Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Should I test into the next level or wait?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

This is a bit of a philosophical question.

Say you’re not quite comfortable today with your ability (nor have the required number of classes) to test up to the next level, but knew that a test was coming up in six weeks.

If you were given the choice, which would you do?

(or if you’re an instructor, what do you advise?)

1) Take one extra class per week for those six weeks, trying to force your number of classes in so you can qualify to take the test, or

2) Relax, stay at your current schedule, and train another six months at the same training / recovery level until you’re SUPER ready?

ie: How much of learning Krav is mental, vs. giving your body time to learn the material?

Put another way, who is better off?

3) The student who barely qualifies into Level 3 but then gets to train with Level 3 students for the next six months, or

4) the student who trains his Level 2 for that same extra 6 months to make sure he is super confident in his Level 2 technique before testing?

I know everyone is different, just searching for a few opinions before I make my decision.

don

Re: Should I test into the next level or wait?

Will it cost anything extra to go to more classes or to take the test or a retest if you don’t pass? Are there differences between the next level and your current level? If so, what are they? If so, how much difference does that make to you?

Might be best to ask people who know or instruct You.

cinnamongirl

For what it’s worth, I didn’t think I was ready to test into Level 3, it was my instructors that told me to test. I didn’t have much of a choice..lol!

Our classes are L3/L4 combined- so I am now training with high L3’s (those who will be testing into L4) and new L4’s. It’s intimidating, and very challenging, but I’m loving it. Training with higher level students forces you to step up your game. Plus, we’re doing more weapons defences, which is SO much fun!

I’d say if your instructors tell you that you are ready, go for it!

Good luck – let us know how it goes!!

magpie

I’m currently about halfway through the number of required classes for L2, but intend on spending a couple of extra months in L2 before I test for L3, because I want to be super-confident in my techniques.

But that’s just me.

quote Magpie:

I’m currently about halfway through the number of required classes for L2, but intend on spending a couple of extra months in L2 before I test for L3, because I want to be super-confident in my techniques.

But that’s just me.

@Magpie
    – I tried (and failed – some kind of forum error) to add my two cents to your post about when you took a Level 2 class that immediately followed a Level 3 class (or whatever it was you’d said).

We have a combined 2/3 that I took only one time, the week after I passed my level 1 test. We were learning some fancy takedown thing, but I hadn’t learned fall breaks yet, so the big Level 3 dude I was training with slammed me to my back on the mat without helping break my fall and just about gave me a concussion. I still have a tingle down one arm from what I assume is a mild spinal injury I suffered that day, and it’s been four months later now. That was the last time I took that class. Level 2 by itself, I can handle just fine (soon as I get my darn hip flexors moving).

krav-math

I second Don’s comments.

To use your numbers, I would say #2 and #4. Level 3 is where things start to get a lot more technical (at least where I train).

But if you have the time to take extra classes each week and you can stay free of injury – take combo classes (levels 2/3, levels 3/4, etc.) because you get a little exposure to what is taught in the next level (i.e. increase your confidence). Take at least one combo class a week along with a dedicated level class at least twice a week. It’s a nice little confidence boost when an instructor demos a “new” technique at the next level and you say to yourself, “I’ve seen that before!”

And with your combo level training partners . . . be very clear as to where you are at in terms of skill level. Don’t be afraid to tell your partner that you are new to a technique and that you may need to ‘walk’ through it a few times. A good partner will understand and accommodate accordingly.

Best wishes!

magpie

Yes…when I do get to L3, I fully intend on starting out with combo classes until I’m more comfortable working at a “higher level”.

It IS a temptation to pile on extra classes each week in order to get to test sooner, but I know myself well enough to know that I learn better at a more relaxed pace. And the only reason for rushing it would be to satisfy my ego.

I notice that I still have a lot of bad technical habits, hence my attending an L1 class every week in order to refine them, without the added task of learning something new.

sch-thurston

Just another opinion so you consider all your options…

I’ve found that I know techniques well enough to pass a test but many fade rapidly thereafter. It indicates to me that I know them like I once knew chemistry: just enough to brain-dump in the exam!

So after P2 I changed things, spending the 2-3 months after a test focusing on repetition and fine-tuning of the “previous” level’s syllabus (quotation marks to indicate that I don’t consider passing the test as the most reliable indicator of my present ability level), together with a small but gently increasing fraction of new material in the “current” level. I also try to put the “previous” techniques into as many new contexts as I can, to test my reactive abilities instead of my ability to recall a technique consciously. The instructors at my place have a tendency to throw P1 curve balls in a P3 class anyway, so it’s been quite easy to adapt my training to facilitate repetition and fine-tuning.

So I’d say let the instructor tell you if he/she thinks you’re ready, test or not based on that, and then whatever happens make sure you spend the weeks after the test locking in what you think you know.

lions2011

WAIT and stay in level 1 as long as possible.
    I spend a whopping 9 months in there and still do a level 1 class 1-2 times per month.

I noticed many students test out in 3 months and have horrible technique and failed to absorb the basics. It is laughable watching them in level 2-3

In my case, I tested out of L1 at three months when my instructor said I was ready. I didn’t think I was but I found out from other students that he won’t tell you to test unless he was 95% certain you would pass so I trusted his judgement. After passing the test I continued to take L1 classes at least once a week but usually twice. When he said I was ready for the L2 test I signed up to test but couldn’t when my asthma acted up.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: