Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Shin guard recomendation?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    jarcher

Hi All…

I need some shin guards. It’s hard to tell whats good and whats not from the pictures. Can someone offer a recomendation?

Thanks!

anonymous

I have Fairtex shinguards and would highly recommend them. You can get them on their website.

clfmak

I like the kind that has that tube construction and the loop around the heel better than the kind with the two straps. The first are a little harder to put on, but the kind with the straps can rotate and move so they don’t protect the shin at all. I wear hard soccer shin guards, but I don’t know if everyone would be cool with that.

kravron
    nancypants

I hate those – I feel like I might as well be protecting my legs with a couple of pairs of knee socks. It feels marginally better if the other person is ALSO wearing shin guards, but they’re just awfully thin. Or maybe I’m just being a baby. 🙂

(I hate getting kicked)

jarcher

Re:

Those are the ones that they will be selling at the school, but I was wondering if anything better is available.

kravron

I have not had a problem with these shin-pads. As long as both people are wearing them 😆

I am a big fan of if it aint broke dont fix it. They work just fine for me.

nancypants

CLFMak, any idea who the \”tube\” shin guards are made by? I’ve seen a couple of people wearing those and they seem like they might offer more protection because they’re stiffer on the outside.

kravmdjeff

I second Giant’s recommendation on the Fairtex ones. I just got them and they feel like ancient-style greaves. They feel indestructable.

lazlo

\”Century\” makes some tube sock ones. My kid used them for TKD. I like and use the Fairtex ones for KM, but if you wear shoes in sparring then they don’t cover the side of the foot as well as the PRO Boxing Shin Guards.

http://www.proboxingequip.com/

If you are just starting, then the ones that they sell at your dojo, probably the RevGear/KM brand will last a goodly amount of time.

jarcher

Thanks everyone! How do the \”tube\” ones work? I don’t see how they are tightened…

clfmak

I wasn’t talking about the TKD shin/instep kind, but the construction is similar. I meant the soccer style ones without the individual straps around the back of the leg. This kind:
    http://www.hitrunscore.com/soccer-shin-guards.html

The TKD and soccer ones don’t tighten at all. They have an elastic backing that keeps it in place. I don’t really like the instep protection, but then again I sometimes get hurt on the top of my foot and I suppose you could incorporate foot stomps with that kind of padding.

anonymous

Talk about indestructible. I’ve had my Fairtex ones for years and they are still like new.

kravmdjeff

Don’t wear soccer ones. As a former soccer player, I can tell you they’re meant for different types of kicks/attacks. I personally don’t think they work anywhere near as well/.

clfmak

The soccer ones work for me, but not every pair will. When you understand the dynamics of what you’re doing, you can try ones on to see if they’ll work. Just so you know, the context I’m talking about is sparring with lightweight martial arts shoes without direct kicks to the shin.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: