Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Should I try out the weapon level 4-5 classes or not

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    lions2011

I only been doing level 2-3 a short time and still trying to absorb it all. I spent 9 months in level-1 through.

My school has a big shortage of level 4-5 students so they are now asking us new level 2-3 students to join the class to fill in the gaps.

Do you think weapon training is really necessary for non-military or police people. I wonder how much more complex it will be.

Any info. will help. Thanks

It is a golden opportunity to get a pass into the advanced classes but at the same time too much information can be hard to absorb.

Re: Should I try out the weapon level 4-5 classes or not

I would say yes. Over the time I’ve seen you post here, you’re too worried about what you should and shouldn’t do, trying to find that 100% absolute perfect solution when the 80% good enough solution will more than satisfy you. Do it anyways and if it doesn’t work, just stick to what your primary focus for yourself is, which seems to be Level 2/3 class.

charlie1

I would definitely go for it. Seems like very little downside with a lot of opportunity to advance your skills.

Are you in a KMWW school? We have level 1, 2, 3, etc. and have to pass each one before we can proceed to the next. There are classes such as 1/2 and 2/3 where they teach you things from each level, along with classes just for the specific level, but we don’t have combined belts or combined tests.

lions2011

I am in a certified Krav school we have 2 black belt instructors and a few brown belt.
    My rank is yellow belt. We have a beg. class that is level -1, then intermed that is level 2-3 and advanced that is 4/5

I try to attend 4 classes of KRav per week and 2 classes of Muay Thai per week.

don

Try it, you’ll like it. If not, you don’t have to continue to do it…

lions2011

hummm. ok thanks .. I am going to try it !!!

I plan on doing Krav MAga for several more years. I think Krav is the best street system out there.

I told my parents that and they thought the class uses real knives and guns and that I would get badly injured or killed :OhMy: :OhMy:

unstpabl1

Why would you think weapon defense would be only for cops/military?

we are tool using animals. In anger or fear people pick up the nearest thing to hit you with be it a knife, bat, beer bottle, ash tray or vibtrator:chair:If that doesn’t work they’ll run you over with a car

Take the classthumbsup

mdeaneuscg

I’m right there with everyone else above you. I’ve been doing Krav for about a year and a half now, and due to my position in the CG, my instructor gave me a pass to attend weapons classes quite early (I was still in level 1). The benefits FAR outweigh the negatives. First, you’ll find relation to the foundation you’ve been laying in the level 1 classes. It can be hard to really understand the ‘why’ of some of the stuff you do in level 1, until you start seeing the same stuff applied against a knife or gun. Second, it’s not like an attacker is going to care what your level of Krav training is before they mug you with a knife or gun, so if you have the ability, why limit what you are being taught? And third, being able to see and do some of the cooler stuff that comes with a higher level will make you want to get there yourself. I know it has had that effect on me.

lions2011

Ok I thought about it and i am going to take the class. Starts Monday.

Also weapon training has that “cool” factor that almost no other systems provide.

I will let you know in 3 months or so how it is. I hope I can pick it up ok.

Funny I am only a yellow belt in Krav but I am taking level 2-5 classes. Funny how many doors open up once you pass level 1 test in krav maga.

I still plan on attending some more level 1 stuff at a later time. You can never have too much fun doing elbows and hammer fists.

mdeaneuscg

I don’t know how it is at other gyms, but at ours, getting that yellow belt is like a key that can get you in the door of most of the other classes. Whether it’s our ground fighting, fight class, weapons, etc.

Also, as has been said before, I’ve seen your various posts on here as well, and all I can say is you need to stop being overly critical of everything. I highly doubt your instructor would have invited you to the class if he/she did not think you could handle it. Take it as a compliment, and get on with your training. Just because you are doing some weapons stuff doesn’t mean you are missing out on anything, or neglecting your training in anyway. In fact, I think if anything, it helps. Krav isn’t a system where you have to memorize 5 different traditional karate forms or something, so you aren’t going to be cramming too much into your head knowledge-wise. You are still applying the principles, in some cases, you are even making similar defenses, and you become much more aware of your movements, because the stakes raise.

navyone

Interestingly enough, when I took the protection from knife/gun attack class in 2008, I was still level I. There was no prohibition on it, being at that level. I was about to deploy and wanted that training prior to leaving. . .

lions2011

Only gone to 2 classes in level 4-5 and wow does the difficulty get cranked up. I Guess that is why it is advanced.

I find level 1-3 pretty similar in difficulty but the level 4-5 was far more complex.

Level 4-5 has tons of great weapon defense but it also does some take down and ground work too.

I Think learning about knives and gun defense is worth the time.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: