Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics seeking advice about a local gym

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    legacy

Hello every. I came to this site because I’m new to krav maga and wondering about the authenticity of my current place of training. I realize this isn’t the proper place to post this but seeing as I don’t have access to that place after registering I figured I’d give it a shot here.

My current training place http://krav.pro/ doesn’t seem to use a Level 1-5 system like most places I read about. They have 3 levels from what I can tell. basic, BBT1 (blackbelt training 1) and BB2 (blackbelt training 2).

So far basic just consists of exercises followed by a few combative strikes on mats. I don’t have a problem with what I’ve learned so far or how I’ve learned it. I’ve been attending for roughly 6 weeks.

The instructor said that after 6 months I could move to bb1. This is what concerns me… I didn’t take up krav maga to “earn a belt”. 6 months of training to black belt training seems odd from what I’ve red? I feel like we skipped a few colors(and possibly lessons/practice).

Once again sorry for posting this here but if I had access to the other part I would have posted there. Hopefully i can get an answer before it gets deleted.

Thanks!

kmyoshi

Re: seeking advice about a local gym

It sounds really strange to me that there would only be a basic class and than jump to “black belt training.” I would understand if there was a basic and then intermediate/advanced class as some schools only have a few Krav classes a day. Did the instructor say you would be testing to get a [black] belt? How do you like your training so far? Have you compared it to any Krav training videos on Youtube? Do you have any other Krav facilities in your area to try out and compare?

L1 at KMW consists of a strenuous warm up, and then learning the basics: fight stance, movement, how to punch, hammerfist, elbows, knees… choke defense(s) and stress drills/pressure testing. Not all in one class necessarily but that is the gist of it. Does this sound like your class?

After a little bit of google-fu, it appears that at least one of the instructors claims to be educated and certified by KMA and holds an additional certification in KMA-Force; these titles line up most closely with the Krav Maga Alliance. If they have changed the rankings around a little bit, he’s doing his own thing-KMA lists a 5 level ranking system, after which I am assuming they have degrees of black belt. Richard Swords appears to be certified as a 2nd degree blackbelt, and is listed as such on KMA’s website.

TLDR: don’t know what they’re talking about with bb1’ish stuff, the head dude is certified through Krav Maga Alliance, no groin no krav.

oldkmdude

We might be reading too much into this. Maybe the basics class is for people who want to learn the basics without necessarily progressing through the ranks and the “black belt” classes are just the progression through the standard levels. A lot of the smaller gyms I’ve seen group their classes into basic (L1), intermediate (L2-L3) and advanced (L4-L5) or something similar. OP, why don’t you just ask them how the ranks work at their school and what they teach in these black belt classes. They would know better than us.

pinkgloves

I’ve trained with Richard quite a bit, and can honestly say he sticks true to Krav Maga. He considers his school a “black belt” school, but that does not mean you will get your black belt after six months. They break each level up and have mid-term testings along the way to ensure your foundation and proficiency in each level before you test out.

You are at a very good school with very good instructors. 🙂

ma-ria

I am also having a similar issue. I’ve been training for 1 year at a facility associated with USKMA (Mark Slane). I knew nothing about Krav Maga when I started. In over a year, we have never tested and there is only 1 class level – we all train Level 1 and they throw in a few Level 2 – 3 techniques occasionally.

The instructor used to have a little more control over what is taught in class and lately it seems the business owners are forcing him to use only their plan. I’m a little aggravated by the fact there doesn’t seem to be an overall plan for the Krav Maga program – I don’t know how to progress. When I questioned it, I was told to just trust them that the training was good and that the plan was none of my business. The business owners and the instructor are not one in the same. My instructor is great and the techniques are good, but I don’t feel comfortable with the way the business is run. Should I not know what to expect from the program?

The facility requires a “Membership contract”. My contract is up in a few weeks. This has prompted me to do some research. I am finding that facilities associated with the US organizations seem to be more focused on fitness and a business model that appeals to the masses ($$$). What types of questions should I ask to determine if a facility is truly dedicated to a Krav Maga program vs seeing it as just another part of the fitness business (and a way to make more $$)? I don’t want to get involved with the politics of the various organizations. I just want to train and train hard. Fitness is a side effect, not the goal.

tzrider

quote Ma_Ria:

When I questioned it, I was told to just trust them that the training was good and that the plan was none of my business.

I would interpret that to mean there is no plan.

kmyoshi

quote Ma_Ria:

I am also having a similar issue. I’ve been training for 1 year at a facility associated with USKMA (Mark Slane). I knew nothing about Krav Maga when I started. In over a year, we have never tested and there is only 1 class level – we all train Level 1 and they throw in a few Level 2 – 3 techniques occasionally.

The instructor used to have a little more control over what is taught in class and lately it seems the business owners are forcing him to use only their plan. I’m a little aggravated by the fact there doesn’t seem to be an overall plan for the Krav Maga program – I don’t know how to progress. When I questioned it, I was told to just trust them that the training was good and that the plan was none of my business. The business owners and the instructor are not one in the same. My instructor is great and the techniques are good, but I don’t feel comfortable with the way the business is run. Should I not know what to expect from the program?

The facility requires a “Membership contract”. My contract is up in a few weeks. This has prompted me to do some research. I am finding that facilities associated with the US organizations seem to be more focused on fitness and a business model that appeals to the masses ($$$). What types of questions should I ask to determine if a facility is truly dedicated to a Krav Maga program vs seeing it as just another part of the fitness business (and a way to make more $$)? I don’t want to get involved with the politics of the various organizations. I just want to train and train hard. Fitness is a side effect, not the goal.

KMW-NTC gives us a breakdown of the curriculum when you sign up. You’ll see in Level 1, you will be learning punches, footwork/movement, groin kicks, choke defenses, 360… etc. Level 2 you’ll learn … Level 3 … etc.

Do you feel you are just doing the same techniques day after day, week after week? Whatever level you are in, they will drill that level’s curriculum of techniques so that it will become instinctive and you don’t need to actively think about doing it. Do you only have one class per day or one er week?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: