Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

I’m a complete novice, havent’ even achieved a level one rating yet, and having a hard time getting the technique down for side kicks (knee and thigh level only).
    My instructors have advised stepping forward with the lead foot at a 90 degree angle and then following through with the side kick, but my hips just won’t rotate the way they should, so I don’t have as much power in the snap as I want.
    Anyone else have this issue and how did you resolve it?

giant-killer

Re: Side kicks

Side kicks can be tricky and it may take a while to get them right. Nothing to worry about. Just think of a side kick as a stomp, but sideways rather than straight down. Do them slowly, even holding on to the wall for balance, just to understand the motion. Then lift your leg with your knee bent (as you would for front kick) and “stomp” to the side. Hit a low target first. If you are not very flexible, you may have to lean over to the opposite side to reach a higher target. Just let the teacher show you the motion and then do it slowly until you get it, then speed it up and go for more power.

sip

I find the best way to improve side kick technique is to train from a neutral stance. left the kicking leg straight up, and pivot on the opposite foot as you extend the side kick. This means that if you’re kicking with the right leg, your left heel should ideally by pointed in the direction of the kick on full extension/impact.

sip

That’s LIFT the kicking leg, and the heel should ideally BE pointed in the direction of the kick. Sorry about the typos.

jay99

Nickolas, I have read your post over a few times and I get the strong feeling you are describing a round kick as opposed to a side kick. Is that the case?

craig-p

Nice pick up Jamie thumbsup. Bet your right!

Jay, yes.
    Sorry. That’s what I meant.

leejam99

There are 3 major components to good round kick.

1. placement of the lead foot – first, when you step with the forward leg, it needs to pass the target. meaning….imagine if you standing in front of the heavy beg in your fighting stance. now think of your feet as being on a rail road track and your opponents feet or the bag is on the same rail road track. when u step with the foward leg, you mush step PASS the track on the left if you are standing normal. This makes your power go all the way through the target and out the other side.

2. pivoting of the lead foot – you can either pivot the lead foot as you kick or step your foot already turned (this is taught in Bas R. system). Either way, you have to pivot! if not, your will not be able to turn your hips. I step with my foot already turned but as i kick, it pivots even more so i do both.

3. turning of you hips/shoulders – your hips must go the same direction as your weapon to the target. when you punch, your hips should be turning with the punch, when you do groan kicks, your hip should be going forward and up. on a round kick, you have to turn your hips towards the direction of the target. Think about using a bat to hit a baseball. you lead with the bottom of the bat where you are griping and the top of the bat swings all the way through even after you make contact. If you don’t swing through…that a bunt. well.. your hip is the bottom and your leg is the top. this is the way your round kick should be. There should not be a snap or a loud slapping sound when you hit the heavy bag. it should be like a solid bat that is swining through the heavybag and you should here a big TUD! you also need to hit with the middle of your shin..not your feet.

now if you can’t turn your hips even if you pivot correctly…well, you need to start stretching more.

hope that helps a bit…its hard to teach it right without being in front of you but i’m sure your instructor should be able to convey the same teaching points.

giant-killer

When I was new and first saw someone demonstrating a round kick I knew right there and then that I would positively never, ever be able to do such a kick with any force. It just looked way too weird, standing on one leg, pivoting, hitting something, then bringing the leg all the way back to the starting position.

Well, eventually, with practice I learned it and now round kick is probably my favorite kick (or second favorite, right after groin kick ;): ). So don’t become discouraged, it may take a while, but practice makes perfect and if you just stick with it and keep working on it, soon you’ll be blasting the bag!

jay99

quote leejam99:

There are 3 major components to good round kick.

1. placement of the lead foot – first, when you step with the forward leg, it needs to pass the target. meaning….imagine if you standing in front of the heavy beg in your fighting stance. now think of your feet as being on a rail road track and your opponents feet or the bag is on the same rail road track. when u step with the foward leg, you mush step PASS the track on the left if you are standing normal. This makes your power go all the way through the target and out the other side.

2. pivoting of the lead foot – you can either pivot the lead foot as you kick or step your foot already turned (this is taught in Bas R. system). Either way, you have to pivot! if not, your will not be able to turn your hips. I step with my foot already turned but as i kick, it pivots even more so i do both.

3. turning of you hips/shoulders – your hips must go the same direction as your weapon to the target. when you punch, your hips should be turning with the punch, when you do groan kicks, your hip should be going forward and up. on a round kick, you have to turn your hips towards the direction of the target. Think about using a bat to hit a baseball. you lead with the bottom of the bat where you are griping and the top of the bat swings all the way through even after you make contact. If you don’t swing through…that a bunt. well.. your hip is the bottom and your leg is the top. this is the way your round kick should be. There should not be a snap or a loud slapping sound when you hit the heavy bag. it should be like a solid bat that is swining through the heavybag and you should here a big TUD! you also need to hit with the middle of your shin..not your feet.

now if you can’t turn your hips even if you pivot correctly…well, you need to start stretching more.

That is about as good as an explanation as I think one can get. Just remember… <said in the best Bas imitation I can do> If you keeck, keeck good! Do everything 100%!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: