Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Short bust ‘all out’ training????

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    rob-s

As we know it its obviously possible to train your body for endurance training but what is the best way to train for short busts of power? The next part of my grading includes multiple attackers and disorientation training so i want to improve the length of time i can go ‘all out’ for. Any tips or advice?

karlhungus

Crossfit. Google it and look for \”Fight Gone Bad\”.

g-v

Re: Short bust ‘all out’ training????

quote \”Rob-S\:

As we know it its obviously possible to train your body for endurance training but what is the best way to train for short busts of power? The next part of my grading includes multiple attackers and disorientation training so i want to improve the length of time i can go ‘all out’ for. Any tips or advice?

Rob, get your hands on a standing punching bag, put it in the middle of a room, and go all out on it, punching, kicking, kneeing, elbowing…all sorts of fun stuff you learned in class. Don’t stop or let up, follow the movement of the bag as it moves around with your punches and kicks, dance around it and keep beating on it. That’s the best type of endurance training short of sparring in my opinion, as it precisely simulates and builds up the endurance needed for fighting.

I try to do this pre-class, in conjunction to skipping rope while warming up. Unfortunately, my instructor isn’t keen on this type of warm up, so I bought a stand-up punching bag to use on my own, at home.

topitbull

Sprinting for as long as you can is good, when you run out of steam, just walk, and then do it all over again

siayn

Not trying to de-rail, but more of a curiosity question:

What types of warm-up workouts does your school do (if any) before training?

At my school, I go to class for 2 hours a night. We start with 25-30 minutes of 5 minute hard bag drills combined with push-ups, sit-ups, and other painful things I remember from P.E. in high school. I feel like I am being training to do the burst endurance Rob-S is talking about.

Do all schools do this, or something like this?

jjbklb

Try running up & down steps 10 or 15 times 2x a week.

Also,if your center offers fitness-kickboxing,take a couple of sessions a week to supplement your krav conditioning.There is one offered right before my krav class.By the time I have finished both classes,I’m wiped out.

prekarious1

GV> just curious, but why does your instructor frown on you utilizing a bag this way?

clfmak

I second the Crossfit notion, and also the running up stairs. Alternatively, sprinting up hills is an excellent exercise for this. Do this a few times a week. Another exercise- find a parking lot with no one in it (this can actually be a challenge- I used an elementary school parking lot after everyone has gone home) and push your car back and forth as explosively as possible. If this is easy (maybe you drive a Honda Civic like myself), find an incline. When doing this, always remember safety and control are paramount. I’ve heard of some MMA guy who has a harness and a big rope and pulls a car along as he runs.
    I used to be a big fan of doing intense bag work for this type of training, but since then, I believe other exercises are better- otherwise you get sloppy form in your attack.
    Try shadowboxing in slow motion with dumbbells in your hands- use a weight that works for you. Again, don’t lose good form, and focus on safety- don’t overextend and hurt your elbows.

g-v

Re:

quote \”prekarious1\:

GV> just curious, but why does your instructor frown on you utilizing a bag this way?

You know, I don’t even know. I never got a good answer from him. 😆
    There are actually quite a few things I don’t like about my KM class training, such as insisting that I stay in a left-handed fighting stance (I’m lefty) when I’m more inclined to fight from both stances and can hit hard from eather side. But oh well, it’s still good training.

CLF, explain this:

quote :

I used to be a big fan of doing intense bag work for this type of training, but since then, I believe other exercises are better- otherwise you get sloppy form in your attack.

You can’t be serious about that car-pushing thing. 😯

anonymous

How about lifting the car? 😉

g-v

Re:

Hey, why stop at lifting? You could try ripping it apart to develop grip strength. 😆

anonymous

Try to strip it in 60 seconds or less? Now that could be one hell of a workout! 😆

jason-koepke

The car thing is serious. I know a few people who swear by it.

Jason

g-v

Re:

quote \”Jason Koepke\:

The car thing is serious. I know a few people who swear by it.

Jason

Hmmm, there a better and easier ways to get a workout, Jason.

anonymous

I’ve had to push a couple of cars in my life and can see how it could be a good workout, but I just think it would be complicated to find a place where you could actually do that. You’d probably look pretty silly and also, wouldn’t you need another guy to sit in the car and steer it? Otherwise, you might be going in circles the whole time or accidently push it into that brand new Ferrari that happens to be standing on the lot. Then try to explain that to the owner! 🙄 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: