Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    jdejongh

Hey gang,

Just wanted to share something with you that hopefully will save someone alot of needless discomfort. I have been training Krav for over a year. A few months back i began to notice that my MMA type gloves had a real odor like rotten sweat. I just chocked it up to .”yeah i sweat alot when i work out doing krav” soon after i noticed this odor, i began a skin rash on the back of my hands that eventually ran all the way up my arms. after several doctors visits, pounds of different skin ointments and things not really getting better, i left on a business trip for a couple weeks and didnt train krav (or use my gloves). my hands started to get better. i flew home thinking maybe im allergic to something in my house. then my wife and i worked out in the basement on our bag using the gloves, all of a sudden my hand rash started up again. long story short. careful of getting ring worm if you use the leather type mma glove. Has anyone else had such an experience??

Jeff

bracius

Re: Ring worm

Just get it every April 14th….can’t sit down for a few weeks afterwards

kirsten

Ring worm is not a result of sweaty, dirty, training gear alone. You need to see a dermatologist or general physician to obtain treatment for it. It is a fungus that is recognized by its “ring” in appearance due to the funguses affect on your body’s melanin. It is contagious and you do not want to have physical contact with another person during your infection. It is very common among wrestling, MMA and submission fighting.

It is a fungus that survives best in a dark, moist and hot environment… sound familiar? Yes your gloves are an excellent place to keep it alive and well. It is commonly picked up from animals like pet rodents, guinea pigs and other nasty little creatures then passed along during physical contact with another person, towel, training gear, shower floors, etc. If it was truely ringworm, your wife would likely have it also from touching the same gear or bag.

It is more likely that you have general irritation from the “nasty-ness” of your gloves. I tell my students to wash hands before they start class to reduce the glove smell and it works well. Also, don’t share your equipment, ever. I would encourage you next time you have a “flair up” to schedule and appointment with a dermatologist instead of the general physician and ask for a skin scrape to check for the fungus specifically. Also, treat yourself to new gloves- it’s been a year and sounds like you deserve it!

unstpabl1

Are there anti fungals for gloves. I have some Zeasorb-AF that I used always at the Muay Thai Academy. Always seemed to get athletes foot there. It helped and i needed to use it after as well. Just looked at the label. It says its for ringworm and jock itch. May help in gloves, but it does say not to rub in eyes.

I will say that KMSO was one of the cleanest gyms I ever worked out in. I was pretty suprised in a way, because people were working their asses off. It didn’t smell like a hardcore gym, nor did I itch after like some gyms. Maybe the wearing of shoes helps.

miriam

quote unstpabl1:

I will say that KMSO was one of the cleanest gyms I ever worked out in. I was pretty suprised in a way, because people were working their asses off. It didn’t smell like a hardcore gym, nor did I itch after like some gyms. Maybe the wearing of shoes helps.

We are a very clean group, don’tcha know?!? ;):

unstpabl1

quote Miriam:

We are a very clean group, don’tcha know?!? ;):

I looked around for the washroom attendent. He wasn’t there. Was I suppose to tiprofl2

On a side note, this girl I work with had been bugging me to take a Power Yoga class. It really was tough. But I don’t think I can hang with them. Every 30 seconds someone was letting one rip. Plus everything was done with deep breaths. Very toxic enviorment:tantrum:

jdejongh

Thanks Kirsten,
    Nice to know somebody could provide some constuctive feed back!!! Love the new gloves!!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: