Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    ds314

I need to purchase some shin guards and need some recomendations on brands, comfort, protection. I know I can purchase the RevGear Krav shin guards. I’ve never tried on a pair. They look pretty bulky. What is the difference between Grappling shin guards and other shin guards. I would like to make the right decision purchasing the correct shin guard that is needed.

Thanks,

Dave

Re: Shin Guards

Grappling shin guards usually have a neoprene back and slide on like a sock, as opposed to the regular shin guards that have velcro straps… it has been my experience that the grappling shin guards don’t move around as much when you are kicking as the ones with straps, but I’m sure that varies with different brands and the way they are sized. If you can, I would recommend asking around at your school to see if people would let you try on theirs so you can get an idea of fit and comfort…

ds314

A friend of a friend told me that the American Stand-up products are pretty good.
    http://americanstandup.com/

Dave

kirsten

Check out the other thread on shin guards… After trying Bas’ new one’s, I am now spoiled… they are UNREAL!! Oneness defended and I kicked as hard as I could and didnt feel a thing! AWESOME.

aviatordave

Kirsten – any insight on how the Bas shin guards run as compared to their sizing? I saw a review on some other brand and it said they run very small, and for that brand, always get a size larger than you think you need. I’m 6′, 185 lbs, if you happen to know someone else my size that’s using them.

maddogmean

I prefer the grappling shin guards because they don’t move. But takes longer to put them on if you’re wearing shoes during practice as you have to take your shoes off to get them on.

kirsten

quote AviatorDave:

Kirsten – any insight on how the Bas shin guards run as compared to their sizing? I saw a review on some other brand and it said they run very small, and for that brand, always get a size larger than you think you need. I’m 6′, 185 lbs, if you happen to know someone else my size that’s using them.

I would recommend the largest size then. I have the Large I think, and they fit me well… Note: I have “man calves” thanks to years of TKD…lol

leejam99

i like something that covers my foot well. if you’re throwing a lot of kicks to the ribs, you’ll understand.

inky

So which are the new one’s? i found a red pair for $40 and a black pair for $60… go for the black ones? my shins deserve to be spoiled ;-P

quote Kirsten:

Check out the other thread on shin guards… After trying Bas’ new one’s, I am now spoiled… they are UNREAL!! Oneness defended and I kicked as hard as I could and didnt feel a thing! AWESOME.
    kirsten

They are a grappling shinguard (the one’s I just posted on) and would not do well for KM training, as they have a neoprene back. I would go for the other ones. I will say that the revgear ones we just ordered for our KM students were VERY nice and would be worth a shot. I think PDX carries them…

jaspthecat

I found my Twins Muay Thai shin pads unsuitable for Krav as the foot elastic caused me to slip when worn with my flat MA shoes. Plus, I don’t want to have to replace them in a few weeks as the elastic has worn through.

I have therefore just purchased some Twins shinguards which come without the foot protection. The lack of foot protection wont be an issue as I strike with my lower shin / instep.

I’ll post an update once I get to road test them.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: