Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Shoes, No Shoes… Too Much Traction

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    kirsten

Re: Shoes, No Shoes… Too Much Traction

quote Jeremy Stafford:

Because many of the students that take up Krav are a little older and maybe not super athletes, we will often teach the round kick with a “cheat step” as an option rather that a pivot. Generally this is a teaching tool until the requiste skill level is there for the pivot. Remember, we want people to be able to use these basic combatives almost immediately after learning them.

Good advice Jeremy. This is the main way we kick with a step slightly out (think “pre-pivot”). So we step out just slightly, so the toes are out or way out (depending on flexiblity) prior to the kick being made. I also don’t have to worry about slipping and falling as much, friction also slows things down when you pivot and speed is power. We teach both ways but it’s individual. After some injuries in KM classes with people wearing no shoes, we have made it mandatory to have foot wear of some kind. Someone lost a toenail I think… *gag

Toenails are bad enough, it’s the pieces of foot skin that really gross me out….

b0123

I use Nike indoor soccer shoes and they work great for me, I’ve never realy experienced any problems with them when kicking and they where not to expensive. I’ve been using them for about two years now so I’m considering buying a new pair but that is more because they are wearing out a bit.

pugnax88

I’ve been training barefoot for a while, and am thinking about picking up these martial arts sock-type things my school has. We just got them in, and I’ve stubbed enough toes to feel these are a good idea. My boots would be too rough on the mats, so I don’t use them. I was stupid enough to not wear shoes during my Level 1 test…won’t be doing that again.

I like the barefoot feel, but the hygeine part of it doesnt set well with me.

I bought a pair of these http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/ The KSO’s

I really like um, just gotta get past the way they look.

bradm

I always wore a pair of New Balance cross trainers. Never had a problem with them. Trained with the same pair for over 4 years – still have them. Although the soles are pretty slick now. Never had a problem with pivoting.

inky

I prefer most Osiris shoes, some D3’s or some flat bottom DC’s. you can find them at most skate shops there designed for skate or biking, nice almost no tread on Eím and loads of padding on the upper instep. now granted mine are worn in from skating and biking in them but if you go practice some pivots on some concrete for a bit Iím sure theyíd be ready for krav class in no time.

Oh and I find them at thrift stores often.

Cheers

quote RFC:

Ok folks… Anyone have thoughts on how to manage the incredible amount of traction you get when you wear rubber soled shoes on the rubber/vinyl pads at the Krav studio?

You might as well have suction cups on your feet by wearing gym, soccer or wrestling shoes on those padded vinyl/rubber floors. One wrong torque through the leg (admit it, it happens) and there goes your knee.

I’ve tried going barefoot a few times and managed to stub a toe or, get a toe cranked back when it got hooked in someone’s clothing or, get them stepped on by someone wearing shoes. I need another injury like I need a hole in my head.

I’m thinking a gym shoe that has a leather sole (like a moccassin) would be helpful. Is there such a thing? Any thoughts on this?

Thanks
    Ray

(Oh, training on a hardwood floor is not an option).

hartez

Same here – when I first started, I just wore running shoes, and my feet always hurt when we did anything with a lot of side-to-side movement. Went to a pair of New Balance cross trainers, and I’ve never hurt my foot since. I buy a new pair about once a year because the padding inside wears down. Even when they’re brand new and at their best, traction-wise, I’ve found that it’s possible to pivot in them just fine.

Also, I’ve noticed that doing having my wife show me yoga poses for opening up my hips and loosening up my legs and groin made more difference in my ability to pivot for round kicks than my shoes ever did.

smokelaw1

I’ve been in wrestling shoes during Krav for the past 2 years. before that it was cross trainers. Very recently, I picked up a pair of these remarkeably ugly contraptions, http://www.karatedepot.com/cl-sh-08.html and so far, I have been very pleased with them. Enough traction to mimik the real world, not so much as to be sticky. Overall I think they are the best of both worlds in training.

jaspthecat

I wear dedicated MA shoes made by Adidas.

They have flat, thin, flexible sole thus allowing a full range (barefoot like) range of motion and offer sufficient (but not too much) grip on surfaces.

Pivoting aint a problem….

elgoyo

I’ll second smokelaw’s recommendation, the Discipline Martial Art shoes are light, comfortable and non-grippy. Just about worn my pair out over the last 2 years, time for new ones.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: