Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Recovering for next class

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    towani

Hello all.
    I have a few questions that I apologize if they have been covered but the words I used to search said they were too common. :dunno:
    My question begins with recovering for next class. I’m new to KM, and I’m finding that my prior martial arts did not keep me in the good shape I though I was in.
    My back is killing me, my elbows are beyond black and blue to a deep red, and my knuckles are all bloodied up (that’s using mma training gloves).
    I am wondering for my back, is it better to use a hot pack or cold pack?
    Also, for my elbow, are either of those useful. My elbow is numb atm, so it’s not pain related.
    As for my knuckles, I’m guessing that as I build up caluses and break in the gloves the bloody look will go away.
    During the day I work at a professional place that having my hands and elbows look like they do isn’t a good thing. :combat:
    I appreciate any feedback!!

jjbklb

Re: Recovering for next class

Cold packs for recent injuries,both for back & elbows.
    Take a few minutes before & after class to stretch out your back.
    are you taking any aspirin-type analgesics that would increase the bruising?

saruotoko

Hi Towani.

Ice then hot, for the first day. After that, heat only, and for 20 minutes at a time. (Just got that from the Red Cross at cert. class)

I’d also ditch the gloves for hand-wraps. The leather on the inside of the gloves can turn your hands into ground-beef on the best of days. As for your elbows looking that way….wear long-sleeves for now? 🙂

Welcome to Krav!

Mario

towani

Thanks guys for the info. I don’t take any asprin like stuff. I think I was just going 100% at it and as a result the bag won?!?
    As for the gloves, I was thinking about the handwraps. D’oh, I wish I would have asked before I bought them 🙁

saruotoko

quote towani:

Thanks guys for the info. I don’t take any asprin like stuff. I think I was just going 100% at it and as a result the bag won?!?
    As for the gloves, I was thinking about the handwraps. D’oh, I wish I would have asked before I bought them 🙁

Don’t sweat the gloves too much. If you don’t have time to wrap, they’re an excellent substitute. But breaking in new gloves can be a bear. That’s the only caveat.

I still have the small Krav gloves, in addition to wraps and the big 16oz ones.

Train hard!

Mario

dunc

hi towani,

It has taken me 2 months to heal the ground beef knuckles, (once they got skinned, and scabs formed, they just got pounded in and made everything worse, even under handwraps)

My best advice, switch to open palm strikes until they are completely healed.
    It’s a very effective strike, and the mechanics are similar to punching.

Your instructors shouldn’t mind too much.

phlegmon27

Epsom salts are perfect for sore muscles the next day. The Magnesium in them forces muscles to relax.

Go for the wraps. See my reply to your other post for details.

Not sure what to make of the bruised elbows, though. I haven’t seen that before.

parishd

I got bloody knuckles for about the first 3-4 months I was training in KM. For me, it was related to poor punch mechanics. Once I got that under control my knuckles were much happier. I now alternate between using gloves, wraps, and going bare knuckled, and it just hasn’t been an issue anymore.

As to being sore, I’m always sore and debating whether I should cut back on my training a bit. I am getting up there in age (mid-fifties) and may be going at it a bit more than my body can bear. I’ve taken more ibuprofen in the last nine months than I had in the previous ten years. :(:

hartez

Arnica gel might help with the elbow bruising. I know it helps a bit with forearm bruising from 360 practice.

towani

Wow, thanks much for the great and helpful responses.
    I did get the handwraps and they really made a difference last night. No new bloody knuckles, and it protected the 3 spots that I’ve ripped open.
    I’ve heard of that salt before, I’ll try it.
    And as for the gel, I’ll look into that as I hadn’t heard of that before.
    Thank again all!!

saruotoko

Yeah, Arnica is a great treatment for bruising, Towani. My favorite commercial product with Arnica in it is “Cryogel.” It doesn’t smell bad, and does a number on the bruising.

Happy to hear the wraps helped keep the ground-beefing of your hands to a minimum.

Mario

nate

I’d agree with Mario on the cold then hot. A couple of instructors at the gym suggested using cold packs right after each workout and then putting heat on the injury later.

If you’re punching heavy bags, I’d suggest using boxing gloves. If you’re punching at full power, MMA gloves will almost always cut the webbing on your hands open, even after breaking the gloves in.

Also if you’re cutting the pinkie and ring finger knuckles of your hand, you can probably chalk that up to improper punching technique. When I started, I had that for a couple weeks until I learned to rotate my hands the right way for punches.

Sounds like the wraps have helped out a lot.

jenn

Arnica is DA BOMB!!! For the first 6 months of Krav I HAD to wear long sleeves. I couldn’t have 100s of people thinking I was an abused woman. rofl2 And has been stated – hand wraps. Or I used my boxing gloves, a lot.

Prior to Krav I had intense low back pain every morning – car accident in ’91. Krav has strengthened my back – it’s incredible. And it may be just because I’m a girl – as Miller said – but I take a back after every krav class.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: