Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Student Lounge Skin Eating Fungus Killing Judo in Japan

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    nate

I hadn’t heard about this before, but it’s been around for awhile – sounds pretty nasty.

quote :

They are among the most famous fighters in the world, renowned for their discipline, speed and toughness. Now Japanís martial artists are being laid low by an epidemic that is inflicting them with itching, disfigurement and baldness.

Doctors and officials say the sport of judo is facing ruin because of an infectious skin fungus spreading through clubs across Japan. It is passed from one participant to another during the grappling that is at the heart of the sport.

Practitioners of Western-style wrestling and the ancient sport of sumo have also been afflicted by Trichophyton tonsurans, a skin-eating fungus similar to athleteís foot. So concerned is the sportís governing body, the All Japan Judo Federation, that it commissioned research to gauge the extent of the problem.

It revealed that almost one third of judo clubs and half of all high-school judo teams have been struck by the fungus, which is highly infectious and difficult to treat. Its symptoms include patches of redness on the neck, face and upper body, which are often itchy and swollen.

The fungus most often affects the scalp, sometimes causing patches of skin to flake off, but often displaying few obvious symptoms in the early stages. Left untreated the fungus can enter the hair follicles, causing loss of hair. Treatment consists of a three-month course of drugs.

The prospect of fungus-infested Olympians or sumo wrestlers deprived of their famous topknots has caused wide disquiet. ìThe federation has become worried about the situation,î said Seitaro Hiruma, a professor of dermatology at Juntendo University, Tokyo, who carried out the research.

ìNow they are saying that if they leave this infection unchecked it will ruin Japanese judo.î In a letter to judo clubs across the country the federation pleaded with judoka, as judo practitioners are called, to take part in the survey. ìIf this infection spreads it may harm the image of judo and canít but contribute to the decline of the sport,î the letter read. ìSo please cooperate with this research.î The contagion is a side-effect of the great success of judo and its growing internationalisation since it became an Olympic Sport in the 1964 Tokyo Games. Professor Hiruma said that Trichophyton tonsurans originated in Latin America. ìThe infection started in America in 1960s after the revolution in Cuba when lots of refugees moved into US,î he said. ìWrestlers brought it into Europe and the infection spread among the wrestling population.î In Japan the number of wrestlers is small ñ 50,000 ñ compared with 500,000 judoka. Japanese judo athletes got infected in Europe and brought it back to Japan.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/article6072282.ece

mara-jade

Re: Skin Eating Fungus Killing Judo in Japan

Yikes..:OhMy:

emil

As it relates to Krav–Street shoes on mats, dirty clothes or gear, or known infection on one person=ringworm or staph at the whole school.

la-revancha

quote nate:

In Japan the number of wrestlers is small ñ 50,000 ñ compared with 500,000 judoka.

HOLY COW! Half a million judoka?!

quote nate:

Professor Hiruma said that Trichophyton tonsurans originated in Latin America. ìThe infection started in America in 1960s…Wrestlers brought it into Europe and the infection spread among the wrestling population.î…Japanese judo athletes got infected in Europe and brought it back to Japan.

Why does it always have to point back to the Latin Americans? >:(

kirsten

It’s really frustrating… My guys have competed in sub-leagues and come back with ringworm. They are so good about spotting it early, warning everyone, getting it treated and taking time off. But it SUCKS when it happens. The time off, the cost, the pain in the butt.

On a side note, staph is everywhere… its on YOU right now. The thing is it is in balance on your skin with other bacteria. When it gets out of balance, for various reasons you have a problem. I keep a staph antiseptic designed for what we do. My guys get a cut in class, the use the antiseptic on it and bandage it to be safe. I really recommend all school owners keep it handy for their students or put it in your gym bag with a small bandage kit… bandaids (spiderman or wonderwoman) and sports tape, some advil too.

Secondly, clean your mats! We use a big yard sprayer filled with the disinfectant. Sweep the mats, then spray…. Mop your mats regularly…

I don’t know about you guys, but I wish these competitions would check for this stuff at the medical check or at weigh in’s, just as an extra safeguard. It won’t catch it all but I would think it would help…

greenbeanie

quote Kirsten:

I keep a staph antiseptic designed for what we do.

What’s the name of the staph antiseptic? I’ve got everything in my gym bag but that.

quote La Revancha:

HOLY COW! Half a million judoka?!

Why does it always have to point back to the Latin Americans? >:(

I don’t think they said it in a harmful way, but anyways I believe the only responsible for this are the judoka themselves. I have always believe that Hygiene is a MUST, for Martial artists and any sport in general. Lack of Hygiene is a disrespect to our fellow practitioners. Hope they find a solution for this problem soon.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: