Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Recovery time for ruptured Achilles Heel?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Yes, it’s been a while since I posted anything, mostly cause this injury has really got me down (literally and figuratively). After the operation, I still managed to make it to workout, just abs and upper body, and helped with instruction when needed, from my humble knees only position on the floor; but it’s not the same and my weight is beginning to go up again without the standup drills and cardio- ergo my blood sugar, which I had almost completely controlled with deit and exercise, has begun to go up as well.
    Very discouraging.
    Anyone have any experience with recovery time for a ruptured Achilles Heel? My doc seems to be pretty deadset against me continuing martial arts, but I think he might be leaning a bit too conservative.
    Any thoughts?

mara-jade

Re: Recovery time for ruptured Achilles Heel?

Hi Nickolas,

Sorry to read about your injury. It’s really up to you if you want to continue once your heel’s better. I only know a few folks who’ve had ACL injuries and it took 6 months to a year to be able to come back to train.

johnl-d11

My cousin’s husband tore his playing basketball.. He was off of it completely for 3 months then while we were on vacation together, he was jogging on a treadmill(10 mins at 5mph) and able to walk all the time on the beach(probably 6 months). After 8 months, he was back to 90% and after a year, he says he has no pain and able to do everything he could before.

Go with your doc in terms of stayin off it, i messed mine up in track and didn’t stay off it and it only got worse til i finally got off it for a couple months, then go as well as you feel, its a unique injury.
    as for the blood sugar, i have issues with mine as well and it relies a lot on my diet and exercise level. make sure you keep working your upper body and keep your metabolism up! try to do any lower body workouts you can w/o weights of course. maybe some simple leg raises from your back, alphabets, or mock-bicycles.
    just keep that metabolism up so youre processing the sugars you take in!

good luck on the recovery man!

Thanks for all the great advice. I guess my doc wasn’t being a worry wart afterall. I’ll keep at the ab and upper body workouts, with no weight lower body workouts, and be very cautious for the first six months or so. Thanks again, guys and gals. But, boy, do I miss the Krav standup drills.

mara-jade

Hope you heal up soon. Don’t be a stranger around here:wav:

johnl-d11

Search on the crossfit site’s forum on what people did recovering from ACL and achilles tears, some good advice for recovery workouts.

anthony

I think a ruptured Achilles has got to be one of the worst injuries going. After two years I am still having issues with mine. Unlike my injury you were fortunate to be able to have surgery to correct it. Get some therapy (a great chiropractic physician really helped me) and stick with training and stretching at your own pace. You will be surprised how your body is able to adapt. Good luck.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: