yeah, you’d want to be careful, this could easily lead to vengeful elderly abuse later on in life… 😉

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: