Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    esquire32

Hello all. As I continue to train in Krav, I find that there are some technical areas that diverge from what I have learned in past training environments. One of these areas relates to a side kick. We currently train a side kick with the striking surface being the entire foot as opposed to maybe a more traditional side/blade of foot striking surface or even a heel of the foot stiking surface. Was curious if anyone had any inputs on why Krav usues a whole foot versus a bladed foot especially from those that have cross trained other styles. I could come up with my own ideas for both, again, just wondering if anyone with greater Krav experience has the textbook answer to this.

Caveat: This is not intended as a one is better than the other thing as much as an information exchange on the concept behind the movement.

bear34

Re: Side Kicks……

quote esquire32:

Hello all. As I continue to train in Krav, I find that there are some technical areas that diverge from what I have learned in past training environments. One of these areas relates to a side kick. We currently train a side kick with the striking surface being the entire foot as opposed to maybe a more traditional side/blade of foot striking surface or even a heel of the foot stiking surface. Was curious if anyone had any inputs on why Krav usues a whole foot versus a bladed foot especially from those that have cross trained other styles. I could come up with my own ideas for both, again, just wondering if anyone with greater Krav experience has the textbook answer to this.

Caveat: This is not intended as a one is better than the other thing as much as an information exchange on the concept behind the movement.

My instructors said(and it makes a lot of sense to me) is that if you kick with a bladed foot there is much more chance of rolling your ankle. If you think about it, you are trained in Krav Maga to strike in a manner as not to harm yourself. For example, in the IKMF, we are taught to straight punch with the wrist at a 45 degree angle with the first two knuckles. I doubt that this is the way to throw the hardest punch, but it is a position in which you are least likely to roll your wrist or break your hand.

stuartf

The Complete Krav Maga book actually says to strike with the heel on a side kick, but it may be a bit out of date with the official curriculum.

esquire32

I just read that in the “yellow book”. Kicking with the heel is a theory I understand ( ie. smaller surface area, etc), so we may be in the land of instructor preference over technical accuracy.

kevinmack

The way I was taught to throw a side kick in Krav Maga by my instructor(and the way I teach it) was to basically throw it as a back kick and not a :traditional” side kick. Meaning that your knee and toes are not facing horizontal but downwards. You are still in a Side Outlet Stance but you roll your hip..pointing one buttcheek to the target and since your toes are down the point of contact has to be your heel or the bottom of your foot. This is basically the same mechanic as a back kick yet you are in a side outlet stance. This is much more efficent than a “traditional martial arts” side kick as it utilizes the glutes and hamstrings and not the quads.
    I noticed some KM groups dont teach it that way so I asked my instructor when he learned that and he said thats how he was taught to throw a side kick by Eyal Yanilov in the 1981 instructor course under Imi’s guidance.
    It takes a little getting used to for some people but once you get it down it is wicked effective.

kevinmack

one other thing…by throwing the side kick the way I described you also made it consistant for attack in all directions. You are kicking the exact same was as a Defensive Front Kick…a Back Kick and a Side KIck. The same exact body mechanics and muscles are used.

stuartf

quote KevinMack:

The way I was taught to throw a side kick in Krav Maga by my instructor(and the way I teach it) was to basically throw it as a back kick and not a :traditional” side kick. Meaning that your knee and toes are not facing horizontal but downwards. You are still in a Side Outlet Stance but you roll your hip..pointing one buttcheek to the target and since your toes are down the point of contact has to be your heel or the bottom of your foot. This is basically the same mechanic as a back kick yet you are in a side outlet stance. This is much more efficent than a “traditional martial arts” side kick as it utilizes the glutes and hamstrings and not the quads.
    I noticed some KM groups dont teach it that way so I asked my instructor when he learned that and he said thats how he was taught to throw a side kick by Eyal Yanilov in the 1981 instructor course under Imi’s guidance.
    It takes a little getting used to for some people but once you get it down it is wicked effective.

I’m going to try this, as my back kicks are way stronger than my side kicks.

esquire32

That is good input and is essentially what ive seen highlighted in some other arts with the emphasis on the heel as almost a hybrid side back kick.

tzrider

quote bear34:

My instructors said(and it makes a lot of sense to me) is that if you kick with a bladed foot there is much more chance of rolling your ankle.

This is especially true with a shoe with any real sole thickness, such as a combat boot.

catapult

Complete Krav says basically the same thing as Kevin. Pivot on the base foot and turn it into a quasi back kick.

“For more power and greater height, bend your body over the opposite hip. As your foot moves toward the target, pivot your left (base) foot out so that your left heel points toward the target. Make contact with the bottom of your right heel.”

lions2011

SInce most of us do not have great flexibility. I think the best method for a side kick is right to the knee!!!.

That would for sure stop me in my tracks.

ari-free

And here is Boaz Aviram demonstrating a side kick to the knee.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SOUGgYSoMQ

moni

quote lions2011:

SInce most of us do not have great flexibility. I think the best method for a side kick is right to the knee!!!.

That would for sure stop me in my tracks.

I don’t have great flexibility so I have found that the higher you bring your knee of the kicking leg, the higher the side kick. So pretty much when I go for a high sidekick, I try to get my knee as close as I can to my head before the actual kicking motion (I don’t get even close but it makes my kicks higher). I find this then just solely relies on balance.

I too have learnt to sidekick with my toes facing downards, hence impact with the heel.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: