Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Should heavyweight boxing fights be cut to six rounds?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    anonymous

Just watched the Briggs/Liakhovich heavyweight boxing match. 11 1/2 rounds of sleepwalking, then 30 seconds of action. Okay, maybe it’s not the best example of heavyweight boxing, but since most heavyweights are klnd of slow and their conditioning not as strong as that of smaller fighters, wouldn’t it make sense to maybe cut their matches to fewer rounds? That way one might get 20 minutes of action, rather than eight rounds of walking through the ring, followed by just a bit more movement near the end of the match. Of course, none of us is in a position to do anything about it, just something that occurred to me.

Any thoughts?

unstpabl1

I used to be a huge boxing fan,still have a huge respect for the art and fighters.Not so much of a fan at this point.Too easy to corupt as i guess its always been but don kings involvement makes me ill.MMA stuff is already starting to outdraw boxing in Vegas.I’m starting to really lean toward the mma events,though i’m a real recent convert.However,I think it would be much easier to fix a mma event because of the submission aspect and it worries me that one guy owns ufc/pride.they have too much control of the sport……..What was the question? 😳 I like the longer round fights because it brings more skills to the table..you needskills,strength,speed,power,and stamina.I’ve seen many fighters kick butt for 5 rds and run outta gas and lose in the end.

kravjeff

Agree Mike –

I like \”old school\” boxing anyway (at least old school to me 😉 ). Ali, Frazier, Norton, Leonard, Foreman, Spinks, Duran, Hearns, etc … All the way up to where Tyson and Don King ruined it. Let’s go back to 15 rounds, all weight classes!

unstpabl1

Ross on his blog has been posting vids of some of those old school fights.I think i watched Hearns kick the crap outta Duran and a compilation of why Tyson ruled the ring till Cus Damato died and king gotta hold of him and he became uncoachable.What a shame,.I just watched the Toney-
    Peter fight…sumo with gloves…they didn’t have cut men in thier corners……they had paramedics with defibulators and a coroner 😈

mike

anonymous

Yeah, I guess the problem is, we don’t have any real good heavyweights in boxing right now, so it’s pretty boring. If you can see 12 rounds of a good fight, it’s certainly worth it, but so many big guys seem to just sleepwalk through the ring. Smaller fighters (okay, I may be biased here) are so much faster, they can give lots of combinations for the full twelve rounds, but the big guys often seem intend on just letting the time pass by, afraid they are not going to last until the end.

unstpabl1

I always like the lighter weight classes myself,more action.Have you ever gone to a boxing match,Though,I’ve dinked around in some gyms when younger,I’ve only seen one fight live.2nd row,lite heavies,5th vs 6th ranked or so contenders fighting on a muay thai card in Burbank at a hotel.I believe it was a fluke they were on the card and they were fighting to qualify for a big payday.Man,they hit hard.I felt the shots in the 2nd row,woke up all bruised up,may have broke a rib 🙄 Odd thing was the kickboxers hit hard but it didn’t compare to the level the boxers were at.

sundance

5 rounds of boxing and elbow strikes wearing MMA gloves. Would it out sell boxing? What do you guys think?

anonymous

I think MMA itself is going to outsell boxing at some point. It’s just much more interesting.

I’ve seen some live boxing fights, also kick boxing. Yes, you can really feel those punches sitting up close, much more than on TV.

esco

we just saw an ISKA kickboxing event on sat. all the fights were scheduled for 3 rounds, and when a fighter knows he only has to go for 3 and only has 3 to make an impression they’re more likely to step on the gas. plus all the guys from our school won so it was fun night. Harris Sarmiento stopped his opponent James Martinez who couldn’t go on after a feww good body shots and knees to the midsection and Ronald Jhun just dominated and punished his opponent, dude looked like he was seeing pink elephants by the second round, he ended up winning a decision.

anonymous

Pink elephants, huh? 😆 That’s never a good sign.

anonymous

Tomorrow we’ll be able to see Klitschko vs Brock. Let’s see what they can do.

jburtonpdx

I want to see super heavy weights in a 3 minute one round all out brawl. That would be incredible, they would hold nothing in reserve. I think maybe somebody might get hurt though….

😯

anonymous

\”I think maybe somebody might get hurt though…\”

Well, finally!!! 😀

anonymous

Klitschko/Brock wasn’t bad. Nice knockout. Klitschko jab, then Brock’s hands droppend, Klitschko came over the top with a cross, right on the chin, end of fight.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: